Posting rods

D

Deecy

Does anyone have any recent experience of posting 12 foot 2 piece rods.From what I am told Parcelforce and the Royal Mail parcel system won't take them.Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated.

F

Frothey

go to the local carpet warehouse and get an old carpet tube, put the rods in and put loads of carrier bags at each end to act as a shock absorber

Use Interparcel - they use UPS so are pretty reliable....cheap too!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Deecy,

Two years ago I sent some tackle to a young match angler in Scotland and encountered the same problem.
The only method available was to use a courier company and that is VERY expensive.
I sent him a tackle box and a rod and a pole and it cost a shade over ?100

I suggest you search around the courier people, or possibly the railway companies?

Good luck.

Joskin

Reaction score
I used parcel force around 6 months ago with no problems. I organised it all on line and the parcel was collected and delivered for around ?12.

malc

Reaction score
Was that posting a Rod though, Joskin? The current maximum length for a parcel with parcelforce has been in effect for a good few years to my knowledge!

Joskin

Reaction score
Dunno I just filled in the forms on line and sent it.

Joskin

Reaction score
Just looked back at the website and it says they can take parcels upto 3 meters in length. not many rods will be more than 3 meters in length.

malc

Reaction score
Then I must gave got it wrong, I apologise. I thought it was around 1.3 metres?? Perhaps thats just at the Post Office?

W

Wolfman Woody

You can send a 12 foot rod through the post, no problem.

Unless it's going abroad, then there is a length restriction of soemthing like 1.3 metres and it's the airlines that won't handle them. The trouble is the Post office don't train their staff correctly so most of them get confused and just put a length limit on everything.

Trust me, I phoned up their headquarters one day and it even took them 4 hours to come back with the definitive answer on this. I've posted a pole in a 1.8 metre tube and received a rod in a 2 metre tube.

So what they're telling you is a load of old pony!!!

D

Deecy

Thanks chaps,I too remember ParcelForce stating 1.3m was the max hence the question but as Joskin says no such mention now.
e Bay here I come.

M

matt thomas

yep i have bought rods from ebay and parcelforce have delivered,whatever you do don't use initial city link unless you want a five piece rod(yep that happened).use the thick tubes and wrap the rod top and bottom in bubblewrap and stuff some cardboard down when you put the rod in ,put parcel brown tape on top and bottom and place a printed label both sides saying "fragile fishing rods do not place heavy weights on these"
thats my advice

T

tom riordan

copied this from parcelforce site:-
1.5m maximum parcel length, 3.0m maximum length and girth combined

I think malc was about right with his answer.

The 3mtres is 1.5m long X 2m in girth, That would make the diameter 636mm if my calculations are correct so a parcel roughley 1.5 long and just over 1/2 metre wide would be acceptable.

Our firm uses shittylink to get pipe out to us on site and they bring it out in 3m lengths, but I couldnt tell how much it costs.

P

paul williams 2

Pay the postage at the post office....if they say nought just leave the parcel with them....if they say the package is to long take it ( postage must be paid) to your local sorting office counter.....don't take the P and go over the top on length and they will take it and deliver it......they have done it for me.......use decent tubes and insure, it doesn't cost to much.

F

Frothey

or use just use interparcel online! cost me about ?12 insured last time.

had a century fmj delivered by citylink once....in 3 bits......thank god i'd made them insure it!

M

madpiker

my local tackle shop reckons that parcel force treat parcels a bit rough,eg,a pole was delivered with two sections broken into several pieces,the replacement arrived in even more bits!!!!!!!!
masterline sent me a rod by courier two years ago,i checked it before i signed for it,the tip was crushed about 6 inches from the top.the bloke that delivered it said "we`re not really equipped to carry rods,probably one of the heavy parcels in the back slipped and aquashed your rod".well if they are not equipped,then why do they take the parcels in the first place???????????

Joskin

Reaction score
Like I said I filled in the online form for parcel force and it was collected and delivered regardless of length.