Slugs, slugs, bloody slugs ! ! ! !

C

Carp Angler

I'm being hassled by slugs and I need to either deter or eradicate them.

They get in under the door to my tackle house and completely cover everything in slime.
Tonight in the rain, I cleared out approx 50 of the slimey, evil, little critters.

I have 2 small kids (2 and 4 years) and 2 dogs, so sensible/safe advice please.

(BTW, they're the orangey brown ones, not the lovely black chub bait ones)

D

Dave Johnson

me too mate, my missus reckons its fish slime-which is bad enough in her opinion, but we know different dont we.
I even had slime trails in and hopefully out of my boots!
i put some salt in a line under the door-they detest it -makes em melt-yuk- and its safe. Some of the garden things pellets etc are OK but not safe for animals.....or kids.iTs bad enough now, my little lad has developed a taste for 18mmtutti fruiti's....LOL

G

Goose Ganderton

Hi Rik
2 of the most effective ways to get rid of your slugs is to bury a few beer bottles around the garden which are about a 1/4 full of beer. I know its a shame to waste good beer but it really does work. If you dont want to waste your beer (I know you would rather drink it) is to place a few yogurt pots on their side and place some bran powder inside them, they love the stuff. They scoff it like mad them slime off and dry up from the inside and die. You can get largeis bags of bran from all health shops. Its either that of start breeding hedgehogs, then you get problems with flees.

K

Kevan Farmer

If you know of anybody who owns a cat you could try begging a few handfuls of 'clean' cat litter from them. Slugs and snails hate to travel over anything gravelly.

R

Ron Clay

What's all this about problems with slugs. They make darned good chub bait!!

J

Jon Moores

Trout pellets seem to be the greatest slug attractor known to man and are probably part of the problem. Sharp gravel like Kevan suggests sounds the best bet (you can buy it at garden centres for this).

G

Gary Knowles

Rik,

Fill a bucket with them and get on the river - as Ron says they are a tremendous chub bait. Fish freeline and cast upstream, watching your line as you retreive - devastating bait !

G

Gary Knowles

Sorry Rik - just noticed the last line of your mail - yeah, those orangy ones do catch chub but are nowhere near as good as the black ones. No idea why though !

J

john conway

What our lass doesn’t know about slugs isn’t worth knowing. If the slugs are living in your shed you have no option but to clean out your shed, any damp crevices and the like are where they will live and possibly lay there eggs. If your shed has any adjacent dry stone walls, a rockery or damp shrubbery etc then this also is their day time residence and possible breeding area. You will need to create a barrier between your shed and their home. Sharp gravel or egg shells spread over soil will deter these slimy pest. There are some other things you could try such as “Slug & Snail Tape” a clever barrier tape that repels by the small electrical charge naturally contained in the copper face. Or “Slug Stoppa Granules” safe to pets, wildlife and children, it has a dual action: it is a long lasting physical barrier which slugs and snails will not cross; and if they do try to brave it, the granules suck the slim from them. Have a look on www.OrganicCatalog.com or any other Organic website.

C

Chris Bishop

You can also procure something called a Slug Pub at your local garden centre for the price of a couple of pints.

This is a receptable you fill with beer, which slugs find irresistable. Unfortunately, due to its fiendishly-designed rim, they also tend to overbalance, fall in and drown in ale. What a way to go.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik...sod the chub mate..the carp love them too. Either use a size 4 through the back, or hair rig them!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik...sod the chub mate..the carp love them too. Either use a size 4 through the back, or hair rig them!!!

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
Sed Rik your address, i'm sure he will share this bait with you!! LOL

B

Birds Nest

LOL, Slugs by post !! Great... Just make sure it say's "WARNING LIVE SLUGS" on the box.... I'm sure that would convince the lasses in the flat above mine that I am a complete nutter... In the last 3 weeks I've had Tubs arrive with "WARNING LIVE WORMS ENCLOSED" on it and "URGENT BIRDS MAY DIE IF THIS PACKAGE IS UNDELIVERED"....

R

Ron Clay

I would love to see anyone trying to hair rig a darned slimy slug.

K

Kevan Farmer

I don't have a clue whether it would work but you might be able to put any slugs collected to good use. Possibly not if you were using the slug pellets, but with the beer trap idea. Dry them out - pun not intended - and crush them up. Add them to whatever groundbait mix you use and see what happens. As I say it may come to nothing but you never know.

Kevan

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Rik

If they are coming into your shed under the door and are not resident the best defence is common table salt. Tip some on one and watch it melt! If you put a strip across your doorway they definitely will not cross it.

S

Stewart Bloor

I am deeply offended by the way you describe one of God's most beautiful creatures...

In fact I have notified SLAP (Slug Liberation Army Police) and they're coming round to give you all a SLAP....

P

Paul Williams

I've dug out this thread again because i was just sorting out some gear when i noticed that the cork on my barbel rod seemed to be not as good a finish as it was originally, i had noticed this last time out but it wasn't to bad so i put it down to use.......anyway messing about this morning i saw it was getting worse,i have other rods with cork handles in the same small room (that is outside the main house)and these were fine......puzzled i took a closer look at the "worn" one it was "shiny" then it dawned on me!!! i am using paste and boily at the moment and my cork was being eaten where my hands had been in contact with it and coating it with the paste smell.......bloody slugs had homed in on this and started to eat my rod!!!!!.......i'll leave em a present tonight!!!!!!!!!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Brummie, funny you should bring this back to the top - I'm going slug fishing for chub tonight...