Help with Night Fishing

Glenn Cowie

Reaction score
Im just starting fishing, and am going night fishing for a 20lb carp this weekend...Have never done it before...Any tips on baits to use, that have worked well at night from personal experiance. Il give it a go..Any suggestions appreciated.

Tight lines,
Glenn.

K

Ken Moth

Hi Glenn

Problems at night can be amplified tenfold and its not usually recommending for those with little or no experience to attempt this in the first instance. safety first, make sure you have spare batteries and light when needed, it you are fishing alone, make sure you tell someone where you are and try and set everything in a position so that you can find it in the dark. Avoid areas with overhanging trees and too much bankside vegetation and take a mobile phone in case of difficulties.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Get to your swim in daylight. Note all possible snags and make sure you can reach all your gear from where you are sitting.

Wear a head torch and have a spare set of batteries for it available.

And watch out for the ruffe slappers!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In daylight, try to find a far bank marker, such as a tree that is taller than the rest or a gap in the trees.
When it goes dark you will be able to pick your casting spot out easier. (in line with a gap or tall tree)

Take a chair, and sit by your rods and watch the water for signs of moveing fish. You'l see nowt if you are asleep.

K

Ken Moth

you could of course take a ruffe slapper with you to get the brews on etc!

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
I will probably be castigated for saying this bit here goes"only just started fishing and want to catch a twenty"
dont do it,take your time,you have years to get the biguns,and use your time to learn some watercraft.Talk to and learn from other anglers who are fishing.Kieth Artur feels the same as me that the size of the fish when learning is not as important as you may think now.
But the best of luck to you and never go alone as a novice.

Andyw

Reaction score
I made the mistake of going totally unprepared.. i set up in the dark... although i had a couple of bream out I wished I'd waited and just got up there for dawn the following day....

I'll make sure my preperations are better next tiem... and I will definately be going with someone as well....

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There you go Andy, you are learning already.
Alternatively, Fish the evening session, get a good nights kip, (bivvied up) But be up and ready for the Dawn attack.

J

jason fisher

thank god he doesn't look like your mum mate believe me, they used to have a ghost in his house but the first time it met him it flew off screaming

Reaction score
I would strongly recommend you find yourself a fishing buddy for your first few nightfishing sessions, not only does this increase your personal security, but provided you are both organised and work well together, it will reduce the potential problems of playing, landing and unhooking by torchlight.

It is far easier to concentrate on playing a fish in the dark (especially if there are snags present) if you can be confident in a friend to illuminate the water for you if necessary, and to net the fish for you. It is also easier to avoid dosing off with company on the bank. Co-ordination of baiting and casting will make you both more efficient and reduce disturbance to the swim. Fish one rod each and share the costs of hook/ ground bait, torch batteries, snacks etc.

Also should you catch the whopper of your dreams you will be able to get that all important snapshot quickly and therefore release the fish asap to fight another day.

Sam Morris

Reaction score
Take a pack up, you never know when you'll get a snack attack.

but after the essentials like torches and spare batteries definately in my opinion the most important thing is to set everything up where you know it is in sensible place so you don't trip or break anything.

Glenn Cowie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips fella's. Didnt have a great night but between the 3 of us we had two commons at about 14, and a lovely fully scaled mirror just under 10lbs. Again, thanks for the advice, it certainly helped!

Tight lines