Pilgrim’s Progress

P

Paul Williams

Nice Tench Sedge, i hate rats too, there are waters up and down the country where they are becoming a real problem...and they are clever too!! they wait untill you are playing that special fish and then invade your bivvy!!
The litter cretins amongst us are the ones to blame....popular day ticket waters like the water you were fishing attract these cretins.....who are followed by the rats!!....when will they learn?

S

Stewart Bloor

Thanks Paul. You're right about the rats, I only left the bivvy to play a fish and they were in there.

But wait till next week's PP, the rats actually drove me home a day earlier....

And you're right about the litter louts. Except most of them go home when the sun sets, leaving people like us there to face the rats alone...aaahhhhh...

G

Gary Knowles

Sedge,

Exaxtly the same thing happend to me at Melton. The rats chewed a big hole in the bottom of my bivvy and nicked my trout pellets.

At least I think it was the Rats - it could have been big Rik nicking my Active 8's !

S

Stewart Bloor

I remember it well Gary....It could have been Rik. Well after all, it had been about 3 hours since his last meal of 50 ounce steak, bowl of chips, tin of peas and boiler of tea, so he was still probably hungry...

Just remembered - when I woke you up at 4.00am...hahahaha...all equal now....

A

Andy Thatcher

And I thought you went early just to avoid making me a coffee !

P

paul clarke

never had any trouble with rats but then i don't use a bivvy or fish at night. however , last week i had a 30 second staring competition with a stoat/weasel/ferret , (don't know which one of these it was....)after it had popped out of the foliage approx 10 feet from my head . it scared the living be'jesus out of me , with its evil pointed face and dark beady eyes.....

P

paul clarke

meant to add that it was down on the river lea at fishers green and wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what one of the above it could have been.......and i'm still trying to catch my 1st barbel.......but i will succeed ....

C

Carp Angler

You sure it wasn't a mink?

They are scarey and very fierce.

I fish around Ringwood alot, where the tree huggers released thousands a couple of years ago from a farm.
(and thousands a few years before that)

N

Neil Wayte

It's not fair I'm off on holiday next week so I'll have to wait and see if you catch one Mr Bloor.
On the subject of rats I once sat and watched one drag a string of sausages out of the next bivy and along the bank.
Mind you I also had a dream whilst fishing the same lake that I had a rat on my shoulder as I slept.I opened my eyes and there it was sitting on my shoulder looking straight at my.We both went through the roof of the bivy and I had to go home to change if you know what I mean.

N

Neil Wayte

I never got on with the Road Rats either buts thats not a fishing story.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My mate Dave Colclough was forced off the Dane last week by half a dozen mink that ignored stones and attempts to whack them with a rod-rest. They got into his rucker, robbed his bait and sandwiches and ignored all his attempts to scare them off. And I can tell you that if anyone tries to rob Dave's grub they've got to be very brave indeed!

But seriously, he had to pack up and go home, they were getting more bold by the minute and may have started taking chunks out of him as well as his sarnies.

J

john conway

That’s it lads I’m going to have to take my Jack Russel night fishing. For the first time I also saw two Mink on my last night trip, but I thought have were OK, they ran off when I shone my head torch on them. Perhaps the rats and mink down south are a bit more aggressive than the ones up north?

P

Paul Williams

John,
I have no doubt whatsoever that a mink that is enough generations up from it's farm tamed parents would make mince meat of a jack!!....and i've got two mate!...usually they pass on by getting on with what they are doing but i wouldn't fancy tackling a hungry one!!

M

Michael Hall

I know what you mean as one had a go at my pole and has damaged one of the joints and then it run across my legs from one reed to anothe, they are becoming a real problam on all waters across the UK and are starting to over run the place (AND THEY ARE HORRIABLE HOW CAN PEOPLE HAVE THEM AS PETS???)

D

Dave Johnson

Agree with Paul, watch your dogs when mink are around.
they really are viscious animals and not put off by much at all-bar being run over.

C

Carp Angler

I've seen them take out canadas, swans and once even a golden retriever.

P

Paul Williams

Make rats sound like nice little fluffy things don't they???.....as far as i am aware the group of animals mink belong to are all natural born killers from the tiny Weasel to the Tasmainian devil.....apt name and given to it for a reason!!

G

Gary Knowles

I'm actually considering buying a small repeating pistol to deter rats / mink when I'm night fishing, For obvious reasons I would want a powerfull but quiet one - any reccomendations out there

Also, I wonder how fishery owners would react though..........any thoughts anyone ?

C

Chris Bishop

Rats. They reckon whereever you are in the world you're never more than a six feet away from one, don't they..?

Guns are bad news Gary. Do we really want your average day ticket water to look like Moss Side..?

Boarded up bivvies, drive-by shootings, kids riding round on mountain bikes wearing balaclavas, everyone talking like Ali-G..?

"An today we is goin' fo' fish. You can't smoke 'em but dey is quite good fun in dere own sorta way.
"Me an de Staines Massive recoomend you takes a pair of dese fishing rods an' a Browning nine-milimetre. Boyakasha!"

Litter's the root of the problem. Waters where they have bins of the rusting old oil drum that gets emptied twice a season are even worse than those with stuff chucked all over the bank.

P

Paul Williams

I sometimes think litterbins do more harm than good...a black bin liner can take your rubbish and then get taken home.
I know you are right really about guns Chris but there is a really neat little gas canister operated pistol on the market complete with scopes.....and i don't like rats in my bivvy, mind you if Gary had one the night Sedge burst into his bivvy poor old Sedge may not be with us now.......Gary, you wanna buy a Heckler and Koch ???