Grayling

mol

Reaction score
Hi Fellas

I'm off trotting a section of river in the next few days, I've just been told there a grayling present in quite good numbers and I fancy catching one as I've never caught one before. The big problem is I know nothing about grayling, so fellas any hints and tips on location, bait and well basically anything about how to catch one really.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
I catch them regular on my local river. I simply trott around with a small chubber loaded with double white maggot. If you feed into the runs little but often, you should have some luck. Cheers.

theartist

Reaction score
I'd personally go fine with a wire stemmed stick with single maggot as if trotting for dace. Like Nick says feed little and often and travel light so you can cover as much water as possible, look for 'dace' type swims and grayling should be around.

Good luck

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Red is the best colour for Grayling, so say the czech nymph fishers and so says my maggot tin :)

As Harvey says, drag the bait through, hard on the bottom.

They spin like crazy when hooked, so a small swivel 6 inches from the hook is a good idea. If they are big and you are using barbless, you might lose the fish of a lifetime. If you use barbed, they can be buggers to unhook. Turn them upside down when unhooking, it seems to calm them a little bit.

When returning them, literally toss them back into the water, so they land with a splash. This shocks them into shooting off. If you try to return them gently by hand you can be there for an hour and still end up with a dead fish. They seem to need a bit of an adrenaline rush to shock them into action, but keep the net handy in case one goes belly up, then try it again.

If all else fails, they taste delicious - or so I'm told. :wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
. . . all of the above is good advice but I am surprised that no one has mentioned:

Never, ever, put Grayling into a keep net, they are too delicate to survive that.

Personally I have nothing againbt using keepnets at all providing that they are correctly sited and well staked out, but never, ever for Grayling!

michaels

Reaction score
Do not disagree with the any of the above. I use a heavy chubber when the river has a bit of pace & fishing at a distance, Avon when slower. I`ve had very good results using sweet corn. If you catch a good one, they will give you a scrap!

irfonminnow

Reaction score
Red is the best colour for Grayling, so say the czech nymph fishers and so says my maggot tin :)

As Harvey says, drag the bait through, hard on the bottom.

They spin like crazy when hooked, so a small swivel 6 inches from the hook is a good idea. If they are big and you are using barbless, you might lose the fish of a lifetime. If you use barbed, they can be buggers to unhook. Turn them upside down when unhooking, it seems to calm them a little bit.

When returning them, literally toss them back into the water, so they land with a splash. This shocks them into shooting off. If you try to return them gently by hand you can be there for an hour and still end up with a dead fish. They seem to need a bit of an adrenaline rush to shock them into action, but keep the net handy in case one goes belly up, then try it again.

If all else fails, they taste delicious - or so I'm told. :wh

I always return my grayling gently, by hand, and have never had a problem. With bigger fish you have to hold them until they recover, especially at this time of the year. Thats because they put so much into a fight that the lactic acid builds up in the muscles and the body goes into shutdown.
I have never had to hold a grayling in the water for more than a minute or two before it swims off strongly.

I don't have a problem with knocking one on the head now and again for the pot.

Also, I agree with Peter, and it's worth reiterating:
Don't put grayling in a keepnet

Davidh

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
Had a quick look at the river today, I was planning on going down tomorrow but I think I'll have to put it on the back bunner for a few weeks. The river is less than a foot deep for most of the length and choked with streamer weed at the moment, the biggest problem is the amount of leaves flowing down stream.:(

I've been told they're a good eating fish, better than Trout. Living in France most people I know fish for the pot, not really a big fish fan myself

Cheers for the advice fellas.

mol

Reaction score
That maybe so but I'll have to wait to find out:(

I live in France and the season for catch Grayling is now closed