Underwater video

B

Big Rik

Ok, so I've already done the PVA mesh with pellet, anybody want anything else videoed in the tank?
I'm going to do a stick mix this weekend, any ingredients in particular?

Anything else?

Suggestions here please and if I can do it I will.

njb51

Reaction score
id be interested to see what different particles do in water and what they give off and for how long.

F

Frothey

what about oils in the bag, liquids like fosfor, activator and dynamites glugs

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
if given the choice mate, why not show the forum how 3 different presentations behave underwater such as:

a standard bottom bait
a standard pop-up bait
a standard snowman bait

you might wanna add wafting actions to demonstrate the settling and unsettling of each bait.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I would like to see how critcally balanced baits act as free offerings.
I have been thinking about baiting with boilies with different boyences (obviously all neutral or below).
Was wondering how a bait on a rig would act with the free offerings and whether a pop up would best suit it as they try to catch the baits wafting around.

Well thats the plan anyway!

O

Ozz

What about an active groundbait mix for the method feeder, i.e. one thats throwing up particles which are then settling back down thru the water.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
You can see a video of that on the solar website.
Looks pukka for a zig rig method mix.(see my old thread of the same name)

B

Big Rik

All my bait and PVA is free, so no worries there, it's just the time to do it.

Suggestions that take longer than about 60 seconds of video aren't really worth doing, the files will be too big to download.

malc

Reaction score
Rik, when you do this, how do you change it to a format that can be viewed on the pc? Do you convert it to mpeg or something? I have never really looked into it, although I do have 'Windows Movie Maker'.

Its something I would'nt mind trying myself, so any tips would be greatly appreciated?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ideally, the video clips need to be MPEGS and less than 2MB, otherwise they're too big for most people to download and view.

malc

Reaction score
I have just had a lttle play around and it looks simple enough for even me!!

I may have a go later!

Which software do you use Rik/Graham? Do you think WMM would be adequate?

B

Big Rik

you got an underwater camera then Malc?

My camera actually saves it as an AVI, which is Apple Quicktime, I use Quicktime Pro to trim the rubbish from the front and back of the file and then convert it to Mpeg format.

It's easy enough, it's just getting the camera in the tank and videoing it that's the work up.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Malc, what Rik uses is probably the easiest way. You could get one of the all singing all dancing editing programmes but the only real advantage is that you can then have all kinds of title sequences, menus, scene wipes and fades and that kind of stuff. All unnecessary for what you're trying to achieve here.

malc

Reaction score
To be honest Rik, I wrongly thought your set-up would include a tank and a camera used from the outside. Have you or anyone tried doing it this way?

I would have thought with the lens right up against the glass, focussed in close (macro? )and using natural light, this would produce reasonable results?

B

Big Rik

don't know Malc, I've got a ?200 underwater case for mine.
(more money than sense????)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If you set it up right as you say, and the light over the top of the tank is powerful enough, that will work. But it'll never be as good as a camera actually in the water. It might be good enough though Malc, so give it a go.