Fins Ain't Wot They Used to be?

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Took advantage of the recent warm weather to do a night's barbelling. It rained like hell, and it was damned windy, but with a warm air temperature. I suppose I could not have had everything.

I quickly lost two barbel, almost instantly following the strike, on a very sharp snag. The line was cut almost immediately. There were also fallen trees immediately upstream and also just downstream of me, and so, after the losses, I figured I had to hook and heave hard. The night was profitable, 3 very good chub, and 5 barbel to 9 pounds. All were, from necessity, more or less skulldragged in, on a 1&3/4 pound test, 12 foot rod with 10 pound line ( minus a bit for the knots). Clutch well tightened, and so none of the barbel, as a result, ever took more than a yard or so of line.

I got to thinking during the quieter spells, as I crouched under the umbrella, on my small gravel beach, hoping that the rising water would not force me off the peg. A foot of extra water was just fishable, more than that and everything would have been floating away.

I was surprised that none of the barbel was able to take more line. I had expected, in the difficult swim, to have had a few worrying moments, but none came. I had taken, until a year or two ago, a 30 year break from all my fishing, but surely barbel used to fight harder than this back then, 35 years ago? I have taken quite a few pike over the last three or four weeks and they did not disappoint. True drama, even when once more having to hold hard to prevent the fish reaching snags. One of the pike gave me the best fight I have ever had from a coarse fish. But the barbel, like others I have caught these last two years, seem to quite frequently disappoint. They have had neither the drama, nor the power and speed that the pike displayed.

So I looked at some of my old barbel photos: and comparing them to fish I, and others, have caught recently, there is a noticeable difference. The old fish were much slimmer, much sleeker. Could this be why the fights seem less powerful? Or has too much water passed under the bridge for me to still be a worthy judge? But would someone who has fished right the way through those years be a better judge? Maybe not. One's recollection of how a fish fights in general ( rather than individual notables) is based upon recent captures, which overwrites older data in the brain. Don't believe me? Try and remember how your mother looked 20 years ago. By remembering her directly, rather than by remembering through photographs. It is hard to overpaint the recent mental picture you have of her.

Many barbel anglers openly have friendly digs at the carp boys: sleepy young lads in their bivvies waiting for an overweight lump to hook itself in a puddle. Pond pig carp fed up over the years with angling's equivalent of fishy fast food. Most unhealthy for the fish? But are barbel any different. The banks of most rivers holding barbel are regularly lined with anglers chucking in hemp, boilies, pellets, meat and a hundred other food items. The barbel are these days living in long fish farms, and are almost force fed daily.

So the recent photographs mainly show barbel with very large girths. Many of the fish look like escondees from a fat camp. Make no mistake, a large barbel still looks a very handsome fish. Stunning even. But is it actually obese, from not doing any of the exercise it would have had to do years ago? When every freshwater shrimp was hard won, dug up from the gravel. When every snail had to be chased? Today the baits are presented on the bottom, in easy reach, and are effortlessly swept up by these fish, for very little actual expenditure of energy.

Have we caused a major reduction in our barbels' fighting fitness? Or does the size of a fish matter more now than the fight for some of us? In the past a ten pound barbel was quite a rarity. These days few barbel anglers don't have at least one double in their tallies. Most have far more. Many expect to catch doubles every season, and a number seem to expect them almost on a weekly basis, or even several in a session. The fish are certainly much larger these days, and a deal of that weight increase is undoubtedly due to the food we give them. But are they any longer? Hard to tell: The Dutch angling records go on length rather than weight, and might just provide some useful data. Our barbel are not the only species affected of course, but I chose them as they seem to be viewed highly as a fighting fish.

So, are we all ruining it for ourselves? Have we stopped our fish from fighting?

Any other opinions? Which do you prefer? Fit fish or fat fish?

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
i would agree that some barbel certainly have an easier life as far as getting food than they used to,i know of swims on the trent that are fished every day and fed with a continuous diet of mostly pellets of one type or another,one of the swims is very snaggy,the diet of pellets certainly hasnt reduced the fighting quality of the barbel caught from the snaggy swim as they continue fighting hard when they are away from the snags,on the other hand i fish a swim on the warks avon where the current runs entirley on the far bank the water in front of me being very slack the barbel i have caught from here do not fight as much once they are in the slacker water and have no current to help them,also on the avon is a swim where i fish the near bank ( most of the flow is on the near bank and goes under an overhanging tree) barbel caught from here fight like demons due to i belive the strong flow.

i fished the severn a lot during the 70s and thinking back the barbel did fight very hard but the tackle we used then was nowhere near suited to barbel as the stuff used today so did they fight hard due to the unbalanced tackle being used? i think it was,you hear people say that stillwater barbel fight just as hard as river fish but on what tackle? i have never caught one and wouldnt want to so i wouldnt know.

in answer to your question i think barbel fight differently in different situations both river conditions and tackle being used,is the tackle you use now the same as you used to use? barbel are certainly bigger now possibly/probably due to being fed regularly on pellet/boilies etc,i dont know if this diet affects the way they fight i dont really mind as long as i get to look at this beutifull fish when i am lucky enough to catch one(or two)

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I fish the Trent a lot and find the Barbel here fight very hard, hard enough to snap 15lb line imo and bend really strong hooks. What i do find on smaller rivers is the Barbel dont fight as hard as the Trent barbel. Maybe its because Trent Barbel have a very free range and environment and the smaller river barbel are generally holed up for hours at a snag or safe haven and dont really get the opportuinity to leave there safe havens as much as a fighting fit Trent Barbel has. I have had 6 lb Trent Barbel nearly pull me in at times.

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
I fish the Trent a lot and find the Barbel here fight very hard, hard enough to snap 15lb line imo and bend really strong hooks. What i do find on smaller rivers is the Barbel dont fight as hard as the Trent barbel. Maybe its because Trent Barbel have a very free range and environment and the smaller river barbel are generally holed up for hours at a snag or safe haven and dont really get the opportuinity to leave there safe havens as much as a fighting fit Trent Barbel has. I have had 6 lb Trent Barbel nearly pull me in at times.

Interesting comment: the fish I mentioned were from the Trent too. I don't personally think Trent fish are any fitter than those from other rivers.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Interesting comment: the fish I mentioned were from the Trent too. I don't personally think Trent fish are any fitter than those from other rivers.

neither do i ,it all depends on how much flow there is in the river and the tackle being used,i dont think there is a barbel swimming in the uk that is capable of breaking 15lb line if the rod isnt pointed straight at the fish.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
When using heavy leads and feeders in periods of flood water, the energy produced by a fish attached on a short hooklength with an 8oz lead a couple of feet away hell bent on finding a snag, somethings going to give.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Usually 10lb mono will only snap at a good several or more pounds above it's breaking strain. Also a 1 3/4 test rod is a pretty strong tool so in reality unless there is a flaw in the line or a dodgy knot fishing on that set up even in a pretty pacey glide you should be able to hit and hold any barbel without much trouble at all. I think the biggest worry for me would be the hook pulling out when not giving any line.

richiekelly

Reaction score
When using heavy leads and feeders in periods of flood water, the energy produced by a fish attached on a short hooklength with an 8oz lead a couple of feet away hell bent on finding a snag, somethings going to give.

why would you fish a swim where 8ozs of lead are require? in flood conditions barbel can be found near to their usual locations but a lot of the time are out if the main flow,i have caught double figure barbel in a flooded trent,my bait would have been on the piece of bank i would normaly have sat on,i never used 8ozs of lead when i used to fish from the beach.

cg74

Reaction score

Jonny, are you sure they're barbel not catfish???

Not wishing to sound condescending or anything but IMHO no way should 15lb line or a good strong hook such as Korda Wide Gape give up irrelevant of what's hanging on the end, your rod will/should snap first.

There could be several reasons why your tackle isn't standing up; poor quality (line and/or hooks), poor knots, poor hook hold (putting excessive pressure on the hook tip).
To emphasise my point; get a decent hook, tie it to 15lb line using a well moistened knotless knot or palomar depending on how you normally present a bait and slowly (don't snatch) pull for a break, I think it may shock you just how much pressure is needed to break it, also to check your hook, you should be able if its a good strong one to exert 30lb+ of pressure, simply tie it to 30lb line and again pull for a break but make sure the weight is only going onto the hook's bend (as it should be in the fishes mouth) and not slipping to the point.

As for 6lb fish nearly pulling you in, I shouldn't worry to much, I sometimes get nigh on pulled in by 6oz roach.:eek::D

Going back to the original thread question:
John, I think TBH its a few things leading to your opinion that they aren't fighting like they used too.

Like suggest by you, maybe over the years you've added a bit to their fighting prowess in your mind-set, rose tinted glasses looking back reminiscing has that effect.

Rods, reels, hooks, line etc are all better now than they were even a decade ago, let alone further back in time than a decade.

Also I debate just how hard a fighting species barbel actually are, thus leading to falsely high expectations; are they wily adept snag seakers as chub, do they have the raw power of a carp, taking 60-70 yards of line on a single run, pound for pound are they much better fighters than tench???
IMO the answers to those questions are all no.
Don't get me wrong they are great fun and do pull back hard but I do think regards their fighting prowess they are over rated.

I'd put catfish or river carp as top of the fighting stakes and in flood conditions described by Jonny, a Tesco carrier bag takes some beating.:D

richiekelly

Reaction score
a five bar gate that i snagged on a flooded trent takes some beating for pulling back. river carp are a different beast to lake fish but other than carp barbel will take some beating in the fighting stakes,i dont know what stillwater barbel fight like never caught one ,dont want to.

Last edited:

broomy

Reaction score
Last September got a 10lb pike lip hooked to #12 Drennan barble hook on a short length of 10lbs feeder braid. Gave a tremendous fight on my 12 foot Greys Prodigy 1.5TC rod in a wide slow moving section of the Tees. Was convinced it was a really good Barble until It came close to the net. The pike had picked up a 8mm pellet. My pal had a smaller fish on sweetcorn again lip hooked. Perhaps explains some unexpected breakages I have suffered in the past. A good fish well on then all of a sudden its gone, nylon or braid broken near to the hook.
I am of the opinion that all species,even Bream can fight well if caught on suitable gear.
A three pound chub on the waggler rod will have you all over the river. On the 1.5TC its beaten in seconds.
A 1.75Tc rod and 12lb braking strain line would easily subdue any salmon I have ever caught

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Jonny, are you sure they're barbel not catfish???

Not wishing to sound condescending or anything but IMHO no way should 15lb line or a good strong hook such as Korda Wide Gape give up irrelevant of what's hanging on the end, your rod will/should snap first.

There could be several reasons why your tackle isn't standing up; poor quality (line and/or hooks), poor knots, poor hook hold (putting excessive pressure on the hook tip).
To emphasise my point; get a decent hook, tie it to 15lb line using a well moistened knotless knot or palomar depending on how you normally present a bait and slowly (don't snatch) pull for a break, I think it may shock you just how much pressure is needed to break it, also to check your hook, you should be able if its a good strong one to exert 30lb+ of pressure, simply tie it to 30lb line and again pull for a break but make sure the weight is only going onto the hook's bend (as it should be in the fishes mouth) and not slipping to the point.

As for 6lb fish nearly pulling you in, I shouldn't worry to much, I sometimes get nigh on pulled in by 6oz roach.:eek::D

Going back to the original thread question:
John, I think TBH its a few things leading to your opinion that they aren't fighting like they used too.

Like suggest by you, maybe over the years you've added a bit to their fighting prowess in your mind-set, rose tinted glasses looking back reminiscing has that effect.

Rods, reels, hooks, line etc are all better now than they were even a decade ago, let alone further back in time than a decade.

Also I debate just how hard a fighting species barbel actually are, thus leading to falsely high expectations; are they wily adept snag seakers as chub, do they have the raw power of a carp, taking 60-70 yards of line on a single run, pound for pound are they much better fighters than tench???
Don't get me wrong they are great fun and do pull back hard but I do think regards their fighting prowess they are over rated.

I'd put catfish or river carp as top of the fighting stakes and in flood conditions described by Jonny, a Tesco carrier bag takes some beating.:D

Glad to see someone else thinks as I do - the fight of a barbel is widely over-rated. During the last hundred years many words have been penned on the barbel and its fighting qualities, but I have not found them to be particularly powerful. The fact they are often encountered in fast water may create an illusion of power (more so in the old days when barbel tackle was, by todays standards, very light) but how much of that is the fish and how much the water pressure? I don't doubt the barbel of the bigger rivers such as the Trent, Severn and Wye can pull a bit - especially in flood conditions -, but in my experience on the Thames, Kennet, Lea, Avon, Loddon and Rother they don't exactly set your hair on fire. Maybe small water barbel don't have the raw power of their kind in the bigger waters, and the sense of speed and power is created by the close proximity of snags usually found on such rivers.

Small barbel are much more lively; I'd rather hook half a dozen three pounders in a fast run on float tackle than one thirteen pounder on standard issue barbel tackle. Almost all my barbel have been landed on line of 6lb bs or lower, and I've not been broken by one. My biggest of all was a foulhooked 14lb+ fish which got itself attached by the pectoral fin in the House Pool of the Royalty, when the river was a couple of feet up and pushing through. It was landed within five minutes on 6lb line and a standard avon rod.

I did lose one recently on the Kennet, which took two maggots on a 16 hook and four pound line; had the hookhold not failed I have little doubt I'd have landed the fish - and in a reasonable period of time. Before someone takes me to task over using such small hooks for barbel, let me point out I'd scaled down from a forged size 12 in a spirit of experimentation rather than deliberate lunacy, simply to try and hit some particularly difficult and frustrating bites which were, I suspect, caused by minnows.

If I fished big rivers like the Trent or Severn I'd probably find the need for heavier tackle, so I certainly don't wish to make a case for never needing anything heavier than 6lb line! However, I think we miss out on a lot simply by tackling up with 15lb lines and heavy rods every time we set out with barbel in mind.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
why would you fish a swim where 8ozs of lead are require? in flood conditions barbel can be found near to their usual locations but a lot of the time are out if the main flow,i have caught double figure barbel in a flooded trent,my bait would have been on the piece of bank i would normally have sat on,i never used 8ozs of lead when i used to fish from the beach.
My reason i use these heavy leads, because when i go fishing i go to catch fish. Admittedly i could fish where you fish in flooded rivers and catch, but i personally may put one rod there and one rod in the main flow. Also i think that if the lead gets dragged you have a greater chance of it snagging up, with a heavy lead it gives you more time in your chosen area. Only last week i fished a section of the middle Trent with 18" of water on, i caught 3 fish on the near side line and when i fished the far bank with an 8oz lead and single hook bait, i managed a further 9 Barbel.
Its each to there own with the way you fish, i am happy with my way and it works. It always seems to go this way with anglers who rarely fish the Trent, and cannot see the extremes the river can put on your Tackle. If i fished the Hampshire Avon, never in my wildest dreams would i fish this way.
I cant be doing too bad this season, using my methods, landing nearly 300 barbel and 27 Doubles to over 15lb plus from the Trent. I wonder how many i would have caught using some of your methods.
Maybe we should ask which fish gives the best fight pound for pound?

Great debate though

Johnny

richiekelly

Reaction score
My reason i use these heavy leads, because when i go fishing i go to catch fish. Admittedly i could fish where you fish in flooded rivers and catch, but i personally may put one rod there and one rod in the main flow. Also i think that if the lead gets dragged you have a greater chance of it snagging up, with a heavy lead it gives you more time in your chosen area. Only last week i fished a section of the middle Trent with 18" of water on, i caught 3 fish on the near side line and when i fished the far bank with an 8oz lead and single hook bait, i managed a further 9 Barbel.
Its each to there own with the way you fish, i am happy with my way and it works. It always seems to go this way with anglers who rarely fish the Trent, and cannot see the extremes the river can put on your Tackle. If i fished the Hampshire Avon, never in my wildest dreams would i fish this way.
I cant be doing too bad this season, using my methods, landing nearly 300 barbel and 27 Doubles to over 15lb plus from the Trent. I wonder how many i would have caught using some of your methods.
Maybe we should ask which fish gives the best fight pound for pound?

Great debate though

Johnny

johnny you seem to have taken my comment about using 8ozs of lead as a dig at the way that you fish,it certainly wasnt meant to be ,it was an observation from a personal point of view, yes we all go fishing to catch fish (although there are other reasons) but i would not enjoy fishing with such large weights on my line, as for not fishing the trent i have fished the trent since the early 1970s and 18 inches of extra water to me is not that much,high water on the trent is to me measured in feet,how many would you have caught using my methods? thats a question that i cannot answer all i can say is that i have caught a lot of barbel from the trent in all conditions and a variety of methods, they are very stupid and greedy fish that once found are not hard to catch,i like to use tackle that i belive is sensible and that gives me a good fight (i dont use light tackle) i cannot help but think that 8ozs of lead would dull the fight somewhat,from what you say you have had a good season but one of the reasons i havent fished the trent as much this season is that i found that all i was doing was compiling a list of double figure barbel and not enjoying my fishing as much as fishing to me is about much more than lists and size of fish,i couldnt tell you how many barbel i have caught this season as i dont know,the fish ihave caught have not been as big as fish i have had from the trent but i have enjoyed them more as i have had to try harder to catch them.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Barbel under 10lb definately fight harder - as in make an effort to take line downstream in the flow or toward a snag.

Over 10lb they tend to hug the bottom and resist being wound in rather than actively fight.

In my experience anyhow.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Crossed wires here, i only used big leads when i need to, most of this season on the Tidal it was a 3oz lead as its been very low. 18" of water isnt a lot, but when there are BArbel tucked under the far bank, its the weight required to hold bottom with the autumn rubbish going downstream. I will be on the TT tomorrow in a very good flood peg, i hope 8oz is enough. like you big leads dull the fight, but when there is some water on, a heavy lead is needed. I and with some advice from you also, have had a very good season catching Barbel on the Trent using the float, thats fishing imo.
We should draw a line, are you up for a session...

Johnny

John Spilsbury

Reaction score

Sorry, have been unavoidably away: broken computer monitor.

I would agree that in general barbel are somewhat overrated. For me, of the larger coarse species: River carp, Pike in September/October... Wild carp. As for tench, I don't feel able to compare, the still water/ moving water clouds that test too much for me. Catfish: only caught three, and they sort of determindly resisted coming anywhere nearer, rather than fought. When I have had a few more cats I will have more to go on.

I don't think I am holding the rose tinted glasses VERY close though. I still think those old lean fish fought noticeably harder, although I would admit some of that thought is guided by the appearance of the fish themselves...."this overweight fish simply CANNOT fight as hard as it would were it match fit".

The snag "seeking" is always an interesting topic. One more which seems to provoke the most outrageous statements. I saw one post somewhere where an angler lost a carp or three on the Trent. I think he was night fishing. He wrote something like:
"They knew exactly where that snag was over on the far bank and swam straight for it"

Utter codswallop. A hooked fish is a panicking fish, and its limited mind power is not going to be able to set a target of reaching a specific distant snag. Some fish MAY, I say MAY, make for a snag that is close enough to be seen clearly in daytime. But I suspect it is more often a case of which direction the fish is pointing when first hooked. That might account for chub being better snag seekers....they sought out the snags way before you presented the hook bait near them, and hence the snags were nearby. They live nearer the snags.
After a few seconds of panic a fish has even less idea of exactly where it is, than the angler has. I suspect most fish in open water reach snags by chance, as the line passes by the snag and is intercepted by it. In a snaggy swim, maybe the best you can do is to hold hard, and hope in doing so you raise the fish above the bottom and away from the snags. At closer quarters heavy sidestrain may help keep the fish away from known close in snags/fallen trees.

Last edited:

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Sorry, have been unavoidably away: broken computer monitor.

I would agree that in general barbel are somewhat overrated. For me, of the larger coarse species: River carp, Pike in September/October... Wild carp. As for tench, I don't feel able to compare, the still water/ moving water clouds that test too much for me. Catfish: only caught three, and they sort of determindly resisted coming anywhere nearer, rather than fought. When I have had a few more cats I will have more to go on.

I don't think I am holding the rose tinted glasses VERY close though. I still think those old lean fish fought noticeably harder, although I would admit some of that thought is guided by the appearance of the fish themselves...."this overweight fish simply CANNOT fight as hard as it would were it match fit".

The snag "seeking" is always an interesting topic. One more which seems to provoke the most outrageous statements. I saw one post somewhere where an angler lost a carp or three on the Trent. I think he was night fishing. He wrote something like:
"They knew exactly where that snag was over on the far bank and swam straight for it"

Utter codswallop. A hooked fish is a panicking fish, and its limited mind power is not going to be able to set a target of reaching a specific distant snag. Some fish MAY, I say MAY, make for a snag that is close enough to be seen clearly in daytime. But I suspect it is more often a case of which direction the fish is pointing when first hooked. That might account for chub being better snag seekers....they sought out the snags way before you presented the hook bait near them, and hence the snags were nearby. They live nearer the snags.
After a few seconds of panic a fish has even less idea of exactly where it is, than the angler has. I suspect most fish in open water reach snags by chance, as the line passes by the snag and is intercepted by it. In a snaggy swim, maybe the best you can do is to hold hard, and hope in doing so you raise the fish above the bottom and away from the snags. At closer quarters heavy sidestrain may help keep the fish away from known close in snags/fallen trees.

I agree. The fact that those carp found A snag can be misinterpreted. Chances are those fish would have found another if they'd headed in a different direction. I've had plenty of carp and barbel from snaggy swims, and there's no evidence to suggest they always make for the nearest snag; as many carp have headed out into open water away from the nearest snag as into it. Barbel seem to hug the bottom and move randomly around, sometimes finding a snag, sometimes not.

However, you never know which it is going to be until you're attached to the fish, so it pays to consider the conditions and choose tackle accordingly, though that doesn't necessarily mean really powerful rods and super-strong line. It's only where the snags are numerous and submerged that the heavy gear is really needed.

Keith M

Reaction score
I quickly lost two barbel, almost instantly following the strike, on a very sharp snag. The line was cut almost immediately. There were also fallen trees immediately upstream and also just downstream of me, and so, after the losses, I figured I had to hook and heave hard. The night was profitable, 3 very good chub, and 5 barbel to 9 pounds. All were, from necessity, more or less skulldragged in, on a 1&3/4 pound test, 12 foot rod with 10 pound line ( minus a bit for the knots). Clutch well tightened, and so none of the barbel, as a result, ever took more than a yard or so of line.

I got to thinking during the quieter spells, as I crouched under the umbrella, on my small gravel beach, hoping that the rising water would not force me off the peg. A foot of extra water was just fishable, more than that and everything would have been floating away.

I was surprised that none of the barbel was able to take more line. I had expected, in the difficult swim, to have had a few worrying moments, but none came. I had taken, until a year or two ago, a 30 year break from all my fishing, but surely barbel used to fight harder than this back then, 35 years ago? I have taken quite a few pike over the last three or four weeks and they did not disappoint. True drama, even when once more having to hold hard to prevent the fish reaching snags. One of the pike gave me the best fight I have ever had from a coarse fish. But the barbel, like others I have caught these last two years, seem to quite frequently disappoint. They have had neither the drama, nor the power and speed that the pike displayed.

So I looked at some of my old barbel photos: and comparing them to fish I, and others, have caught recently, there is a noticeable difference. The old fish were much slimmer, much sleeker. Could this be why the fights seem less powerful? Or has too much water passed under the bridge for me to still be a worthy judge? But would someone who has fished right the way through those years be a better judge? Maybe not. One's recollection of how a fish fights in general ( rather than individual notables) is based upon recent captures, which overwrites older data in the brain. Don't believe me? Try and remember how your mother looked 20 years ago. By remembering her directly, rather than by remembering through photographs. It is hard to overpaint the recent mental picture you have of her.

Many barbel anglers openly have friendly digs at the carp boys: sleepy young lads in their bivvies waiting for an overweight lump to hook itself in a puddle. Pond pig carp fed up over the years with angling's equivalent of fishy fast food. Most unhealthy for the fish? But are barbel any different. The banks of most rivers holding barbel are regularly lined with anglers chucking in hemp, boilies, pellets, meat and a hundred other food items. The barbel are these days living in long fish farms, and are almost force fed daily.

So the recent photographs mainly show barbel with very large girths. Many of the fish look like escondees from a fat camp. Make no mistake, a large barbel still looks a very handsome fish. Stunning even. But is it actually obese, from not doing any of the exercise it would have had to do years ago? When every freshwater shrimp was hard won, dug up from the gravel. When every snail had to be chased? Today the baits are presented on the bottom, in easy reach, and are effortlessly swept up by these fish, for very little actual expenditure of energy.

Have we caused a major reduction in our barbels' fighting fitness? Or does the size of a fish matter more now than the fight for some of us? In the past a ten pound barbel was quite a rarity. These days few barbel anglers don't have at least one double in their tallies. Most have far more. Many expect to catch doubles every season, and a number seem to expect them almost on a weekly basis, or even several in a session. The fish are certainly much larger these days, and a deal of that weight increase is undoubtedly due to the food we give them. But are they any longer? Hard to tell: The Dutch angling records go on length rather than weight, and might just provide some useful data. Our barbel are not the only species affected of course, but I chose them as they seem to be viewed highly as a fighting fish.

So, are we all ruining it for ourselves? Have we stopped our fish from fighting?

Any other opinions? Which do you prefer? Fit fish or fat fish?

The Barbel in the small Streams/rivers that my friends and I regularly fish put up a superb fight when hooked but it may not be the same on every water.

In the book Bream and Barbel by Peter Stone; Stoney mentions that he and Walker had spoken about the Barbel on the Royalty which appeared to fight much less than the Barbel on the other stretches and rivers, and Stoney cites a 9lb Barbel that he had caught that just swam around in circles after being hooked.

Walker reckoned that because the Barbel were caught so often they got to learn by repetition that they would find themselves back in the water a lot faster and so just seemed to give up once hooked.
This of course is not the case today but back in those days the Royalty was the mecca of all Barbel anglers in the UK.

Years ago there were only a fraction of the number of anglers who fished for Barbel regularly compared to today.
We virtually had the rivers to ourselves at night unlike today where it seems that everyone and his dog is trying to catch them.

Maybe it is because they are getting fatter through all of the bait they are finding on the bottom today, or maybe (like the Barbel on the Royalty in Walker and Stoneys day); your Barbel have started to learn by repetition that not fighting so hard would find them back in the water quicker??

I'm glad that the Barbel in the waters I fish are not acting this way and are still putting up a great fight as is normal.

Below is a Barbel ‘Length for Age’ chart produced by the EA from the upper river Lea which although it doesn’t take overall weight into account gives the average growth length for ages up to 12 years.
The reason why it is not a smooth curve once it goes over 500mm is that fewer specimens were recorded at this size so the averages waiver a bit.

gallery_13295_274_12217.jpg

Last edited: