river carp - active in winter?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Does anyone know how active river carp will be throughout the winter? Presumably they need to expend more energy in order to survive in a current and would therefore have to eat more than their still water mates? Making them a much more viable target for winter carp fishermen?

Anyone got any first hand experience of carp fishing through the winter? I fish the thames mainly in oxfordshire... not looking for info on swims, just whether it's a realistic proposition

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A few years ago I was catching as many carp as barbel - sometimes more - fishing the Kennet & Avon in Jan/Feb. Some time a couple of carp per session. I must say they didn't fight too hard though whether that was the time of year, temp or just a poor strain of fish I don't know.

These days I don't catch anything !

Philip

Reaction score
I was asking myself the same question a few years ago & then I saw one guy who baited up big time throughout the summer continue to bait in the same quantity in the winter and his catches were quite simply astounding.

Continuing the baiting is very important especially if your venue has a big head of other fish.

flightliner

Reaction score
Jim --go for it mate, back in the eighties I did several winters on the Trent and it was extremely productive. Much better than several friends who were using stillwaters during the same period.The fish I was trying hard for finally came one day in late january when the river was flooded and there was several inches of snow on the ground. Had bigger but that one is still one of my best.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I remember going after some river carp on the Mole in the winter of 2000 - increadible close range fishing - just had to hit and hold; I could feel the cork handle bending in my hands.

No monsters but plenty of doubles.

cg74

Reaction score
I have found that river carp feed in a very much similar way to chub and barbel, so if conditions look good for both species it should be game on.:)

By this I look for an influx of warming flood water (like with barbel) but peak time IMO would be as the flood starts fining down (like chub).
They'll also feed after a prolonged period of cold weather, even without an upturn in temps, out of necessity I guess as unlike there stillwater counterparts they have to constantly burn up energy swimming in the current (even on the slowest of rivers).

Hit it right and bumper bags are possible, as all resident fish are feeding in a short window of optimal conditions.
You'll also find that if March is pretty mild, especially if Jan & Feb have been harsh they'll click on big style.;)
Certainly a very adaptable beast, shame most of our indigenous species aren't.:(

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks all

Well, seems like the weather should be ok - the rains are starting to swell the thames and hopefully the fish will be switching on.

I'll let you know how things pan out.

cheers
Jim