Daring to be Different

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
When have you done something different to what the majority are doing on your waters? And did it work?

F

Frothey

i guess i'm lucky in a way as i dont tend to see too many people on the waters i'm fishing at the moment, so i stick to what i do (if that makes sense)and dont worry about others - downside is that theres no pooling of info so it takes longer to work things out.

on the other side of the coin, i'm going to a french venue later in the year where you can only use boilies, and there is one main brand that goes in....indeed on main flavour. all the big hits are on this bait. i've got 3 baits air drying (including 15kg of the going bait).....why bother taking the others?

but then i'd always be wondering "what if".....

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
nice pic though, mustv'e been an incredible photographer to make the most out of such a crap subject like that......

Anyone want to guess how big that common was then?

I

Ian Cloke

Rik, when you used the maggots. Were the ones you spodded out dead? Also did you just use maggots on the hook or did you hair-rig them??

Sorry to be a pain mate but I'm wanting to learn as much as I can;-)

B

Big Rik

Live maggots in the spod on a hungry water and fished in a Medusa ball on a D rig with a ring.

Or that's how I fish.........

Clikfire

Reaction score
I used pepperamie when all around where using boilies, and it worked really well.

I used prawns when people were using corn and maggots, and blanked.

I used cockles (after someone said they were really good)for six hours and didn't get a bite, changed to corn and caught for the rest of the session.

guess the common: it was 18lb 4oz?

malc

Reaction score
Thanks Rik n Stu for a great article, one to get us thinking about what we are doing/can do when the going gets a bit tough.

The weight of the Common?

Its long and pretty lean, & taking into account the distance between the hands/size of hands, camera angle emphasising the head etc - I would say clickfire is pretty close - 17.5

B

Big Rik

why only when the going gets tough Malc?

Why not fish like that as standard and bag an extra fish on every session?

malc

Reaction score
Should'nt really have said that Rik as I do try mate, I really do. Every time I go I try to be different. I'm the 'blanker extraordinare'! LOL

I guess I was speaking more generally and should have made it clear!

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Good article guys.
I love to walk around with a float on "boilie waters." Everyone seems so concerned about getting the rods on the gravel bar or island and then putting a couple of kilos of boilies on top.
Pulling a 20 out on float and bread/worms etc from a peg next to someone with three rods out, been there blanking for two days always gives me such pleasure!
I seem to have much better results stalking with one rod than doing the normal three rods behind set of buzzers, plus lets be more mobile if I see fish moving.

W

Wolfman Woody

Thanks guys, thought provoking. I, of course, always like tp be different, but then most people ignore the skirts and make-up and just let me get on with me fishing. :eek:)

I have to try to be different than the rest, they don't catch so someone must. I just enjoy the challenge of doing something, being successful and enjoying it. Next week it will something else again. Who cares if I blank, so do the others most of the time - BUT THEY AREN'T LEARNING!!!

B

Big Rik

and that is exactly the whole point of it Jeff.

Learning.

Somebody came in the shop today and said they'd read the article this morning.
I know the group of guys and where they fish and the water is known as a stringer venue, his answer was that sometimes he uses singles, is that different enough?
My answer: but you all catch the same, about 1 carp every 2 trips.

I asked when was the last time that somebody spodded out 3 or 4 kilos of particles.
He didn't think that anybody had ever done so.

So what's to stop you from giving it a bash?

Well, I might blank!!

But you blank every other week anyway.....

He wasn't convinced.....

To quote a line from The Matrix
"I can only show you the door"

R

Robert Woods 1

Rik,
As we were in ASDA yesterday I got some prawns to try. Caught three nice chub on them today.

Bob.

B

Big Rik

Nice one Bob.

Prawns, cockles amd cheese triangles are all great stalking baits that are very neglected.

B

Big Rik

90% of carpers wouldn't even bother stalking around a lake, let alone with a packet of Dairy Lea.