Mounting small pellets

T

tom riordan

Can anyone post any tips or tricks on mounting small pellets for hookbaits, 6mm down to 3mm. I have thought of kryston bogey and superglue straight to the hair rig. I only seem to have luck drilling pellets bigger than 12mm.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
I'm sure you can get micro pellet bands or failing that get the smallest bands you can get and then just double the band around the pellet, bit fiddley but use a baiting needle and/or forceps to help you.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't know about pellets smaller than 6mm, but a mate of mine used to use 6mms with a piece of .5 lb line tied around them.

He'd sit down on the night before a match and tie about 50. The hook was then slipped underneath the line. Painstaking, but he nearly always won matches whatever the bait.

Oh, and I don't know what knot he used either.

C

Clive Evans 1

Tom, super-gluing pellets to fine rubber bands will give you a string of hookable baits.

A simple way to do this; place a small handfull of pellets on top of an ordinary can of veg/beans.
cut your band and glue one side leaving room at each end to hold it.
now stretch it and press over the pellets and hold for 10 seconds.

This take only a few minutes and can be done in advance.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've often thought about that as well but I've never really sat down and worked out a "how to". I suppose if you use a fine hair and superglue the pellet to the hair would be the practical solution because you do need to change the pellet when its either taken or breaks down. Alternatively you could superglue the pellet to the hook which would probably be simpler.

T

tom riordan

Cheers Clive, you are a saviour, just tried your trick and it has took the drudgery out of mounting tiny pellets. Graham I have tried to superglue to fine hair and I always seem to become attached to the rig and consequently stuck to the table top.LOL. Woody your mate must be patient thanks for all your replies. The reason I asked I have sourced myself a 20kg bag of mixed pellets (Trent Baits) of trout,carp,bloodworm,liver amino,hemp,betaine,red spice,halibut, fishmeal, belachan, and boile basemix pellets of every size from 22mm down to 3mm. It a dream selection of pellets from hookers down to spod mixs/groundbait mixs.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Tom. I often drill 8mm pellets but I find this is best done by hand with 1.5mm drill and I find if you drill across the pellet rather than through the flat ends you don't get so many breakages, it must be done slowly without too much pressure though, let the drill do the work. I keep a small tub with all my various drilled pellets in soak in oil ready for use and drill them whilst waiting for a bite, these are mounted by pulling a bait band through the hole which I find very easy and very quick.

T

tom riordan

I use a bait band for my boilies graham so I will be trying a out a few presentations this weekend. Do you get less breakages when you soak with oil, the only time I have soaked pellets in oil is to slow the breakdown of the pellets in water, so I suppose it is logical that it must toughen up the pellet?

alan strickland

Reaction score
Gardner tackle do some nice small bait band`s.They come in a tube of a hundred?
I had no problem using 6mm pellets with them and think pellets down to size 4mm would fit ok.

R

Robert Woods 1

I saw a grove in pellets and mount them on "No snag hair bands" from ladies shops, 200 for ?2. Last longer than bait bands and in different colours...!!!

Bob.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tom,
before I started using expanders I used 4mm, 6mm and 8mm hard pellets, I began by doing as Clive suggested above and then I began using another method, one day I was firing out some loosefeed when the elastic on my catapult snapped, after changing it I realised if I cut a sliver off the tube it was the perfect size to fit all the smaller sized pellets I was using, I could make up a batch at home and just slide the hook under the sliver of catty elastic on the bank. So that's what I started using, Trev tomlin river king elastic 1 replacement lasted for years.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Tom, I often use 2 or 4 x 5mm Elips Pellets glued on a hair. Becuause they're flat they're easier to glue.

I've also used 3mm Bloodworm pellets. I used a file to create a flat surface and glued those on.

I find the loctite glue that comes with a brush applicator much easier to use than a traditional tube.

I'll have a dabble with the elastic band method. Sounds great for mounting directly on the hook and I'm sure something could be done for hair rigging.

T

tom riordan

Thanks for all your input lads, you have all been most helpfull and I will be putting your info to good effect this weekend as I try out all your techniques on the dove, I think I will be having a pelletfest, I have seen some nice looking roach,so I want to have a shot at them with some of the the smaller 3 - 6mm pellets. I will of course have some maggots and bread for a more traditional backup if my experimenting doesnt give any results.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Just thought I'd interject and say what a brilliant thread this is!!

Never been the sharpest chisel in the tool roll; I'm only just cottoning on to the advantages of scaling down terminal tackle

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Tom,
before I started using expanders I used 4mm, 6mm and 8mm hard pellets, I began by doing as Clive suggested above and then I began using another method, one day I was firing out some loosefeed when the elastic on my catapult snapped, after changing it I realised if I cut a sliver off the tube it was the perfect size to fit all the smaller sized pellets I was using, I could make up a batch at home and just slide the hook under the sliver of catty elastic on the bank. So that's what I started using, Trev tomlin river king elastic 1 replacement lasted for years.

I do the exact same Rodney, silicone tube and a razor blade, a lot cheaper than pellet bands. Slide a bunch onto a piece of dowel and roll them on the pellet.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
WOW, that's from a loooooong time ago, I wondered why the names were registered as Guests. It must be threads being transferred from the old site.

Anything that saves a bit of money's a good thing in my book :)