Carp deaths in the North West

C

Chub King

Things seem to be getting pretty dire in the north west. Carp started dying on the River Weaver eight weeks ago and the problem, whatever it is, seems to have spread to the Trent and Mersey, the Bridgewater, the Shropshire Union, Winsford's Top Flash and National Pool.
The EA have ruled out pollution but, despite testing dead and live fish, they have not been able to determine the cause.
Can Fishingmagic members help give me a fix on exactly what's happening? Where have dead or distressed fish been spotted? Where's been closed? Does everywhere need to be shut? Is it all blown out of proportion, or is there a very serious problem developing in the region?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This problem rears its ugly head every year and no area seems to be immune. No reasons for the death of thousands of carp are ever established and no amount of testing establish a common cause. Maybe its something to do with the breeding, who knows but it very rarely, if ever, affects other species and you would think that therein lies the clue.

No amount of control or precaution seems to be effective either as we found out when our lake suffered a massive carp kill even though we took precautions when it affected a lake 10 miles away.

I

Ian "snotman" Foden

All WAA waters in the area closed 26th June as a precaution, but many clubs just enforced keepnet bans. I thought spring vireamia or environmental conditions might be the cause as the EA cant find any disease at present,...who knows.

C

Chub King

I realise that carp die all over the country each and every year post spawning. We had a load go belly up in the Nene around Oundle but it seems to have quickly run its course (let me know if I'm wrong anyone).
However, this incident in the north west keeps going and seems to be spreading. That in itself points towards some kind of virus or disease that affects only carp. I accept that each year the agency and CEFAS struggle to determine the cause but that doesn't excuse slow reactions with regards closing waters and advising clubs.
Anglers could be inadvertently spreading it. It could just as easily be wildfowl I guess... Anyone got anymore takes on it? Thanks for that info Ian.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When we had the results from the laborator where they examine these diseased fish (somewhere over Sussex way, can't remember the name) there was a list as long as your arm of the various diseases that our carp carried. It said that all these diseases were almost certainly endemic and non of which would be fatal or would account for their sudden death. Conclusion? Unnacountable death not uncommon in other areas of the country.

I believe this is still the case today, six years on, nothing learned, and still the carp die in their thousands. If it were people I bet they would find out quick enough so maybe fish aren't as important.

C

Chub King

Latest take is that it's almost certainly an infectious agent of some sort that affects carp. Anyone with any information on sighted fish in distress or dead on the surface should call the fisheries team at the south area office of the north west region of the EA. Best contact is Nicki Rushton on 01925 543536. Please don't lay into them. They have now realised the seriousness of the situation and are doing all that they can to try and find a solution.