Your best ever day?

S

Shrek

Took an afternoon off work to go fish my favourite swim on the Warwickshire Avon. Halfway through the session, my stick float dipped and all went solid. Thought I'd hooked weed until the fish I'd hooked went like a torpedo across to the other side of the river and I'm only on 2lb main line with a 1lb hooklink. 10 minutes later though, I landed my first ever barbel of 4lb.

Chuffed didn't even come close!!!!!!!! I still have the stick float too, 10 years on.

davestocker

Reaction score
Seven salmon in an hour and forty minutes on floatfished purple shrimp, on a ?20 year stretch of the lower Lune, in the 80's. It was supposed to be a lunch hour........

Got eight salmon in about double that time on exactly the same date (11/7) the following year, but from a different part of the beat.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Ha, excellent!

My first ever barbel trip was to the Teme with my mate.

He showed me a couple of good swims and we baited up with hemp and pellets then sat there all day. hour after hour went past with not a knock. I was resigned to blanking.

Literally 5 minutes before we were due to be picked up my rod shot round like I'd been warned it would!

I'd never had a fight like it and it ended with my first and still best 6lb Barbel!
A stunning fish that I'll never forget.

M

Mr. Uncredible

Second trip to the Throop fishery. The first had seen me sit in the long meadow stretch on a bright but misty moonlit eveing and catch chub and eels. My second trip I spent roving around and settled in the Gallery, took two barbel 6lb 4oz and 7lb 2oz. Absolutely ecstatic and my mate who'd fished it loads and introduced me to it, was as chuffed for me as I was!

Unforgettable.......and I still can't shake that fishery out of my psyche even though it bites me in the a*** every time.

G

Geoff Cowen

I have to go back to the early days of the opening of Lymm Vale over twenty-five years ago. Today it is well known for record Golden Orfe. Back in the first few years it was stocked with Trout, Greyling, Chub, Tench and Golden Orfe.
My best day ever was early on April morning the weather was terrible with snow coming down horizontally helped with a wind of about 30 MPH. I could only manage to cast parallel with the bank about a yard out. Twitching a Black and Peacock Spider as slowly as possible so as not to have to cast to often. I only manage to fish for one hour but in that time I landed 4 Greyling one at 2.75lb and two at 3.5lb topped with a fish just over 4lb added to which I had two nice trout. What a great day it was or should I say an hour.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My most memorable catch has to be one Boxing Day afternoon.
A lovely crisp and fresh day on the Dane, when I landed a 2lb chub. I was kneeling down to release it back into the shallow but turbulent water, and as I looked up, there was a fox on the opposite bank watching my movements, bathed in the late afternoon sun with a light scattering of snow, this has to be my most pleasurable moment in my fishing career.
I have had big catches of most species, but that particular day and feeling, I will never forget.

M

Mr. Uncredible

Perfectly understandable Baz. Of course there are some who'd happily rip it apart with hounds and call it sport, but that's for another day.

T

tom riordan

After spending most of my fishing life sea fishing down in deepest devon, catching my first chub on the river was my most enjoyable moment, It was a pivotable time in my fishing, and now I am fully hooked on coarse fishing. Also from what I have learnt on the rivers it has enabled me to catch the only fish to beat me off the esturies the elusive mullet.

M

matt thomas

got to be an 80lb chub haul of the trent about ten years ago,i have the photo on the windowsill at home,everything went right,the weather,the river was perfect,i did the old trent thing of rod in the air,chesties on, half way out ,with a bait apron on (remember them?)full of bronzies.incidently two weeks later the same weir was a centre spread in AT and they were chuffed with 40lb and that was two of them....... HA!!

and you know i havent fished there in anger since.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Geoff
great catch!!
That 4lb grayling must have been near -if not a record fish as the record is still only 4lb 3 ozs caught in 1989 .....

F

Frothey

taking the fly rod down the estuary the other day, loads of little bass upto a pound or so - great fun in the tidal rip on light gear...

Adrian Chubb

Reaction score
About 18 years ago on the river blackwater (tributory of the test) within the broadlands estate, very close to a road bridge. Caught at least twenty grayling, the vast majority were over two pounds. I could not believe it until a local came along and told me that they had netted a load out of the test and dumpted them in there as they were considered a nuisance on the test !

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

My red letter was about 40 years ago and didn't involve the catching of fish although I was fishing at the time.
A friend and I had booked a beat for one week on the the Wills Estate at Tomintoul and on the first day we split up and whilst he fished the upper half I fished the lower and at midday we met up at a small hut on the middle pool. We sat down on the grass outside the hut and and had just begun eating our packed lunch when there was a fluttering of wings and we were suddenly surrounded by about a dozen chaffinches. They showed no fear whatsoever and we soon had them on our hands pecking away at pieces of bread and my friend was even feeding a couple that were sitting on his shoulders.
It was a truly magic moment and although we each caught a few nice salmon that day for years after it was those chaffinches that we remembered more.
Non-anglers just don't know what they're missing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Finding a group of Smallmouth Bass on the Middelburg Dam some 20 years ago.

Caught 20 of them up to 5lbs. They fought like tigers on a light spinning rod and 6 lb line. One of them jumped so high it ended up in the boat. All fish being caught on small slider worms and spinner baits tipped with Uncle Josh Pork Rind.

M

madpiker

one of my red letter days was at chew back in 2003,i`d never caught a perch over 1lb,that morning i had 13 over 2lbs,the best going 2lb 14oz,all in less than 2 hours.when the perch stopped feeding,me and my mate went to another spot on the lake(away from the crowds)and had 22 pike up to 25lbs 1oz,my mate had that one,my best that day was 17lb 7oz,but what a day.
another day that i`ll never forget is the day i had my first conger over 50lbs,all 92lb 11oz of it!it was the first fish of my week long holiday!that was eclipsed though by a 108lb eel caught by another angler on the boat!

Reaction score
in the past year i have had two particularly special sessions in traditionally unfavourable conditions. On both occasions the fishing was in brilliant hot sunshine (30degees plus), the air perfectly still and the water was absoulutely crystal clear and warm as stew. the first red letter was a four hour stalk along the river Teme last summer that resulted in eight barbel between 6 and 8lb. I had to stop when i ran out of water. The second came this year during the first major hot spell. As i seem to spend most of my time legering i decided to have my first serious crack at float fishing on a large gravel pit for tench. That session ended with eight tiny tincas between 3 and 4lb 8oz. In both sessions all fish were caught no more than a rod length out and on a day when the pub should have been the better option. Funny old game fishing...

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I have been fortunate enough to experience a number of those special days when everything seems to have gone right, big catches of Bream in Ireland, huge nets of Chub from the Dane. My first double figure Barbel was particularly pleasing but the one that really stands out for me is taking 545 Roach, 1 Perch and 2 Gudgeon in a single session for what I would guess was a combined weight well in excess of 100lb. This was from a day ticket water where no keepnets are allowed, at the time no poles were allowed and every fish no matter what its size had to be landed with a landing net. The fish were still feeding strongly when I packed up but I had ran out of bait and had to go home, not a bad days fishing for a lad of 16 at the time who was very inexperienced in the sport.

M

Mr. Uncredible

Just had another to sit alongside the favourites in my memory bank.

My son is 20 and always been interested in fishing but not dived into it mainly I think due to him having a dyslexic side effect which up until now has made it hard for him to really fish properly. He's now decided he's going regularly with me - that's great and I'd like to teach him anything he wants to know. Went tench fishing tonight on the float up til dark. Rolling everywhere they were but not on our baits. I packed up but he didn't want to and claimed he could still see his float. Then he couldn't, struck and fish on! I didn't have to tell him how to play it - he just did it. All my doubts and concerns totally unfounded. Fish in the net - 2lb 15oz chub! The smile on his face made it perfect, I think he'll stay hooked now!