Alternative Thoughts

K

Kevin Perkins

Whilst the articles I write are generally tongue in cheek, there is sometimes a grain of truth in there somewhere. This week's AM reports that the 'Traveller' has just been caught at 17lb - some three pounds off its 'top' weight. This is in the middle of summer, when we must assume that natural food is at its most abundant, but of course, not long after the end of the three months of famine that is the closed season.

Is it fair to assume that 17lb is therefore a 'natural' upper ceiling weight, and the additional three pounds is almost entirely due to the mountains of bait being shovelled in, in an attempt to catch these 'record breakers'

I wonder......

J

jason fisher

i regularly unhook fish in the water often many yards from the bank after all once you've hooked them what's the point of dragging them all the way to the side, no much better to let them go before you get them any where near the bank.
though i do have to land some of them because i just can't for the life of me get the hooks to fall out reliably every time.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Kevin, I far as I'm aware, all fish bulk up for the winter and carry the weight through until spawning, regardless of angling pressure. Don't other animals do the same too?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite right Matt.

Most cyprinid species are at their heaviest just prior to spawing. As regards "Traveller", its obvious that this fish has been around for a while. It could also be that this fish may be nearing the end of its life and as we all know an old fish starts losing weight.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

At this time of year most species weigh less following spawning and with high water temperatures which increase their metabolic rates.

I don't fish the stretches the Traveller comes from but it is regularly captured and reported to the press. The latest capture was reported at a weight for the fish that is actually quite high for it at this time of year.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Goodbye cruel world, I'm off to join the circus!!

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

Blimey..... now you can be accused of joining the circus merely for mentioning a well known fish !

Frank, you'll find this elephant prefers to fish quiet waters for unknown fish :eek:)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Good idea Andy.

I like the words to that old kid's song.

"Nellie the Elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus.

Off she went with a trumpety trump, trump trump "PPhhhhaaaarttt""

Yes it's time some of us forgot the circuit waters and fished somewhere proper for real wild fish.