The last yard.....

F

Frothey

it was once said that the only bit of tackle that really mattered was the last yard, as its the only bit near the feeding fish. so when you choose your rig are you going for one that has natural movement so it is more likely to be picked up, or one that has better hooking potential - but is less likely(?) to be picked up?
can you get a rig to do both?

i used to prefer longer, more flexible hooklengths but find myself using shorter, stiffer ones. now get mega hookholds, but less fish?

O

Ozz

Interesting one this frothey....how on earth could the 'T.H.'stiff rig be natural?
and how many fish have been caught on it?
I personally tend to go with rigs that have been proven on my given water...but have sometimes 'Dared to Be Different'

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
you can get both in one hit Frothers which will give mega hookholds and more fish. Move back away from stiffer products and concentrate wholly on your hook set-up. not taking the pi55 but if you wanna take this offline with me and rik then let me know cos we've had a likkle break through.

B

Big Rik

hah, if only it was that simple Frothey.

You know full well when me and Stu start getting "riggy with it" (as the ginger winger calls it) then it will go thru 7 stages of metamorphosis and be well and truly tested to perfection.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Strange how you get such good hookholds with stiff rigs yet theoreticaly they should be easily ejected.
Maybe they either get away with it or get nailed proper like.
could explain your lesser catch rate on them?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

ginger winger?

"then it will go thru 7 stages of metamorphosis and be well and truly tested to perfection."

To no avail.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think 7 is under estimating it mate.

funny how you started catching in lemans after some real mastery rig lessons off me and rik mr ginger winger!

you're welcome lovey

F

Frothey

"Strange how you get such good hookholds with stiff rigs yet theoreticaly they should be easily ejected"

why?

if you use a stiff material (not 10lb mono!) the fish has to back away with its gob open, hoping the hook wont catch - cos the hooklink wont "fold" like a stiff material. thats the problem though, the fish has to get it in in the first place....

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
But how many potential hookholds would you have missed. It's fine saying when they do hook themselves they hook well, but your own earlier point Dave is that you are getting less fish. What if you changed to braid and your catch rate improved?

I've got to go with Benny a little bit here.

B

Big Rik

A lot of it depends on how the fish are picking up the bait.

How the fish pick up the bait depends on how 'cute' they are and how you've attracted them into your swim (single hookbait, mass boilies, groundbait etc) aswell as the bottom you're presenting over.

There isn't a 'one rig fits all' scenario, as there are too many different variables.
You can get a 'best fit', but you may be missing out on a certain percentage of fish because you're not using the best rig for the situation.

F

Frothey

i was just saying that STIFF mono isnt easy to reject....

thats part of the point...less fish?... i dont know if i'm getting less fish.. i had 21 fish tuesday night mainly on shortish mono hooklinks. but would i have caught more with braid (got little enough sleep as it was!)

ok freak result, probably were just on a major munch after the storms but interestingly only had a couple on the braid rod (merlin to size 8 mugga). back on the same spot with mono, started catching.

BUT

i cant get my head around using short stiff links - insomuch as you are almost relying on a confidently feeding fish dropping straight onto the bait, where longer, more flexible links allow for a bit of messing around by the fish.

are you playing the percentages game...1 in 10 of the fish will pick up a stiff link but it'll be hooked, or with braid, all of the fish pick it up, but you only hook 1 in 10?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

i just cant suss out this winger thing?

is it something to do with football?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I see your point re short hooklengths and have changed back to shorter lengths myself but with braid. I spose the stiff short length does not give the fish a lot to play with as where the braid still gives the flexibility.

21 fish on a short overnighter? I'd have reeled in or taken the next day off work mate!

Thats what me and Rik are saying with this rig Dave, we believe the odds on the braid rig (where you gave an example of 1 in 10) have been reduced considerably. We have concentrated on the mechanics of the hook to do the biz and not the mechanics of the hooklength, that way the ability to let the fish pick up the bait more often (with braid) but far more hook holds.

Spoke to Rik this morning and our offer still stands mate if you want to join us in the development of this rig.

F

Frothey

did go down to 1 rod in the end...too tired to sort out the other 2! luckily was off yesterday....

i waited for you for ages last night but you stood me up you bitch!

you on during the day? i'll catch you as and when.....

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I see what your saying frothy. I suppose it all depends on the fishs cuteness and behaviour. You read so much about the way fish reject hooks by lifting the lead and dropping down which "could" push the hook out of the lip if it is just hooked before it bolts.
I believe this is what was happening to me on K1 when i had just single beeps. I decided to strike at these single bleeps and bang fish on. These fish are highly pressured.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
new venue so one on each the take was on a running i thought it was strange as running rigs in my experiance always scream off