Carp Deaths

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There have been massive fish deaths reported in parts of the northwest recently. Affecting carp only up to now.
Tests are being done by variouse people to try and find the cause. Rumours vary as to what is causeing it, and I don't want to make a definate statement. as I don't think anybody can at the moment.
The E.A. and other bodies are investigateing at the moment.

I have just one question, is their any worse disease than S.V.C. ??

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes PJTC!

That's 'People Jumping To Conclusions'.

Not Joking either Baz, wait to hear what the report says. It could be anything, overstocking, new stocks, oxygen depletion ........

T

The Monk

oxygen depletion is a good bet, it happens in shallower waters

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not jumping to any conclusions lads, this is very serious. A lot more than spawning, or annual oxygen depletions.
I was called back from a fishing break this weekend to help inform people of the situation.

But you are right, as one of the first reports was that it was a chemical spill or something that had caused it in the River Weaver. Since then things hav egone worse, so we are playing on the cautiouse side of things. Fingers crossed.

M

madpiker

is there also some condition that effects spawning carp?a local club had carp dying in one of their lakes a few years ago.they were tested and the EA found no diseases,they reckoned that it was warm weather that got the fish ready to spawn,then a cool snap lowered the water temps,which stopped them from spawning,the subsequent stress that they suffered killed quite a few.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is quite common on pools with a mixture of fish but mainly carp.

Our local lake suffered much the same sort of thing a few years ago and resulted in the loss of over 300 carp up to 28lb. The result of the tests on some of the dead fish found nothing conclusive and it seems that this happens on a regular basis throughout the country.

I don't think any authority has come up with anything conclusive, it just happens, but its terrible watching these fish die in front of you and knowing you are helpless to do anything. I spent a week along with a few other helpers netting out dead fish and burying them and it wasn't pleasant.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't want people to jump to conclusions over anything I say.
But this could well have an affect on stocking policies in the future.

These (below) are only my thoughts on what could happen.
In recent years clubs etc have leaned more towards stocking carp over silver fish through cormorant loss, and I suppose the demand in what people want.
So if, and it is only if at the moment this is as serious as thought, would clubs etc then start to think that all the money they have poured into buying more carp has now effectively gone down the drain.

I do'nt want anybody to read anything derogatory in this but, it could well be a lesson learned.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i overheard a discussion in my local tackle emporium a week or so ago....apparently upto 50 carp found dead in the nene near oundle,during spawning period after it had been electrofished by the enviroment agency???

i pass the nene at oundle every morning whilst in me truck.i remember seeing carp lads bivvied up during the first few days of the river season....not seen any since.
coincidence???

E

EC

I believe carp deaths have also been reported in a local canal.

H

Herr General Swordsy

when carp spawn its a very energetic stressfull occurance, if it is interupted or goes on too long they will suffer mortalities.

E

EC

Just to reiterate Baz's question, without jumping to conclusions, does anyone know of anything worse than SVC?

I am quite ignorant of matters related to types of fish disease etc and would appreciate a little info in this area!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with spawning Lee mate.
Not on this scale anyway.

All I would say is that if any of the Cheshire set are thinking of fishing any carp waters, please check with your local Environment Agency first.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the E.A. had the power to close a water if it was suspected of being diseased.
Apparantly this is not true, it is entirely up the owner.

Even more disturbing is the fact that these deaths have been happening for some time, (months) and people have been allowed to fish regardless.

I can't say too much on here, but questions are going to be asked.

J

Jaffa

Baz, this happened to our local lake back in January. The EA advised the Club to stay open until test results came back. All the tests came back clear and it only affected the Carp population.

The EA said was this is very common and they are investing alot of money into researching these mortalities.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Jaffa.
Do you remember what the symptoms were, or were there any marks on the carp, patchy scales etc?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is the point Jaffa,
the E.A. can only advise an owner to close down, (so I am told) how stupid can that be?
Think of the damage that could be caused through the time delay of tests being done. At least I belong to a more responsible club, and I am glad to say that up to now, our members are in full support of loseing their fishing until further notice.
Some carp puddle venues are carrying on regardless with the problem in the northwest, as there is money to be made.
But we have been there before have'nt we?

(not you personally jaffa mate)

J

Jaffa

The fish were very lethargic laying in the margins eventually floating on the top motionless, some had secondary infections like cotton wool on them. Most of them looked dead but infact were still alive.

We had nearly 4 Months of it before it stopped and only have a few Carp left. The hardest part was killing them! but we had no choice.

H

Herr General Swordsy

Aye its a nightmare, losing fish is never a good thing for whatever reason.

I hope whatever is causing the fish deaths can be pinpointed Baz, just today I was reading about a parasite carried by the top-mouth gudgeon and don't even get me started on illegal and irresponsible movements of fish stocks but now is not the time to lecture, just cross fingers and pray.

If the Nene has indeed lost a lot of fish then I send out my thoughts to all the lads who fish the area, very sad.

W

Wolfman Woody

Question Baz - have the deaths occured since or while you had the thunderstorms?