Live Aid

J

john ledger

Did not see it all and to be honest did not want to.Caught Pink Floyd and to be honest they where like a group of pensioners past their sell by date,dull and like watching paint dry on a foggy damp day.
Alright we know its for a good cause but some performers are on an ego trip. Sting Macca Annie Lennox should have stayed in bed.
Only groups i would have wanted to see would have been Velvet Revolver,
Killers,ScissorSisters etc the rest are past their sell by date and some even make Keith Richard look young.
Lets hope this is the last

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Sir Bob said "it would be the greatest show on earth! Better than the first!"

I thought it was boring, with no atmosphere. The first live aid should have been the last! It was brilliant.

Clikfire

Reaction score
was that this weekend, dam I missed it ;-)

funny I missed the other one as well, may be I will catch it next time round if he gets a hair cut.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
John, it's funny, but great to think you might like The Killers and Scissor Sisters!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
didnt watch any of it....avoided it all day.from what i`ve heard,it was a load of old pish anyway.
in an ideal world there would be no poverty,no evil despots,no diseases etc....i`m afraid we all know the reality.
until the politicians get off their fat arses and act then geldof and co will be singing away for many years to come.

S

sash

I thought it was great to see Pink Floyd back on stage and really enjoyed the few minutes they had. It's a shame but the vast majority of the audience didn't seem to appreciate them, in fact it was only Robbie Williams that seemed to get the entire crowd going.

ByNasty

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of pink floyd but I thought they were ace. It was a very good atmosphere watching the screens at Hyde park while they played. Velvet Revolver were brilliant but it was a bit lost on the crowd unfortunately ("fall to pieces" stood out but no one else knew it). Other than that I thought it was a decent day for a good cause with some rubbish acts (mariah carey, miss dynamite) mixing with some class (stereophonics, razorlight,snow patrol) I also thought keane (not a band I normally like)were very good. The singer Tom has a fantastic voice. I know the whole issue is far more complicated than they make it out to be but the ball has to start rolling somewhere and I've got too much of my life left to start being cynical now.

L

Les Clark

I thought most of it was bloody good apart from one or two crap acts .
What do you lot want ,the usual load of crap on a saturday nights telly ?

J

john ledger

Velvet Revolver have the Stone Temple Pilot Scot Weilands as singer and he is brilliant.In fact i bet they where wondering what they done wrong getting tied up with that lot. Half expected Elton John to get married on stage,what next Chas and Dave or another Status Quo farewell tour. Bring back Vera Lynn

S

sash

Velvet Revolver were good, as were Razorlight, Stereophonics were excellent. Missed Snow Patrol and Keane though, who I'd like to have seen. A load of it was crap though but then I guess they tried to cater for a variety of tastes.

J

john ledger

I would have paid ?50 just to keep Geldofs big mouth shut.No wonder all the kids are effing and blinding all the time.He is supposed to set an example not swear in front of a live TV audience as he has done before.Dont like the man and im giving him sod all.Only goes to the likes of Mugabe
Could have been worse,could have had the Spice Girls

S

Steve King

Pink Floyd were great - never thought I'd see Roger Waters sharing a stage with the rest of the band again!

Robbie Williams got the crowd going for sure, full marks to him, but not really my cup of tea.

The Who though I thought were brill!! I had imagined that they would be crap, but their drummer was ace and the addition of a rhythm guitarist and keyboards was an excellent move.

Despite the sad demise of Moony and the Ox, The Who rock!!!

S

sash

Best bit though has got to be when Phil Kaye told the Who roadie testing a microphone to "shut up ****head" as he was singing Amarillo at the time. Even funnier when he was given some back chat!

Paul Mallinson 2

Reaction score
Sash, I think that was Peter Kay.

Velvet revolver were good but the sound wasnt, no-where near as good as when I saw them in Hammermith Apollo last year, they were truly awesome.

Afetr that it was the Who and Pink floyd were awesome, I love em and never thought I would see Waters Gilmore Mason and Wright on the same stage in my life, hoping like hell it sparks a tour.

ByNasty

Reaction score
Agree about Doherty. The Libertines were an excellent band and Babyshambles showed a lot of promise until Pete turned into an attention seeking smack-head and started p**sing his talent against the wall. It's only a matter of time until he's found dead with a needle in his arm. It saddens me to see people waste their talent by becoming addicts.

H

Herr General Swordsy

We should start a dead pool, Pete would be on my list everytime, what a cock jockey!

B

Bully

So what does everyone think about the politics behind it all?

The little I watched all I saw were pictures of Bush and other G8 leaders, who were roundly booed.

What about all the dictators in Africa, no one held them to account?

Put a big concert on and people will turn up, however I know a few people who went and they just did it for a day out.

Frankly I think Geldof is way off mark on this one, and cancelling the debt without drastic change is unacceptable.

S

sash

Course it was! Getting my Kayes/Kays mixed up!!

Fully agree Stu, without drastic change in the governing bodies within Africa especially and without a long-term change in the attitude of its inhabitants, nothing will change.