Which digital?

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, I'm not really after information, but Graham is selling his Canon G6 that is 7MP and he says he's buying the new EOS 350D that has 8mp.

Whatever he does, it's his choice and I don't know just how much or what other reasons he needs such clarity, but perhaps he and others amongst you answer this:

What is the minimum MP you would recommend for internet pictures such as are found on this site?

Mine are taken with a Fuji A303 with 3 megapixels and they seem clear enough to me on the site, but if I were to buy a new camera (and maybe Graham's) what is the minimum you would recommend?

F

Frothey

3mp is more than enough geoff....in a way its more down to the lens and the software - bit like slr's where its the lens quality lens and metering that make the difference. the pics on here are shrunk down in quality anyway

C

Cakey

he is probably more interested in the slr part of the camera than the extra 1mg.
what you see is what you get.............

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, 3 megapixels is more than good enough for web use and as Frothey says, a good lens is much more important.

Lots of mp's come in handy when you're blowing up small areas of a bigger picture or printing to A4 or larger. Even though 3mp's are good enough for the web I still use my current G6 on 7mp's so I can get a good image from even a tiny portion of the picture.

And Cakey's right too, I miss the SLR, the wysiwyg bit. If you use the viewfinder on a compact to take a close-up then you suffer from parallax error. If you use the screen then it's not as clear as the viewfinder.

But mainly I want to go back to an SLR because I've missed using a 'proper' camera, one I've been used to for years.

I reckon the G6 is the best camera on the market for anglers, with its swivel screen and infra red remote, 7 megapixels and excellent lens. But it's not an SLR.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I also have a Canon G6 and it's fine for me. Takes lovely shots and is nice and compact.

W

Wolfman Woody

I can appreciate you wanting crisper pictures for the Coarse Fisherman articles, Graham.

Yes, I have had a small problem with parralex, but often the screen is ok to work with on mine, indoors at least.

I only asked because a lot of images sent to me come at 72 ppi and then I don't see the difference. So long as mine is still giving good service I'll stick with it and use the proper SLR camera and Series 1 with good old film when I want more control.

G

Ged

A good site for digital cameras is ukdigital.co.uk. found them to be cheapest and are based in Clitheroe, Lancs.

C

Cakey

Cheers Ged but they are ?10 dearer than Grahams site..............
Sold me 8080 last night got a Olympus 5050 to sell if anyone is interested ,its boxed with all the gear and 128m card (xd),a lowepro,4 extra batteries and a card reader.........................offers to cakey.sandra@ntlworld.com

me Canons on its way.............

C

Cakey

or you can phone me on 07904015329

p.s. lowepro is a camera case

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's not fair Cakey, I can't afford to send for mine until I've sold the G6.

Come on, there must be somebody who wants a bargain G6 plus a wide angle lens, both still under warranty.

Cakey, let me know what you think about the 350D when it arrives.

G

Gary Knowles 2

I'd reccommend anyone after a digital camera to buy the Canan G6 off Graham. I've got the same one and it's superb.

If you look at this months Coarse Fisherman all the shots of my Brog bream and tackle are taken with the G6 and I think they are amongst the best photo's I have took.

don't be shy - someone should bite his hand off.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The current best price I've seen for a new G6 is ?370.00 with postage. Mine is still under warranty and has a wide angle lens that cost about ?100.00 (also still under warranty). I'll sell the camera and lens for ?360.00.

Anybody interested send me an email:

<a href=mailto:graham@fishingmagic.com>graham@fishingmagic.com</a>

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You'll get a good picture but be wary of the viewfinder. It's not an optical one but just another small monitor like the screen on the back. Very difficult to see anything in poor light, especially when taking flash shots in the dark, when you'd need a really powerful torch to get things framed and in focus.

alan

Reaction score
cheers Graham,
for the light i tend to use my mfa headlight as i had the same problem on my other camera(mrs took it away with her and managed to destroy the button, ?110 to get it repaired)
must admit they do a cheap ?30 camera i was looking at for her and the kids to destroy (use) and have the other one for me.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Graham, if I had the cash I'd bite your hand off. I'm fed up with taking my SLR and flash for short trips. It's not an issue when the car is nearby, but I have a tendency to get as far away from the car park.

Alan, I chose the Fuji S5000 (the precursor to the S5500) for my Dad and Brother and have used them quite a bit.

They are really good in bright daylight and give sharp, vibrant pictures. The weakpoints are battery life (same with most at that price), focusing on moving subjects and metering in the dark.