Cancer

J

john ledger

Not trying to be morbid regarding this disease because i was diagnosed with stomach cancer 5years ago.
More than one angler has asked what the symptons where and how do you cope.
Well all i can say is if you are feeling off it for a few weeks get youself checked out,women do it fellows have to be macho just as i was for a time.
I am not brave but thought at the time i am not ready for that big river in the sky and had a positive attitude.
I lost 70% of my stomach through a malignant tumour but it could have been worse if i had not been checked out.They found mine early yet they could have found it earlier if i had gone to the doctors when i should instead of insisting on more tablets.
I told the surgeon i would be fishing in four weeks after my operation,well i did not make four but did it in six,i lost some weight and now eat little and often but dont need chemo or radio therapy.
One thing is certain they save more than they loose so if you are feeling off it get down to the quacks and sharpish.
There must be loads of people on FM who have had it far worse than me so dont think i am trying to be patronizing as i am not brave at all,pain in the backside according to my wife but brave no.
Lastly i can recommend two books
Everything you need to know to help you beat Cancer by Chris Woollams
Dr Ali Nutrition Bible
Even if you are in good health both these books are worth reading

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
power to you john!!!
my dad was diagnosed with prostrate cancer a few weeks ago.he`s on medication at the moment and he`s to have chemotherapy treatment in august i think.
its one of those tricky subjects i suppose...you just dont know how to approach someone to talk about it.i`ve tried talking to my father about it but i just dont know what to say or do.most of the information i`ve found out has either come from my brother or i`ve been talking to my shift manager at work who lost his father to the illness last year.
i just dont know what to say to my dad.

T

The Monk

glad you are all right mate, beating cancer depends largely on what type you have and where you have it though. I lost my last wife with ovarian cancer and she was a fighter, but it got her quite quickly really, apparently it was an agressive strain.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The worst thing you can do is not say anything. Talk to him about it, and let him talk to you about it.

Whatever you do, don't pretend there's nothing wrong with him.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, glad you beat it John, nothing less than what I expect from a Yorkshireman.

J

jason fisher

i used to know a lot of yorkshiremen who didn't beat it though, up untill last month i'd never met anyone who had.
it's good to hear that people do beat it though especially when it's a personal accoun't from some one who has.

M

madpiker

good to hear that you are ok now john,may you be casting a line for many years to come.
i was reading yesterday, in the daily mail,that a new camera the size of a paracetamol capsule has been developed so that doctors can check the whole of the small intestine for cancer and crohns disease etc.the patient swallows the camera and wears a small computer pack on a belt.the camera takes 100`s of pics over the time that it takes to pass through the system and the doc can look at them all in about 2 hours,checking for abnormalities.i was heartened to read of such an invention,as i suffer from crohns myself.

J

john ledger

Nick you must do what Graham has suggested and talk to your dad ,it will help for sure.
When i was diagnosed they had to sit me down and give me a drink. I drove home on auto pilot not knowing what to say to my wife who has been diabled from birth.
A few weeks ago a lump came up under my arm and the only person i told was Lee Swords by email,thats brave is it not,too scared to tell my wife.Lump has now gone
Lost two mates the same year both younger than me but both had left it too late.
On the plus side i see loads of old people in nursing homes i visit who had the disease years ago and are still living
Yesterday i called for a haircut and a beautifull looking young woman came in with her son. She told me she had cancer in three different areas and was now all clear which cheered me up as she was a stunner
God willing i hope to be giving you buggers a hard time on FM for some time to come.
Sorry to hear about your wife Monk

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Glad to hear you beat it John mate.
And had the courage to talk about it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nick, I agree with Graham. Broach the subject with him then just sit and listen. You'll know what to say then and it will be right. But listening is the best part.

J

jason fisher

God willing i hope to be giving you buggers a hard time on FM for some time to come.
hope so

P

paul williams 2

Good on yer John!
Nick,
I lost my Dad through prostrate cancer, he was a fighter and a hard man, his problem was the same as 99% of us, he worked to hard.....going to the docs for a check up is always put off, busy at work, day off so going fishing........we all do it! hope your dad responds to treatment, many do.

As Graham said talk about it!(Graham gave me the same advice privatly) it's only tricky if you let it be.....the early days with my dad were uncomfortable in as much as i didn't know what to say......sometimes though just sitting outside in the sunshine with a brew saying nothing in particular but what came to mind did us both good....god bless.

J

john ledger

Always think its the word that creates the fear but believe me they know what they are doing. Tell you what when they give me the all clear i was going to be a changed man,not say too much and keep a low profile but i went back to being what i always had been a pain in the arse radical
Nice to hear from you Jason,know you speak your mind and thats not always a bad thing

J

jason fisher

it's just personal experience from my own older relatives, cancer or heart disease has got most of the buggers in the end.
the only one to survive cancer got a superbug which ate him. your experience gives me a bit of hope that if i get it i've got a chance.

F

Fred Bonney

Well done John, for highlighting something us blokes just don't think or talk about enough.
Not experienced Cancer in my family...touch wood,but an angler friend of mine, who is the typical bloke who knows it all but did nothing about it,is dying slowly with a brain tumour,two years so far.
It turned out he'd been pumping the pills to cure his headache,for months.......
So John,glad to hear/see you've recovereed and here to talk about it.
See you on the bank one day

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I lost my father in '86 with lung cancer and I've just lost my youngest brother with bladder cancer earlier this year. Whereas Dad didn't want to talk about it at all, my brother and I spoke every day on MSN messenger or the phone and I think he found that a comfort to be able to talk freely about it.

Casual aquaintances seem unable to find words to say for fear of upsetting the sufferer which is pretty understandable really but family should be able to talk quite openly without dwelling on it overmuch.

M

madpiker

my mum was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998,luckily they caught it early and she has been clear ever since.now she tells me that my step dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer,apparently it`s the very slow growing one and as he`s 78,they reckon that he will be in his late 80`s before it needs treatment.
the mrsa superbug is a worry though.i know a bloke that had a motor cycle accident,broke his leg badly and needed an op on it,he contracted mrsa and it took over two years to heal!
i never found it difficult talking to my mum about it,although she always took the pessimistic rather than the optimistic view,i just kept bombarding her with the fact that early detection has an 80% chance of a full recovery etc and that she was diagnosed in the very early stages.
none of us knows what lies ahead of us,that`s why i have the view of,"make use of the time that you have" as life is not a rehearsal.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry Fred.

Makes you realise how lucky you are when you wake up to a new day.

M

madpiker

1951-2005,that`s far to young to pass away,sorry to hear your bad news fred.