homemade paste

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I make all sorts of pastes cheese, luncheon meat, pellet etc. but the one thing I havn't had much success with is colouring them.

Its simple when using a boilie type mix and theres a liquid to add the colouring to but its not proved as successful with the likes of cheesepaste because that is mixed dry. Anybody got any tips, and does any particular colouring (brand, whatever)work better than others?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

why not try cochineal--from the supermarket

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Do you mix cheese with uncooked pastry mix?
I tried this and the consistancy was brilliant and you can knead the colour in quite evenly.
Takes a while and I'd recommend gloves to avoid the dreaded 'pink/green/red hand syndrome'.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Graham, if you're a regular at your local chinese take-away, pop in and ask if they'll sell you a bit of red and yellow powder that they use in cooking, fantastic stuff, this will dye anything, but use VERY sparingly,

"Pink/green/red hand syndrome"

If you wash your hands with a biological washpowder, this usually get's rid of the staining.

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Why not mix your paste as normal and put it in freezer bag coated on the inside with the colour you desire give it a good shake around freeze it then when it thaws out prior to use the colour gets sucked in. Result little or no mess and one happy missus - you can go fishing dear as you've not made any mess this time.... Serendipity.

W

Wolfman Woody

" pink/green/red "

Ding-ding idea! Anyone got a way of making neopolitan cheese paste with stripes in it?

I'll fetch me coat.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I wouldn't bother trying to colour them. It's the smell that the fish home in on but if you really need some colour then cochineal for pink/red paste.
For a really strong smelling cheespaste use ripe Danish Blue. Chub will smell it a mile away but on the other hand so will everyone else.
A paste I've often used for roach is just plain bread and custard powder. Pale yellow in colour and smells of vanilla and they seem to love it especially in summer.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Woody, don't forget your hat. Rain is forecast for tonight. :O

D

Deecy

Indian or Chinese spuermarkets stock 500 gram pots of most colours,dirt cheap.