tie hooks

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a beginner to fishing, but a friend gave me a hook tyer, but no instructions to go with it, could anyone help with how to use it.

If this help as to which one, its black, with a screwed wheel on the top under a shaped pieace of metal that goes through it to form two hook parts the other side.

Thanks alot if you can.

Mark

J

jason fisher

i could show you, but writing it down would just be plain silly and completely unintelligible, the thing to do is go back to the mate who gave it to you and ask him to demonstrate. to be honest if you had the original instructions you would be none the wiser.

J

jason fisher

not bad description apart from it being wrong, i've always found it best to start with the line down the other side of the pillars. this way the line comes off at the front of the spade instead of from behind it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Depends which way you put the hook in Jason.

In fact the device was invented in the early 70s by a chap from Denton nr Manchester. He used to produce a few per week in aluminium and I had my name down for one. Before I got it he'd sold it to a company called "Rosewood" (this chap's wife worked with us in our sales office) and they made them in grey plastic so I bought one from them.

And I still have it!!!

J

jason fisher

i was refering to it from the way it look like the hook is in that one jeff, it looks backwards to me, with the line down the back of the shank.

Joskin

Reaction score
I perchased one once and after an hour or so I figured out how to use it. Then when I got it out to tie a hook on the bank I couldnt remember how to use it. I chucked the thing in the bin in the end as I found it much quicker and easyer to tie the hooks by hand anyway.

Mark Williams 8

Reaction score
Thankyou all for your kind replies i'll go and have a play see what i can do.

Thanks again it great to have people who don't mind having to answer at times very dumb questions from novices.

Mark

J

jason fisher

how can it be a dumb question if you don't know the answer.

it's only a silly question if like jeff you ask me which soddin lake on the odaa ticket has tench in it 64 times :)

W

Wolfman Woody

59 if I remember Jason. I've told you a million times, you do exagerate.

Still haven't got there yet, but I know which one now. It would help if AOAA (not ODAA) published a small map.

J

jason fisher

are you sure because i'm away this week and can't supply directions :)

J

jason fisher

actually there was a map in all of the books that i've ever had, with all of the sections and lakes marked on them

W

Wolfman Woody

No maps, just grid references. I know which it is though now and I got a tongue in me head, I can always ask one of the 23 residents of Dorchester, if any are allowed out.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Bloody hook tiers get em? in the bin and learn to tie them by hand, far better and safer.

Once had a bet with a match guy I worked with that I could tie any hook faster than he could with his contraption.

The bet revolved round him picking a hook size and pattern of his chose and one of mine. He chose 24, and I chose 4s eyed, both had to be whipped up the shank.

Needless to say I won, his contraption was stuffed with the 4s hook. I'd finished both by the time he'd done the 24s.

These days I?d be hard pushed to see a 24s without my glasses. The bloody joys of aging eh!

I?d do a photo shot of how to tie a hook by hand, but I?m a cackhander and few of you would make sense of it anyway!

Clikfire

Reaction score
I think those hook tiers are great, use them all the time. They produce a consistant knot alomost everytime, without the skill needed to tie them free hand.
Although I have never used 8 turns to tie, always found 5 or 6 perfectly adequate, and remember to keep the line under a little tension from the end of the rod.
Good instructions ED the ones that come with them always seem to miss off the last bit, where the hook has to be released to complete the process.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Phil, there will come a time when every angler can't tie hooks by hand, I reached it years ago, I'm talking 18's and smaller here. Its nothing to do with knowing how to, its about clumsy great fingers that have no feeling in them and eyesight that doesn't seem to want to focus on small objects like hooks and No. 8 shot.

To be brutally honest I've got to the stage where I'd be lost without a hook tyer and I bless the day I learnt to use it properly even if I do drop the occasional hook trying to put in the tyer. As for small shot, its hilarious setting up a stick float now (only ever No. 8's), I drop as many as go on the line and all this is accompanied by much swearing and blaspheming. As you rightly say "the joys of angling".

M

Mr. Uncredible

I took my son fishing yesterday for the first full on session where he had to do everything himself. He's been before but I've done all the setting up. Now the thing most of you will laugh at is he's 20! But he's struggled with Dyspraxia which has made it hard for him to co-ordinate his fingers properly to tie knots etc. So we bought a Matchman hook tyer and used it last night. I ended up tying them by hand as the whole knot kept going pearshaped. We'll practice with the tyer though because I think once mastered it will save his clumsy fingers a lot of time