SMCS

I

Ian Cloke

Recommendations

One of the outcomes of the initial project was a number of recommendations to fisheries managers to avoid or mitigate the effects of SCMS.

? Avoid stocking carp into waters that already hold an established carp population. Over half of the studied SCMS cases had received a recent introduction of new fish. If possible, increase the natural productivity and improve the habitat of the water to promote natural recruitment.
? Disinfect all equipment that comes into contact with the water. Iodophor-based disinfectants are effective if used correctly. Carefully drying fishing tackle, nets, etc., and exposing to direct sunlight also has a sterilising effect.
? If a mortality incident occurs stop fishing. This will reduce the stress on the fish and allow their immune system the best chance of fighting the disease. This action would also reduce the risk of spreading an infectious agent to other waters.
? Talk to your local Environment Agency Fisheries Officer. They are able to provide advice and help

For further information please contact Jane Snow on 01480 483019 or jane.snow@environment-agency.gov.uk or Viv Shears, ECHO, on 07843306661 or viv.shears@homecall.co.uk

Sorry it's taken 3 pages to put it all on.

B

Big Rik

probably best for Graham to stick all that in an article on the front page

I

Ian Cloke

I don't know how to get in touch with Graham, if someone could then please do so.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
This press release was published in full on this site on 4th May:

SCMS Press Release

I'll delete the other two posts of yours Ian to save confusion.

Thanks for the effort of putting it on anyway.