Warning - River Dove

T

tom riordan

Just a quick warning to everyone on the forum who are contemplating fishing the River Dove between Hatton and marston bridge area. I went fishing on the Dove last night and found an encampment of pikeys just behind the factory at the Hatton end of the Dove, The car alarm went off less than an hour into my fishing,(nothing stolen/damaged luckiley) so needless to say I abandoned the nights fishing. Some of the access points to the river are in isolated areas, so just whatch your kit, I will post later when they have moved on. No doubt the piles of hedge clippings will soon be clogging the lanes up around Hatton/marston area. To cap a sh*t nights fishing I went onto the Trent at walton and got caught out by leaving my brolly at home and getting a good soaking by the flash thunder storm just before midnight. Cant win em all.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Glad to hear of a flash thunderstorm in the Trent catchment Tom.

Wish we could get a thunderstorm in Rotherham. I would go outside and stand in it to get cool.

I think it's important these days to go out night fishing with a companion. And have your mobile phone set to 999 just in case.

M

Mark Hodson

Just say your from the Inland revenue and they will run a mile sreaming "be jesus its the taxman"

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning Tom, I was planning on going to Tutbury this Sunday but might make alternative arrangements now.

T

tom riordan

Daniel I am probably going to fish the Horseshoe bend in eggington tomorrow night to be well away from them. I am going to have a look along Marston Lane this evening, I will let you know if they have been moved on yet. Nice one Mark, funniley enough my wife is actually a Revenue Officer, so maybe I aught to bring her with me,haha, hmm maybe not I will chance me arm with the pikeys, it will be a quiter life for me. lol.

T

tom riordan

Daniel, the place is turning into a mini pikey town, there are now 7 caravans with associated 4x4s,pickups,trucks and chav kids tear arsing around on scramble bikes. I think you would be alright fishing upstream in hatton, park outside the Castle Hotel or across the road in the parking bay in scropton old rd. or even at tutbury mill car park.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
Cheers Tom............in view of whats going on I will now probably go to Scropton, its a long trip from Stockport to get your car trashed or worse.

Appreciate the info.

Dan.

T

tom riordan

No bother mate, cross the bridge and head downstream, wink, wink.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Im sure that if you went up to the biggest bloke there and explained that you where going to be fishing overnight they would keep the kid`s in check and even look after your car overnight. ;)

T

tom riordan

I should also leave him a tenner and one of his lovely little offspring could wash the car for me. I would rather leave my car running with all 4 doors open in the middle of town and do the shopping, I think there would be more chance of it still being there :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They weren't pikeys......That was the barbel circus hitting town

T

tom riordan

They are all ensconced at collingham weir at the moment Ed, wearing their Mr Angry tshirts. Next on the tour of Britain will be Adams Mill followed by a whirlwind tour of the Wye valley. There are no barbel in the Dove, we only fish for gudgeon and minnows, its a boring river so please all you carbellers out there there are millions of Barbel at collingham. (hope that shakes em off ED)

J

john ledger

Nice one Tom was going on the Dove today but ended up on the upper Trent. Glad i did had a barbel 10lb 4oz so it made my day.
Let me know if the pikeys are there as i will bring the wife down.She will scare em off

Dave Mcfluffchucker

Reaction score
did you see a puddle of muddy water in the middle of em might be a new carp pound you know how news spreads ( i swear i saw a thirty on the surface)

J

jason fisher

maybe there should be a pikey season where you're allowed to shoot them, i'd be up for that.
crawling about in the undergrowth with yer deer stalker on picking em off early in the morning.
after all we're allowed to shoot rabbits and deer to keep their numbers down.

J

john ledger

Cheers Daniel its the biggest i have had from Trent.Last week i photographed a ten pounder for another angler. Had another today around 6lb 8oz and the fellow below me had one over 9lb and lost a real big fish. I thought the one i caught was over or around 11lb but only just made 10lb 4oz. Should have caught it in October

Milo

Reaction score
Heheh! With all these wireless networks about, they might be reading this with their new laptops :)

T

tom riordan

Just to let everyone know the current situation regarding the pikeys. They have moved on now and the mess has been cleaned up, so you should all have relatively safe parking and fishing in the area.