If money was no object

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If money was no object they wouldn't be my first choice anyway, I would go for a cottage with it's own stretch of river.
The rod and reel are then a matter of what ever suits that bit of river.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Lord Paul....I'll be more positive and say a nice Bader cane rod and a new model centrepin some of which look just fantastic!

................THEN I'll buy the(never been fished)3 acre lake and a stretch of river....Wye would do just fine.......(don't really care what I live in as long as its clean!!)

richiekelly

Reaction score
fred thats exactly what i would do, the place that i am fishing (and whats in it) has always been more important to me than tackle as long as what i am using does the job that i need it to.

will spencer

Reaction score
money isn't an object but;
shimano technium bomb rod,shimano super x gtm 4000 loaded with 3lb maxima.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
B. James Avocet and a Coxon Rollerback Aerial - preferably a good forgery, so I could actually fish with it!

Or a Normark Titan and a Bewick.

Or send a team of ninjas round to Shimano and force them to make a set of proper Right-Hand-Wind Baitrunners, AND a shallow-spooled, short stemmed range for float fishing, AND cut me in for 5% of future sales thereof... whereupon money might cease to be an object.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to have myself pamperd by lots of sexy females....massages etc :)

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Or a Normark Titan and a Bewick.

I was using that very combination the other day !

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
A Daiwa Steez 6½ft catsing rod
DSCXC-1.jpg

Only $559.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A custom built 11ft version of my Constable Forty Fore and a small backhander to Mr Lythe so I can jump the queue (I might also specify a few little mods though!).

irfonminnow

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind a noob jumping in here (love these hypothetical "if money was no object/if you could only fish with one rod/reel/etc" questions).

Money is an object, unfortunately, but thats not a problem in itself because I live within walking distance of the rivers I fish, and I have no wish to buy brand-new gear.

So, if I had a few £££ in my pocket I'd be looking for a vintage small steel or cane crank-handle spinning rod (say 6').

Davidh

chav professor

Reaction score
I'm with Alan - I would love to own a B James Avocet. One came up on ebay recently, but my wife reminded me in no uncertain terms that money is of object:(

As for reels, A nice match arial - never bettered.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that my Sage rod and Abel reel combination can be beaten for a day on the river dry fly fishing to be honest.

Not the cheapest option on this planet but simply a joy to use.

For coarse fishing I'd love to have a Witcher Aerial to go with my Barder or Super Wizard, sadly they just don't come up for sale too often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
a few little mods

Who you calling little? You been peeking???

There was a lovely property below Tenbury Wells with its own stretch of the Teme, and the waterside property on the Great Ouse just downstream of Little Paxton...and a lovely house on the River Lot. . Then a house in Hungary.

That will do for starters...I'll think about the tackle later

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I'm with Alan - I would love to own a B James Avocet. One came up on ebay recently, but my wife reminded me in no uncertain terms that money is of object:(

As for reels, A nice match arial - never bettered.

I longed for an Avocet for years. No idea why, as my battle-weary Wallis Wizard did everything an Avocet would do, but there we are. A few years back, in a more profligate phase, I happened across an early Avocet (circa 1954) at a goodish price. What a disappointment that rod was. It looked lovely, but the action was all wrong. Fished side by side with the old Wizard, the latter was by far the sweeter rod. At least I got my money back on the Avocet!

The truth is, B James rods are not the best around, not by a long way. I still have a MkIV and a MkIV Avon, and whilst the Avon is a lovely lissome stick, the carp rod is a rather dull, lifeless object. I have another MkIV made and signed by a Surrey tackle dealer, which is sublime. I paid just forty quid for it a few years back, when B James rods were fetching three hundred.

If money were no object I'd like a Milwards Craftversa and a 1912 4" Aerial with Bickerdyke line guard.