Brilliant beads from Korum

W

Wolfman Woody

Terrific idea. It's seems to me that it's no more than the "Stonfo" idea for whips or elastic connectors for poles taken to a new dimension.

Isn't that secret of all good ideas though. I'm switched on now and I'll look around for some.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That looks an excellent bit of kit doesn't it? The only thing I don't see on there is the swivel, where does that go? Presumably its main line, swivel, more mainline then the 'quick change bead?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The main line is tied to the inner of the bead, as shown in the pictures.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I popped in the tackle shop and bought a pack of these today and I've just tried tying one up, easy peasy, I thought I might have had problems with my dropsy fingers but no, everything was fine, never dropped it once. Good bit of kit, but I agree about the size of the hole, perhaps a slot might have been better. Also at first glance it looks a bit flimsy but as you've tested that, its nothing to worry about.

The only reason I mentioned the swivel Graham is, its a natural instinct to have one at the end of the mainline not only to attach the hooklength but as an anti twist but I've been assured by Woody that its not a problem.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I've been assured by Woody that its not a problem."

Much as we all use swivels in the line from time to time, they don't really achieve much - is what I said. If a fish turns on the line then chances are it will turn back again thus removing the previous twist it put in. Roach and dace are worst for doing that, but most other fish, barbel etc., rarely twist the hooklink to any great extent.

Twist put in the line by casting isn't removed through the swivel. If anything any untwisting will go right through the swivel down to the hook itself. The worst thing of all for putting twist into fine lines is double maggots, which can act like a propellor.

Funny how no-one puts a swivel into a rig with a float - and do you feel you need one? I use a swivel in many rigs to act as a stop or to fix into a bolt rig or safety clip. You're lucky you have found some already, Graham.

F

Fred Bonney

I have done(put a swivel into a rig with a float)but my reason for doing so, was more to do with knot tying confidence than anti twist!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Funny how no-one puts a swivel into a rig with a float".

As it happens I have a packet of very small swivels which I bought from Vale Royal Tackle and they are the equivalent of No. 8 shot. I used them for fishing the stick with double maggot and they were quite effective with the added advantage of a quick hooklength change. As I don't match fish anymore I havn't used them for a number of years.

I also used a swivel when fishing the Avon float and a chubber but I recognise that its not a common practice. Hooklength twist when fishing double maggot is always made worse when you reel in, the quicker you reel in the more the twist, caused, as you rightly say by the propeller effect.

W

Wag

If you hook one maggot through the 'thick' end, and the other throught the 'thin' end you can get rid of most of the propellor effect - whether it's as effective a bait offering is a different argument.

Festa

Reaction score
Been using the Korum beads for a while. Have had fish to 7lbs. No problems with strength, as this primarily was a concern. Ideal for switching hook lengths / patterns quickly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Funny how no-one puts a swivel into a rig with a float".

For distance waggler fishing, (or close in on a double maggot) I always use a micro swivel between main line and hook length.

The first time I saw this was back in 1993/4 on Steve Gardner's waggler rigs, I adopted it then and have used it ever since.

Like Graham I also use a micro swivel on the larger Avons and Chubers especially with bigger baits as well as double maggot.