Shrimp Paste

Peter West

Reaction score
Hi All. Does any one know where I can purchase a jar of concentrated shrimp paste,human grade,tried supermarkets but they only seem to sell small packets, I am led to believe its used in Chinese cookery,not tried all markets though. Peter

D

Deecy

I have yet to see a paste form in the Chinese supermarkets around London so use the block form which is sold widely in Chinese food outlets such as Wing Yip (online store if you search) including very cheaply CC Mooore.Grate this ,or if you want it in paste grate and blend with sunflower oil.The original block form is the best and most potent ,don't be fooled by the bait companies versions, rip off I am afraid.

R

roto fryer 1

shrimp paste is available from all chinese/thai supermarkets/shops.
i used to bring mine from thaialnd which was of a far superior quality to what you could buy here: it works!

Peter West

Reaction score
Thanks Deecy roto Saw somebody on bank who was using it and told me how good it was, he gets a small jar of it from his local Chinese who gets it from there supplier, didn?t get name of manufacture he had taken label of, but it was really strong smelling and concentrated, agree with what you said about bait companies rip off price, struggling to find a Chinese market in this area, but just realised niece is going to Thailand for a month next week, must give her a ring from her favourite uncle and wish her a happy holiday. Peter