line stengths on rods

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
looking at a couple of my rods yesterday I was looking at the recomened BS line to use one was 3lb-6lb the other 5lb-9lb and I wondered why not just put the max bs line to use

for example the 5-9lb bs rod was a barbel rod and I can see why the manufactuerer put 9lb as max so no one would put 20lb line on it break it and claim they didn't know but 5-9lb - what's to stop me using it with a reel of 3lb line if I want - it would not effect the rods performance

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You may find that if you use heavier line than recommended it may hinder casting, can't see why not to use a lighter one though.

Lark

Reaction score
The stiffer action rods could break light hooklengths or lines during the 'strike' process if they weren't in balance with the rod action.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Yes all the rods made are tested with lines to get the best results from the rod. The guide is there for you to go fishing and get the best from it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The best lines to use depend on the test curve of the rod, between 3 and 6 times the TC.

So a 1½lbs test curve would suite lines between 4½lbs (3 x 1½) and 9lbs (6 x 1½). You can go slightly over the max, say a 10lbs line, but I wouldn't go under the minimum, no way.

Hence 5 - 9 lbs is about right, if your rod has a 1½lbs TC.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Wouldn't it also depend on the action, a 13ft match rod may well reach 90 degrees of bend at very low pressure say 1/2lb but still be rated at 3-6lb line because further down the blank there is more "back bone".
Yes, quite agree. It's a bit of a generalisation and applies more to rods with a TC of 1lbs or greater, but even then, rules can be broken. So long as you have some idea of what's happening.

Also, you may usea 1½lbs TC rod with 12lbs line just in case you want it to pull through weed, as is the case with a rod I use. Then what about using braid of 40lbs on a 3 lb TC rod - where does that leave you?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Wouldn't it also depend on the action, a 13ft match rod may well reach 90 degrees of bend at very low pressure say 1/2lb but still be rated at 3-6lb line because further down the blank there is more "back bone".

Exactly what I did say just a bit ago back up there.

You would also never get the benefit of the rod's full playing / fighting action as the line would not necessarily be able to put a full bend in it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you can use whatever BS line you want (within reason) at the high end as you know if your gonna snap your rod or not. It's the lower BS that is the most important to stick too due to break off's on the strike or the line giving before the rods reached a decent curve.
One thing I have noticed is that many rods will actually snap before their higher recommended reel line will if you just keep putting the pressure on.