James's first codling

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Excellent read brought the memories flooding back from when i was a lad on holiday in Cornwall. We would always have a day trip on the boats as a change from the rock fishing.

alan

Reaction score
great read, makes a change to read a sea fishing story. i keep thinking about taking my 10year old out with me. that has just made up my mind.

J

James Townsend

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm really glad you liked it. Alan, I reckon your lad will love a day out with his dad; for me it's a memory that's as fresh in my mind as it was 40 years ago!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Heart wrenching and superb - I have three children and two are boys. I never had a father buy prey to god my boys have the same admiration and feeling of utter security that you had with yours.

Beautiful and thanks

C

Clive Evans 1

Lovely story James.

Took me instantly back to holiday in Bridlington in the early 60s which included magic days out on the boats.

Returned about six years ago to find a much-diminished industry, but still had a good day out.

Thanks for the memories.

J

James Townsend

It pleases me very much that enjoyed reading my efforts. Many, many thanks.

J

James Townsend

...that of course should have read

It pleases me very much that you enjoyed reading my efforts. Many, many thanks.

W

Wolfman Woody

Thanks James, you brought back a lot of old memories of Brid to me.

Glad you got the old chestnut in too about the jam. Strange this is, it does help!

And those boat names, plus Three Brothers and Two Sisters. Or was it the other way around?

Did you ever watch the gannets follwoing you back in, ding to 12, 15 feet down for the fish guts and stuff?

pure MAGIC, but then that's what this site is all about!

J

James Townsend

Brid and the east coast of Yorkshire has always been a special place for my family, going way back some 60 years when my folks used to go on holiday there before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye. Watching the sea birds from the cliffs at Thornwick Bay on Flamborough Head or the tractor pushing out the boats from Filey - it was all magic. The amount of birds that circled the returning boats used to stun (and somewhat un-nerve me) me as a kid, it was an amazing sight.

R

Robin Higgins

What a wonderful piece! I've never been into sea fishing but I see the themes of anticipation and excitement run through all angling disciplines.

"forever asking how to tell if I?d ?got one.?"

When my dad first took me fly fishing at the age of 7 I kept asking exactly the same question. We used to set the rod up in the back garden and I'd practice my casting and retrieving and then dad would grab the leader gently to simulate a take - happy days!

Aren't Dads great!

W

Wolfman Woody

I've got a deckchair in the back garden with "Bridlington UDC" on it. Dad got it in 1967 from a bloke on the seafront. His sign read "Deckchairs 2/- each" and dad thought it was too good a bargain to miss.

I

Ian Cloke

James, that has just brought many fond memories back. Thankyou.

J

James Townsend

I'm bowled over that you all enjoyed this piece, it's inspired me to try out some more ideas that have been lurking in the back of my mind for quite a while now.
Cheers.

M

madpiker

an excellent story,i always enjoy reading stuff from the past.none of this tackle tart stuff and naming of expensive kit used etc.

Tom Vahey

Reaction score
A lovely story James, one of the best I have read for a long long time.