Can't do without ingredient?

malc

Reaction score
Whether you are making up a stick or method mix, or rolling your own boilies - what is the one ingredient you would never leave out, and why?

For me, I think it has to be betaine.

The reason being it is a natural attractor which is naturally found in many things, such as fish, molluscs plants etc which are of course often found in abundance in a carpy environment. It is also known to be a stimulant, so therefore could be considered as an atractor to bring the carp on to feed.

F

Frothey

difficult one.....but i probably use salmon oil in most things....

B

Big Rik

very difficult one, as there isn't one thing i add to every bait I make.

I add betaine to alot of things, getting it by the kilo helps, as you don't tend to worry about sticking a spoonful here and there.

Something I add to about 80% of my baits is salt, and the other thing is . . . . . . .

R

Rodney Wrestt

Betaine for me too Malc, still not too sure of the quantities required though, I tend to add whatever feels right on the day, I put it in paste, add it to corn and add it to the water I use when prepairing expanders and softening mixers.

malc

Reaction score
As far as I understand it Rodders, as its a natural product it can be used in dfferent levels without having any adverse effects.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Yes, that's my understanding too Malc, but I'm unsure how little I can get away with but still give the bait sufficient cover. I tended to overload to be on the safe side :eek:) I've discussed this with Frothey before and I think I'd been too generous in the past so I intend cutting back a little to see if I can make the stuff last longer.

malc

Reaction score
Rightly or wrongly, If I'm rolling boilies I use 2 teaspoons per kilo dry mix.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I was using that in a small tin of corn, overload or what?

Mo-da-bag-man

Reaction score
Yep i'm with you on this one Malc...BETAINE...comes in several different forms but it's the powered betaine that is a must in all my bag mix's. Not only is it a high attraction ingredient but it's also very good for the fish.The fact it's used in many commerial fish diets is abit of a give away.
A bait is not complete without it.