Stupid question

R

Rasmus Keis

In danish we have a word "medefiskeri" that means fishing with natural bait. Do you have a word like that in english that describes fishing with naturals (live/dead baitfish, worms, corn etc..) in both saltwater and freshwater? The equivalent to lurefishing and flyfishing.
When translating webpages the term coarsefishing is often used, but isn't that excluding matchfishing, seafishing, trout on worms etc..?? Would "natural bait fishing" be the best term?

Rasmus, Denmark

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

To fish with natural baits for the whole range of fish, including trout and salmon doesn't have a name as such. Perhaps "Bait fishing" would be the best term.

The term "Coarse Fishing" in Britain refers to angling for species that are not members of the salmon family.

The term: "Coarse Fishing" is unique to Britain and perhaps to a few of Britains old colonies world wide.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Rasmus,
I think "livebaiting" would best describe using natural baits i.e worm/slugs, maggot/grubs and fish. Although corn, maze, hemp and other seed/pulse/root baits are classed as particle baits and talked about as a method and not really a type or style of fishing.

As Ron said above coarse fish are non members of the salmon family, mainly fished for by anglers for their sport and are carefully released afterwards.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Should have said:

"As Ron said above coarse fish are non members of the salmon family living in freshwater, mainly fished for by anglers for their sport and are carefully released afterwards."

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
When somebody in GB says they are going fishing they are usually using natural baits. Otherwise they say we are going Fly Fishing or Lure fishing in one of the many styles included i.e. Plugging, Eddy stone eels/ Jelly worms, Shads.

If they are using artificial natural baits. Artificial corn and caster are probably the most used then this is still classed as using natural baits.

R

Rasmus Keis

Thanks.
When people in Denmark are "going fishing" 90% will actually be lure fishing or fly fishing. And it will mostly be done in saltwater. 10% will be termed "coarse anglers" 80% of them will fish for pike/perch.
I guess (natural?) bait fishing will be the best term.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

By the way Rasmus, what species of fish is that you are holding?

It looks like a seatrout (migratory sea running brown trout) to me.

M

madpiker

i believe that the term coarse fish was first used by the posh game anglers to describe non salmonid species,the shooting world is similar,ie,any quarry that wasn`t a "game bird" such as grouse,pheasant,wild fowl etc was, and still is termed as "rough shooting"(rabbits,pigeons and any other "vermin")

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have investigated the term: "Coarse Angling" or "Coarse Fish" on many occasions. It difficult to find out how the term came about.

It was certainly unknown at the time of the Mundella Act - 1878 - which created the closed season we know now. Fish other than Salmonids were called "Freshwater Fish" then.

However JW Martin used the term on many occasions. Most of his books being written during the 1890 to 1903 period.

Maybe others could shed some light on this subject.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
MadPiker i thought rough shooting was when you had to flush your own game instead of standing in one place and having beaters drive it to you.

R

Rasmus Keis

Ron- sorry, didn't notice the thread had continued...

Yes, it is sea run brown trout (small one 44 cm). It is by far the most popular sport fish in Denmark, and I guess we have the highest density of them in the world along our coast line (due to stocking).