Food lovely food

davestocker

Reaction score
Malaysian Prawn Curry

This is not mine. It?s from a Wheelers cook book. If you don't cook get your missus to do so. This is spicy and flavoursome! The secret is lots of coriander. It doesn?t work quite as well with chicken.

Serves 2 people with decent appetites

1 X 4-500gm bag frozen cooked prawns (big, small, warm or cold water)

Salt

? level teaspoon Monosodium glutamate (MSG) for ?umami? effect

1 onion

1-2 fresh red chillies (not the tiny red hot ones) de-seeded, and chopped
Split down middle, then cut crossways (say 1/8 inch wide pieces)

2 level teaspoons Turmeric/Haldi powder (its the same stuff)

? block of creamed coconut

? BIG bunch of coriander leaves (the size you get from Asian shops, not the nancy-boy portions you get bagged up in the supermarkets)

1 lime

Thaw out the prawns, but leave the glaze water in the bag with them

Grate or finely shave ? the block of creamed coconut

Finely chop the onion and sweat over a medium heat in a largish frying pan in a neutral oil (sunflower, groundnut) until just turning gold

Add a bit of salt to bring out flavours, and the mono to enhance the flavour

Then fry the chopped red chilli with the onion over medium heat for a minute or so.

Chop up the coriander as finely as you like add to the pan, stir in and fry for another couple of minutes

Chuck in the turmeric, and fry what should now be a dry mixture for another minute or so

Remove pan from heat, throw in the grated/chopped coconut cream and pour in the glaze water from the prawns. Stir everything together and return to heat & bring to boil
You may wish to add a little more water to get a thinner, less sticky sauce, but remember the prawns will impart some moisture.

When the sauce is hot, throw in the cooked prawns and heat until they?ve warmed through.

Taste and add more salt.

Serve with white rice, squeeze ? lime over the curry when on your plate.

Enjoy!

M

madpiker

sounds good,apart from the coconut!the taste of it makes me retch, has done ever since i was a boy.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

sounds good except for the chilli and spices ..........

F

Fred Bonney

Dave,I've taken a copy and will try it out.
I've got a great pasta sauce ,but with this lot on here it will be a waste,no taste.

TARTS & PHILISTINES!
:eek:)

J

jason fisher

i do like a nice tart but the seeds out the philistines get stuck in my teeth.

davestocker

Reaction score
Umami is a taste sense, like bitter, sweet, sour etc. and has been particularly important in far eastern cookery. It is created by the presence of glutamic acid that occurs naturally in certain foods. Monosodium Glutamate has had a bad press, which is totally at odds with the truth about it; it's safe, does not giive you headaches and is naturally occuring.

Parmesan cheese and tomatoes are rich in the stuff. Its what makes Soy and Worcester Sauce the stuff they are, adding richness and 'meatiness' to what they might be added to.

Go to http://www.msg.org.au/index.html

H

Herr General Swordsy

Thats the modern scientific version Dave (correct also) Ummami is the Japanese word for deliciousness and is the word they use to describe the effect given by the glutamic acids before they knew what they were, its another sense so to speak.

thats the key to all cooking, having layers of flavours that interact with each other.

I cannot fathom people out who "fear flavour" we have to eat everyday so why not have variety instead of chips with chips with chips and don't put none of that rabbit food on it!

In thiry years time the youngsters of today who eat shit day in day out will be crying down the oncology and cardio units when they get the grim prognosis that they're buggered from eating rubbish!

Fast food for the most part will kill you

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Absolutely!

My favourite things are Food, fishing and sleeping, sleeping is vastly underated as a pastime and looked upon as a neccesity rather than something to be enjoyed.

I don't understand people who'd rather eat a McDonalds rather than a good home cooked bit of lamb or some pasta or paella or, oh I'm hungry now.....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sleeping is simply temporary death, apart from those few moments when you go to sleep and those few moments when you wake up.

Sleep is a necessity and I'd gladly do without the five to six hours a night I have to have.

Life is for living and I don't want death either permanently or temporarily.

E

I hate curry .....it was invented to 'mask' the taste of rotten meat/chicken ....

E

but I dont want to make it myself because I dont like the taste of curry .....(except maybe a korma)

E

Its chillie I dont like --I just dont think it has any taste except a hot burning sensation