Single species

Beaker

Reaction score
If you were told that you could only fish for one species,which would it be and why?:)

audi49

Reaction score
Brown trout, because of the geographic variation within their range. Iceland to the shores of the med. Mountainous brooks to lowland chalkstreams, such variation within it's range and the landscapes it lives in.

Thankfully though it's a choice i dont have to make since they're such stupid fish to put on the bank.

matthew barter

Reaction score
I was thinking along the same lines as the thames.

I just can't choose. I fish for different fish at different times and in different locations.I enjoy them all.

The only benefit I can think of is that I might save some time and money on travel and tackle if I only fished for one species. Probably not, I can always spend more than I can afford.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Pike because im mad about them and you can catch them on lots of methods

irfonminnow

Reaction score
Brown trout, but not because they're stupid.

A big wild brown is wary, choosy, and a fighter.

Davidh

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Chub. Whatever the weather, you're in with a chance; whatever method you want to try out, chub will probably tell you if it works faster than any other species. And they're the right size to scrap without pulling you off your seat - usually.
I think I may have met the only chub in the Gade that hadn't been caught before, using an Alan Brown "Chevin" rod and three pound line; it shot off faster than the clutch could cope with, and threatened to "point" me as I fiddled about trying to disengage the anti-reverse, so I had to get up and follow it!
Once netted, I didn't bother to weigh it - I doubt it would have gone two pounds. What a moody b. of a fish that was!
The only downside would be the close season, but there's always something else to do in the spring.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Pike, no other fish has more legend/myth surrounding it. And ''oh'' those eyes, those teeth.
I've been captivated by them for over half a century, perhaps I need a shrink !!

theartist

Reaction score
Good question but horrible scenario, it would be like only looking at one woman or listening to one band all your life.

I couldn't choose.

matt1960

Reaction score
Roach without a doubt. They are the most difficult to catch, because they spend their whole lives avoiding predators and when they become large they become extremely fickle and sometimes impossible to catch. They are the ultimate challenge, and beautiful throught the season from the glowing gold of the summer to sparkling silver in the winter.

richiekelly

Reaction score
if i had to fish for one species only i wouldnt know what it would be, there has to be diversity in my fishing both venues and fish,i think i would get bored fishing for one species.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I can never understand those anglers who do dedicate themselves to one specie only, whatever it is.

I might plump for pike if only because I can have a very pleasant day walking along a river with a bag of lures and casting rod (or 5) or even drifting along in the boat doing the same or anchored up with deadbaits. Big or small, I enjoy them all.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Good luck to you pike fanatics
I would never say I am a fanatic as I probably do as much if not more barbel fishing than I do pike fishing, but, most of my barbel fishing is done in the evenings and if we only had one specie left, I'd want something I could catch in the day as well; not that barbel are a night only fish.

Also, if we were in the USA I might say muskie, but that's another sub-specie of esox anyway. Thankfully, we don't have the situation where there is only one specie left so long live the AT to protect that.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It must be big roach although big(but not bloated)tench run them a close second(White Swan Pit nr Reading)...

If where,then it would have to be The Hampshire Avon,sadly not now,but transport me back to the 60's somewhere around Ringwood or Ibsley....such beatutiful fish,such colours..nothing else comes close for me.

....2nd best would be The Regents Park Canal also in the 60's....only up to 11/2lbs or so but stunning in torch-light on late summer evenings...

sorry,got carried away......

BarryC

Reaction score
I think it would be roach.
But I might occasionally target them on a carp lake with boilies or a bream stronghold using worm.
Might get a few nusance fish but thats fishing.