Get well soon Bob

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Again more home truths and a lot of food for thought.

Again get well soon Bob, we in the DVSG are missing you.

Reaction score
Hi Bob
Sorry to hear you've been in hospital, sending prayers and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
You know I want you to get well, if only so you can channel some of that energy into catching fish!

H

Herr General Swordsy

only given it a quick scan but again a lot of truth there Bob

W

Wolfman Woody

Hope you get well soon Bob.

Is there going to be a "part 3"? Please get well soon Bob. :eek:) Put Mr Angry to bed, not Bob Roberts!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Best wishes from the cold north Bob, get well soon.

N

NottmDon

Part three? Please? The Meldrewesque humour coupled with hard facts and great observations make this one of the best bits of reading Ive done in a long long time.Was down in the doldrums, long story but my ozzy visits are something of a clue, however Bob I have now got over it as well. Thanks.

P

PAG

Bob,
What have those doctors been giving you? it must be good! Give me a name, I am sure I can get some if I turn off my spam filter.
My take on the still water barbel issue is that if they were meant to live in still water they would probably already be there. We know that ponds and lakes, if left to themselves will 'self stock' with Perch, Roach, Pike etc. the common assumption being that this is the result of spawn being transferred on the feet of wild fowl. But why are these wild fowl so choosy. There is no reason why Chub and Barbel spawn should not have been transferred to still waters in the past but has anyone seen Barbel fry appear spontaneously in a pond? All right so they can be stocked and they seem to survive after a fashion but why do it? What is the next step? Bass are a popular sporting fish (and I mean sea Bass not small mouthed) but it is a long way to the sea for some people. Given a bit of tinkering (and Bass seem quite tolerant of brackish water) how long before the Glebe is offering Bass fishing for those unable to get to the coast?
BTW I mostly fish rivers and I MOSTLY sleep at home, but then we can't agree on everything. Hope you get better soon.
Regards

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
Hopefully, Bob, there will be more good health-news to come.

Very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

M

madpiker

i hope that all turns out ok bob,and you can get out on the banks again soon

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your concerns.

I can't share a lot with you at the moment as I don't really know a lot (nothing new there then, eh?).

I was taken ill a couple of weeks ago and my doctor suspected malaria or some other tropical disease as I'd recently been in India. Blood tests ruled otherwise, but as a result of these I was whisked into hospital for observation and more tests.

I did have a virulent chest and lung infection which is still hanging on in there but nowhere near as bad as it was.

An ultrasound scan has revealed multiple cysts on both kidneys and the liver which, as you can imagine is fairly serious.

Further tests will follow before I'll know anything really. I'm home, taking rather strong pain killers for pain management and waiting.

That's all I can really say at this time. I'll keep you informed if things change but in the meantime, thanks for all the expressions of sympathy and well-wishing. They're much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi Bob
Thank you for letting us know how you are. Please take it easy and get well soon. Bruce sends a hug too.

N

NottmDon

In best actors parlance "break a leg" Bob! Its supposed to be a good luck saying! So lets hope you sail through this crisis and come out of it in better health.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Again, It has all been put into perspective for me by somebody who has either their own health problems or is looking after somebody else who needs the care.

I felt for many many years that fishing was my life, and would always be that way, but as usual I was wrong and now know that health for friends, family etc is of far more importance.

My fishing is now reduced too once a month at the mo at best, but playing on here helps and it is great to talk to people who are out there doing it!!

I agree wholeheartedly with what what Bob is saying about 'Doing it on your own terms'. I have always done it that way and as long as it is within the unwriten law, then it's fine by me.

Fishing is becoming too fragmented within itself, by that I mean Carp Anglers, Match Anglers, Barbel Anglers, Pleasure Anglers, Fluff Chuckers etc!!!!! We are all anglers at the end of the day and one should not bellitle another for the way they go about there given choice for having a dabble.

Of course us all rounders are the best though!!!!!!!!!!

Blue touch paper and all that.

Get better Mr Roberts, I enjoy you're ramblings they are more than informative, they are enjoyable with it, you gave me lots of food for thought when you were writing about match fishing and you have done it again with this article.

More please.

J

jason fisher

spot on again this one bob. baiting upstream aint on and should be countered by judicious use of the down stream catapulting of pouches of gravel and maggots directly at the offending oik.

get well soon.

J

jason fisher

as for fishing up stream of the sign into the weir, i've never got snagged up there, but it was a fair while back, some thing must have changed quite markedly, not that i'd ever cast upstream of a nofishing past this point sign anyway, hmmhmmh.