Bennetts of Sheffield

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Any of you Sheffield lads know if this is true ???

Heard they've gone into Liquidation today ,things are getting bad, they were on the go when I were nought burra lad!!!. :(:(:eek:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Well the websites down, which doesnt look good. But it could just be the servers gone kerput.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Websites down and only a message on the phones to say 'business is closed'

As Merv says, a sad day, and I am one of those who has dealt with them 'man and boy' for many, many years.

noknot

Reaction score
Websites down and only a message on the phones to say 'business is closed'

As Merv says, a sad day, and I am one of those who has dealt with them 'man and boy' for many, many years.
A sad day indeed! Their name has been around longer than I can remember!:(

Windy

Reaction score
Nooooo.... bought my first decent rods off them forty odd years ago, 2s/6d a week for ten months !!! And my first fly fishing outfit... damn damn damn damn damn. Hope they refinance and get back in business somehow, bluddy hell.....

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
They were flooded out in 2007 and since re-opening the shop has been less of a place to browse than before.

There are rods on display and chairs and bivies, also rucksacks but for the bits and pieces such as line, hooks, ect are all behind the shop counter and you have to ask to see them.

Climax Tackle have such small items on display and you can compare such items - this is something I prefer

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
They have certainly been around for a long time but I found them difficult to deal with.

They simply refused to send items overseas and not those bought on 'terms, but for the full sale price, paid in advance.

That was in the early 90's and with that sort of approach I am not surprised that they are possibly going out of business.

Still sad though.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
they were on the go when I were nought burra lad!!!.
Wasn't it you who introduced Moses to the shop to get his fishing kit for the Red Sea?
(Thought I'd get you back one day Harrison for that unkind remark about my avatar! :D :p)

Yes, shame if it is true, Bennetts were the company that started all the mail order trade. Purchase a fair bit of stuff myself from them over the years. Used to be a deposit and 5 equal cheque amounts to pay it on the drip - damned good idea way back then!

Just shows how times have changed.

EDIT - just checked and as Kevin says, message on phone says "Business is now closed ...... enquires to our liquidators... etc..."

Suppose that means it terminal unless they can find a buyer for the business, but in this climate.....? Doubt if they'll be the last as well.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
bennetts was the dealer i had to use through my insurance when some low life nicked my tackle,the missus also used to get my xmas stuff from them mail order,if they are finishing it realy is a shame,what chance have smaller tackle shops got,support them while they are there or they may not be there when you need them.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score

EDIT - just checked and as Kevin says, message on phone says "Business is now closed ...... enquires to our liquidators... etc..."

Tis a sad day, but as you say, probably not the last.

"Wasn't it you who introduced Moses to the shop to get his fishing kit for the Red Sea?"

Nothing wrong with your memory then, I remember being stood behind you in the shop !!!. :)

flightliner

Reaction score
Good angler Harold Bennett, If i'm not mistaken he fished for the old Sheffield Amalgamated (or was it the Associated?) team back in 55/6 when his team mate Jack Carr went down in match angling history when he won the old All England Championship on the Somerset levels(king sedgemoor drain) with a record breaking bag of bream in the region of 55/6 lbs.He was a railwayman,.His first shop was I believe on station road in Darnell-- when I was nipper I used to stand and look in his window at all the fishing tackle on display - usually on a saterday or sunday afternoon/evening, sometimes it co-incided with the arrival of the "Anglers Special" returning from lincolnshire and the Witham which would be full of hundreds of anglers and thier gear rushing to the pub afore they went back home and another week of toil in the pits and steelworks/ "He riseth early in the morning and sets forth with great hope, and , when the day is far spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not within him!"- amen.
Later he opened at the bottom of main road darnell and again opposite the Sheffield Hallem uni before finally opening his biggest shop in stanley street in the wicker.
If any of the above is incorrect-- apologies. If the rumour is true then its a sad sad day for angling and anglers.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
And there I think was the problem. When he was flooded out he should have gone to a shiney new unit with free, secure(ish) parking not keep his shop in an area akin to beirut circa 1985. He HAD to have staff just sat next to the door to keep out riff raff or keep the door shut (well he did a while ago). Thats no way to run a business, not with the web, not with billy clark, calcotts and climax all a stones throw away. Still a shame though.

dezza

Reaction score
I knew Bennetts well from 1958. I often called in the West Bar shop and got to know Peter Bennett, Harold Bennett and Jack Carr.

Jack Carr was a member of the Sheffield Amalgamated team that won the All England in the 50s on the Huntspill. He was the individual champion with the record weight of 60 odd pounds - I forget exact details. He helped me a great deal with my own fishing. Jack was a master at catching Witham bream. He was also a very good fly fisher. I fished with him occasionally at Ladybower.

Bennetts were the first organisation to offer tackle on hire purchase. They also were the first to run a National Angling Exhibition. The first one was in London, followed by several more in Sheffield. I used to run the Angling Telegraph booth.

I have some marvellous memories of fishing in Ireland with the Bennetts crowd, which also included Bennie Ashurst.

Those were the days

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Good angler Harold Bennett, If i'm not mistaken he fished for the old Sheffield Amalgamated (or was it the Associated?) team back in 55/6 when his team mate Jack Carr went down in match angling history when he won the old All England Championship on the Somerset levels(king sedgemoor drain) with a record breaking bag of bream in the region of 55/6 lbs.He was a railwayman,.His first shop was I believe on station road in Darnell-- when I was nipper I used to stand and look in his window at all the fishing tackle on display - usually on a saterday or sunday afternoon/evening, sometimes it co-incided with the arrival of the "Anglers Special" returning from lincolnshire and the Witham which would be full of hundreds of anglers and thier gear rushing to the pub afore they went back home and another week of toil in the pits and steelworks/ "He riseth early in the morning and sets forth with great hope, and , when the day is far spent, he returneth smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not within him!"- amen.
Later he opened at the bottom of main road darnell and again opposite the Sheffield Hallem uni before finally opening his biggest shop in stanley street in the wicker.
If any of the above is incorrect-- apologies. If the rumour is true then its a sad sad day for angling and anglers.

Jack Carr had 68-2-4 in 1955

flightliner

Reaction score
Jack Carr had 68-2-4 in 1955
God mark-- you either live in an angling library or your real name is Leslie walsh --the memory man! Remind me where and when D burr broke Jacks old record--also when where and who won the last "all england" (after that it all seemed to go a bit "micky mouse")
Ron- I fished for the old Amalgamated team in the eastern counties winter league back in the mid sixties.Great crowd, and even greater anglers. Happy happy days.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
God mark-- you either live in an angling library or your real name is Leslie walsh --the memory man! Remind me where and when D burr broke Jacks old record--also when where and who won the last "all england" (after that it all seemed to go a bit "micky mouse")

Yes, I live in an angling library. I don't actually know exactly what I've got but close to complete runs of Angling, Fishing, Creel and Fisherman plus loads of old AM, AT, many other mags and books. Currently researching a roach book with papers and references everywhere.

Answer to your question is.
D Burr, 1965, Huntspill, 76-9-0

Last 'proper' All England - 1971, Severn, Leicester AS, Robin Harris.

I only fished one Div 1 National though did a few lower divisions previously but it was the highlight of my match career to fish the 1990 event on the Witham with 89 teams and many top anglers and teams. All really gone downhill since then.

will spencer

Reaction score
can't say i'm sorry to see bennettsin administration.they always wanted full whack for anything they sold.you could get everything much cheaper elsewhere,i remember when maver first released the reactorlite rods with anrrp of £199.99.bennetts wanted £199.99.i looked around and got it for £125.
greed will kill many businesses