Longford Lake, Sevenoaks, and BDAS

Geoff Ralph

Reaction score
Has anyone fished either of these two club waters, Bromley`s East Lake, or Holmesdale Angling's Longford Lakes for Carp??

B

Bully

Do you mean the large lake at Chipstead Kent ? If so I have fished it a few times. Water can be very, very deep in places.

A friend of mine fishes there a lot so I can ask him (if it is the same one).

Not fished the Bromley east lake, but again, if its the lakes near Sevenoaks another friend has fished it a lot. So again, happy to ask him.

These are lakes in Kent, so I assume they are the same. I do know you have to be a member of Bromley for a year before you can fish nights. They are all nice, old established lakes around there, which is what I like. I keep meaning to join Bromley.

Geoff Ralph

Reaction score
Yes Mate the 70 acres former Gravel pit at Sevenoaks is Longford-part of Holmesdale Anlging club...its very hard going. Ive been there 5 year and had 5 fish...its my last full season though as im moving accorss to Bromley. Its my first year there but as you said you cannot do the nights. Plan on fishing Longford in the close season but thats it...very low stocking. The bromley East Lake is awesome with a decent stock too, although still very hard..Any information in the form of tips on either water is gratefully received. Although ive been fishing longford a long time (not deviating from there to any other water), i am still learning...learning its a bloody nightmare!!!!
Cheers

S

sash

John,

Start a new thread in the carp forum, I'm sure there are plenty of people that can help you.

Sorry to butt in Geoff and Stu

B

Bully

Geoff, do you know Smudge then? He fishes there a lot and says its hard.

I'll ask my mate about Bromley. Never know, I may see you down there !

Steve Smith 8

Reaction score
east lake is bloody hard to fish ,i was a member there for 3 years .its like fishing the north sea in winter .not one touch in that time ,however pike fishing is alwsome .good luck

jbulla

Reaction score
Im looking to join Holmesdale this season, probably just gonna pleasure fish the small lake this season and have a good look roudn the big lake and maybe have a crack at the carp in there next season.

apparently there are some uncaught whoppers in there but as mentioned its very hard.

Gin clear water, huge supply of natural bait, the carp dont often take boilies but use natural bait and you can get swamped by the massive shoals of bream. Lovely lake though.

jbulla

Reaction score
Apparently a 40lb has come out recently, by far the biggest fish ever to have been landed from there !

noknot

Reaction score
Sounds like a great water and one with a challenge too! Low stock, lot's of weed, natural and clear water, sounds like paradise to me and some real Carp angling!

When will you start on this water? My abvice would be to spend as much time walking the banks and watching the water way before even thinking of fishing there, Polaroids are a must too, not just for fish spotting, but also finding features such as bars ect. Have you looked on Google earth? As this can show major bar systems as well as shallow areas, I woukd be looking for features in and out of the shallows, these can be deadly spots to fish in the warmer months!
If there are lots of Bream, then look at a good fishmeal bait, and/or Tigers.
What is the angling pressure like as this can dictate many thing, which you will have to work around!
Good Luck!

Last edited:

jbulla

Reaction score
Sounds like a great water and one with a challenge too! Low stock, lot's of weed, natural and clear water, sounds like paradise to me and some real Carp angling!

When will you start on this water? My abvice would be to spend as much time walking the banks and watching the water way before even thinking of fishing there, Polaroids are a must too, not just for fish spotting, but also finding features such as bars ect. Have you looked on Google earth? As this can show major bar systems as well as shallow areas, I woukd be looking for features in and out of the shallows, these can be deadly spots to fish in the warmer months!
If there are lots of Bream, then look at a good fishmeal bait, and/or Tigers.
What is the angling pressure like as this can dictate many thing, which you will have to work around!
Good Luck!

Cheers mate

Well my plan was not to go after carp at all this season, but as you say, to spend a lot of time walking the lake with the polaroids on.

The depths range between 3 and 90 ft !!

Ive been out of fishing for a few years so bedding myself back in gently this season, so gonna mainly fish the small lake, do a bit of tench and bream fishing.

jbulla

Reaction score
Sent off for membership at the weekend, gonna have a good wlak around friday evening.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
I was a member of Holmesdale for several years and while I have seen carp that look to be in high 20’s/low 30’s, given the relatively low stocking levels and the sheer size of Longford lake (70 acres) its difficult fishing. The best I had was 11 fish in one season, the biggest going 13 pounds. On the plus side, the fish are in tip top condition, and if (like me) you enjoy fishing for the peace and quiet as much as anything else, it’s a great location to get away from it all. I found natural baits fished in the margins did best

Also, the fishing for silvers and bream is good and it’s great for pike in the winter.

Holmesdale does have a reciprocal arrangement with Tonbridge AS so you can fish their waters on the same ticket

Never fished the BDAS lakes, but heard they are pretty good.

noknot

Reaction score
Sounds like a dream water to me! There could even be an un-caught monster or two in all that rich water! My Fav water in the UK has done a 45+Mirror and a 37+Common in the last week!:eek:

Go get em Bulla!!!

jbulla

Reaction score
The rumours that a 40lb 8oz Mirror has recently come out are true. However having seen the photo put up on the website last night itlooks like a 2olb fish with a 20lb tumour :(

A real shame as all the other fish that seem to come out look in immaculate condition. Gonna go for a good walk round tonight I think.

jbulla

Reaction score
Just to clarify, the 40lb 8oz Carp that came out was heavily spawn bound.

NO tumour !