Caldon Canal - Stoke on Trent

Kev Truman

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the rules for the Caldon are atm. I would be probably fishing just down from the bridge at birches head/abbey hulton (between that and the high school).

I just wanna know if its free of if i have to get a day ticket etc. If its free or cheap then this would be ideal for me as i only live 2 mins from it.

Also has anyone fished it lately? The last time i fished it was years and years ago and there wasnt much in it (the water was in quite a state). Ive heard there are some nice fish in it now.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Don't know the answer Kev, but give Pickerings (Burslem) a call (01782 814941). I'm sure they'll know.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
good idea m8 :D. I think i may be calling into pickerings this weekend anyhow for some line etc.

Kev Truman

Reaction score
just had an email from British Waterways who control the canal. Here it is:

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry.

From Caldon Rd Bridge 6 to Lichfield Bridge - this section is fished by Caldon Angling Club, Mr Robert Cartwright 01782 538124. From Lichfield Bridge 8 to Stockton Brook Bridge 25 our Waterway Wanderers agent John Harding can assist you. He can be contacted on 01829 732748 after 5pm.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

Customer Services

Wales & Border Counties Unit"

Just in case anyone else would like to know who to contact :D

I also found some more info at this url

http://www.waterscape.com/Caldon_Canal/angling/wid15;mine387077;maxe402724;minn346337;maxn355136

The main reason i wanted to know is.. those few maggots you have left, and the other little bits of bait you have after a day/weekend of fishing. I find it quite annoying that the left overs will spoil quite quickly. The canal is less than 5 mins walk from my front door, and i feel it would make a nice finish for my left over bait :D

Considering most of the fish in there shouldnt be too big, its somewhere i could fish alone. (I'm a novice so bigger fish are sometimes a handfull for me and it helps to have friends about to help).

I know the perfect spot too :D, just in front of an old oak tree and a great flat patch low to the waterline. I cant wait :D