Mr Angry!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
"Remember the dinner plate? Discard speck of dust, replace with a banana"

love it, love it, love it and in case you're not sure what I thought of your feature sir, "I love it"

awaiting Wednesday's edition!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Blinkin' 'eck Bob. I have to agree with almost all of that, although shorter would have been better for me, if only to save some printer ink and paper!

Paul's post on the BS website about sleeping with the rods out issue had me wound up a little at the time. I'm often on the rods after a single bleep and I get fed up with people who say I'm doing something wrong. If I ever harmed a fish because I was asleep I wouldn't do it.

Most of all I get really fed up with people who them jump in on these threads (said thread included), almost comparing sleeping fisherman to hitler, when their fishing is often different and they have no concept of what other people's fishing is like.

It's the same when people have a go for using alarms, heavy leads, two rids, shelters, boilies, carp rods etc.

As long as people know where the volume control is, can be on the rods very quickly and don't harm the fish then I don't have a problem.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Printed it out as Bob suggested and am going for a dump now.

will post later ;o)

W

Wolfman Woody

Boy oh boy. 6,667 words - never let it be said that Bob's succinct or concise in expressing his opinions. I found "War and Peace" far easier to read compared to this.

However, glad (whoopee type) to see that there is another supporter out there for a more appropriate "close season" (leave it Graham, it is "close"). I take it from other ramblings that Bob's not the most ardent supporter of BS policy, CS or otherwise. Most of my more amourous dreams I've had whilst barbel fishing, there must be a connection somewhere.

Tell me though, has the Stillwater Barbel Society idea been officially dropped now? I knew your heart was never in it, not sure I agree with you entirely, but have you ever found two anglers that agreed on absolutely EVERYTHING! Nah, can't happen, but perhaps we can all agree on your opinion of Matt Black.

Oh well, episode 2 comin eh? Unless the illness takes a more terminal turn and spare us all. Suppose I'd better get the tanto out ready, somehow sepuku will seem like a welcome release.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
No wonder you were feeling rough with all that anger bottled up inside you. You really ought to take up fishing Bob, it will help you relax and see the world as a better place.

Seriously, I hope you get well quick matey.

Do I agree. Hmmm, certainly about the close season but I'll have to read it again to take it all in and not on the loo, blimey I'd have cramp if I sat there that long.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Oh, part two is written.

Not a lot else to do when you're in a hospital bed and I can assure you a few toes will curl when they read it.

Did anyone spot the unfortunate typo - I unfortunately wrote bream (don't enter refuges) when I meant barbel. Ooops!!!

Perhaps Graham will sort it out.

Sorted! As a well known AT columnist would say. - Graham

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Wow Bob, a hell of a lot of home truths.

And do you know I agree with 99% of it.

And yes it's time we re-appraised the closed season on rivers. The comment by that certain very well known angler about June chub being at their heaviest, makes me think that numbers and weights, are the god that rules many angler's lives today.

Thank goodness I can go down to the fens for a week, catch a load of WILD tench and bream under 5lbs and still enjoy every minute of it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just so's you don't think I'm a rotten nasty old grouch, I only wish you well, Bob.

Really well then you can get out fishing rather than write part 2.

F

Fred Bonney

Well I thought, I'll print it off and read it at leisure, but the Magicalia system told me there was an error.
So,ignoring the wife, a mug of tea getting cold and the call of nature,I read it off the screen.
Bob,brilliant stuff,totally agree with everything you've written.....so far.
Looking forward to wednesday.
Get well soon.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Can this be the quietly spoken Bob Roberts I've known for so many years? Heck, Bob, I could hear your raised voice as I read your words from the screen!

I agree with pretty well everything you wrote. My reaction is slightly different to your's, though - I despair rather than get angry.

Looking forward to Part Two. Meanwhile, my very best wishes, Bob, for a full recovery.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Interesting stuff Bob, will you be e-mailing a copy to K.A or just hope he reads it on here?? Some very good points and a show of large balls to take on the "powers!"

Looking forward to part two.

Get well soon mate

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
I left the Barbel society about a year after it had formed because i could see the way it was going.....yes even then. I decided not to fight from within the group as i have found from experience(age) that however cogent your argument you will never change the mind of a zealot. Life is just too short to go tilting at windmills or in this case windbags!

As for Keith Arthur i'm sure he does not believe all the guff he comes up with but let's face it controversy does sell and that is what he is doing....selling himself.

I can understand your anger Bob at all the jumped t**ds who tell us what to do, say and think and the desire to fight fire with fire but over the years i've learnt to control my anger and just go fishing the way i want to. But if one of these gits dares to disturb my fishing they will only do it the once!

T

Terry Davison 2

As we've all heard before, you can please some of the people some of the time etc, but please lets hope we don't see a spate of the blind leading the blind as in the case of those that have the "power" to influence those under their jusidiction and the 'easily influenced' amongst us. It's articles like this which should bring them back down off their cloud!
Can't wait to hear some more common sense Bob. There's a lot of it missing nowadays and those concerned should take a long hard look at what you've just written - maybe it'll catch on. Somehow I doubt it as controversy sells. All the best, Terry D.

C

Chub King

I hope you get well soon Bob and can get back on the bank to indulge that fairly crazy pasttime that we all love.
The EA maintains that the closed season 'protects most species most of the time'. The rest is down to the discretion of anglers. Well thank God for that!
The stillwater issue is well and truly in the pipeline and I'll do it properly. Barbel don't do well in stillwaters where there's a predominance of carp. Can anyone tell me what other species does do well where there's a preponderance of carp? Carp stockings have ruined innumerable tench waters in the past and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.
A club water I fish was stocked with 3,000 fingerling carp a couple of seasons ago. The tench fishing has already gone wonky despite no small carp hitting the bank. The water has started to cloud, then the weed will go and the tench will stunt.
The EA will release their stillwater barbel findings soon and there's an expert at Hull Uni I'm hoping to consult.
Bottom line is, the EA sanctioned their stocking and the commercials took advantage. Can't say I blame them. Why the EA changed its policy I have no idea. They obviously denied SP's accusation that they did it to shift excess Calverton stock. But they didn't give a great reason. Said it was so they could undertake study into how the species would do in the different environment. You can't study it without putting some fish in lakes first though can you?
As for the piece published on the study into stillwater barbel (mentioned on the other thread), I'd say it's too light on evidence. Still reckon low-stocked pits would be okay for the species but I'm not a scientist, just a hack.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Brilliant !!!!!!

What a rant, can't wait for part two !

Hope you get better Bob, and keep taking the prozac !!

M

Mark Hodson

Superb, agree with it all, can't wait for part 2, don't do a part 3 though, you'll need therapy after the third.

J

john conway

Good article Bob, your comment : -

"What I suggest you don?t do is come and tell me that I?ve got to change how I fish because you have issues with someone else."

rings very ture and covers quite a few areas of angling.
Look forward to part 2.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bob, your comment : -
"What I suggest you don?t do is come and tell me that I?ve got to change how I fish because you have issues with someone else."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry, but isn't this what you are doing, by telling us it is okay to sleep while night fishing?
You even said it yourself, that some bozo on the opposite bank couldn't wake up. And there are plenty more of that kind jumping on the barbel band wagon.

There are plenty of people who disagree with the sleeping while barbelling issue, just how many there are who will come outright and say it, is another matter.
Never the less, it is a good read and I do agree with your other points.

P.S.
Anglers camped out on Collingham Wier. Do you think they will still be there this weekend (o

Get well soon and have a speedy recovery.