Where are you and where do you fish?

B

Big Rik

So come on guys, especially the newer people on here, tell us about your local or regular waters.

What's the average size, how many fish/runs do you expect in a session, that kind of stuff, so we can all get a better feel for the challenges we all face.

S

sash

Guess I'm not so new but I'll gladly kick things off:

My local waters are a mix of gravel pits and Fenland rivers/drains.

The rivers range from the easy, with high stocks of hard fighting doubles and low to mid 20's, to the impossibly difficult with a handful of fish in a dozen or more miles of river/drain, but these can (and do) produce something special.

The pits that I fish are all low to medium stock waters with the most heavily stocked having in the region of 200 fish in 15 or so acres. The majority of them contain far smaller stocks than this though and the average is probably nearer 1 fish per acre or so. There are some so called "runs" waters in the region but none that I regularly fish. Fish go to mid/high 30's with a faint possibility of a 40 within the next few years and most of them offer an outside chance of a 30 with some excellent stocks of 20's.

On some, a run a night/day is considered amazing, on others 2 or 3 fish in a 24 hour session is the average but I rarely fish a water where I can expect half a dozen + fish a session.

T

Terry Comerford

West Midlands, Himley Hall day ticket, grassies to 26lb, commons and mirrors, to 30lb.

Two canals, with commons and mirrors to 32lb.

One reservoir with commons and mirrors, to 35lb.

One day ticket lake with a 28lb ghost, my dream fish!

Too busy with work to fish more than once a month at the mo, roll on October!

One fish a session and I'm over the moon!

W

Wolfman Woody

Today, I were mostly fishing Colnbrook, where you came Rik. And strangely enough, the same swim as before, but only cos my mate decided first to fish from the swim you were in and had rigged up his bivvy there.

He had a 14lber just minutes after casting in, but I equalled your highly impressive catch, Rik. Yup, I too banked. :( Had two on Sunday though from the opposite bank. Just a 17 and a 16.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Well I am from the Redditch area and my carp fishing have being mostly around the Midlands like Arrow Valley Lake, Tardebigge Reservoir, Kingsbury Water Park and few various places where carp run big.

Just recently join an couple of local fishing club wherethey got 1 water in the home town and 1 off the beacon track.

Still waiting for the first Twenty and I have come close a few times

S

sash

How about you Rik? Do you still hunt forgotten carp in vast waters? I still remember your story about the big common from a forgotten lake and still sense the excitment it created.

B

Big Rik

I'm currently fishing a couple of club waters, wher 30's are quite rare and one fish a night/day is a result.

The forgotten lake is still there, not quite as quiet as it was and maybe a revisit in a year or two will be on the cards.

ANother vast water has been scoped and myself and Wol will be visiting it for the first time next Sunday.
Large, weedy, hardly fished, but with a certain pedigree that will get most people salivating.
Unfortunately it's a 230 mile round trip, so I wont be on there every week, but hopefully, something large, scaley and mysterious will be gracing my mat.

S

sash

I must admit, there is nothing in my carp fishing that creates such a sense of achievement than catching a carp from a big expanse of water, especially if there are very few carp in it.

I do love the small intimate waters, the 2 and 3 acre, overgrown places but the big places keep pulling me back.

I sometimes wish I had a couple of "runs" waters near me to learn/practise on so I guess that most of my experimentation is carried out on hardish waters which makes catching one even more special.

S

sash

Good luck on the new water by the way, mileage like that and it would be a deserved capture.

B

Big Rik

yeah, I was chatting with Stu earlier about this. there are no mid doubles/low 20's 'runs' waters around here.
At least one would be fun for the occasional soiree.

Big waters are great aren't they.
They kill you with the time and dedication involved, but the achievement is fantastic.

S

sash

I don't mind mid doubles/low 20's waters at all, in fact they probably represent the majority of the fishing I do, especially on short sessions or quick overnighters but it would be nice to have a water where you'd be guaranteed a dozen fish if you fished it right.

I tend to reserve the bigger fish/lower stock waters to the occasions I can fit in a two day trip, it leaves far more time to locate fish / move swims if required. I could use the evenings for such location but then I'd rather go fishing!

I've tried experimenting on the rivers but they seem to offer such different conditions that you don't learn a great deal that can be transferred to the pit fishing e.g. flow, location, bream!!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"They kill you with the time and dedication involved, but the achievement is fantastic"

nice

njb51

Reaction score
I have miles of the river mole i can fish, some of it day ticket, some of it club but i havent really fished it that much due to the whether conditions and it being more like a still water than a river! Although this should be getting better now that we've had some downpours!

I also live very close to the Thames so that gets fished a bit near hampton court and other stretches close by.

There is another day ticket close by which is a small still water and holds carp to around 25lb apparently and also holds a 23lb Ghostie which i will be targeting soon!

Old Bury Hill is not too far away either and offers a bit of fun when i can afford it! The main lake is a bit more difficult than the others, especially bonds lake where you can expect to catch about 20 to 30 3-12lb carp in one day session!!

Furnace Lakes is also a bit of fun too for over night sessions! Had my personal best from there, 24lb 6oz Common!

Jonny

B

Bully

Jonny - I live in Kent and have been interested to know what the Mole offers. Are there any barbel stretches, and what clubs ??

Thanks.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Shepperton west lake (formaly RMC Penny Lane)
Day Ticket and club water ive been fishing there since before Xmas not one fish yet well loads of bream. the lake is around 40 acres at a guess. About 40% is fishable it is also indirectly joined to the thames via a marina and directly joined to another lake.
I dont expect a run on here but i cant leave it alone!

Kingsmead One in Wraysbury
Stock of around 400 carp in about 60 acres over 30 different 30's.
Can be a little tricky at times the fish are highly pressured.
I would expect 1or2 runs in 24 hours providing i can get on fish.(it gets very busy at weekends).

I also have permits for most other Rmc waters although havnt fished any yet and im gagging to get out on Wraysbury 1 and 2 for a bit of stalking. Im sure you dont need telling about these waters!

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Really fancy one of those uncaught monsters problem is they dont feed like the carp that get caught i would have to rethink and reinvent the whole carp fishing game.

How did you do on the tench front?

F

Frothey

papercourt seems to have come on in leaps and bounds since i used to fish it...

mid double to mid 20's runs waters for me, as in the main its all there is around here (apart from the singles to mid doubles runs waters!). one or two ressies with lower stocks but lack of hours and distance stops me fishing them regularly. when i get some time off i normally head for the oxford or kent area.