Groundbaits.... n stuff!!

Andyw

Reaction score
I got some paste mix, a groundbait mix and some expander pellets today on the advice of a friend...

I'd like you views on how best to use them all... Can the pellets be used as a hook bait?

I'll be on the canal again (tomorrow), with my 12' float rod, 14,12,10 size hooks to nylons etc

Thanks in advance

Milo

Reaction score
Andy, your expander pellets in their straight-out-the-packet state will float on the surface and will not sink. But, if you follow the destructions on the back of the packet, which probably says to soak them in a tray of water, they'll take on water and sink so you can hook them, or use as feed.

I've had lots of good fun using expanding pellet, and as a little extra tip, if you find they come off the hook when you cast, get hold of a pellet pump/coffee saver and 'pump' the pellets in a jelly solution (make it stronger - using less water than the packet says) instead of plain water. The jelly will set when the pellets cool, and should stay on. You can also add flavours to the water if you wish.

I'd strongly recommend reading 'Improve Your Coarse Fishing', as it has plenty of how-to information every month.

Best of luck tomorrow mate!

Milo

Reaction score
By the way, this months IYCF comes with a free John Wilson DVD, so even if you decide you don't like the mag, you've got a disc to watch :)

Andyw

Reaction score
Thanks Milo... I'm already an avid reader of IYCF and loved the JW dvd... going to go off to the Great Ouse where he was in the river "Barbelling!!" very soon i hope!!

thanks for your time

Andyw

Reaction score
If i leave the expander pellets overnight will that help them sink?? or do i stick to the instructions...

I'm taking bread, luncheon meat, paste and the pellets...

so advice on the best way to use them all would be appreciated :)

Milo

Reaction score
Hello again Andy! I wouldn't leave them soaking overnight as they'll turn to mush. You can follow the instructions and then put them in a sandwich bag and into the fridge to use within the next couple of days. They will eventually grow mould though so don't forget...

Andyw

Reaction score
I was wondering how best to setup my line for the canal i fish... I cannot eliminate drift when fishing with a waggler in the far margins...

I fish on the bottom.... Sometimes dot the shot, sometimes bulk it.. With the tell tale shot between 3" to 12" fromt the hook... Seem to have a hard time sinking the line, even when i have degreased with with a tad of washing up liquid...

I'm using either expander pellets, meat, bread sometimes corn...

Thanks