Personal Best

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

What does this mean?

Let's hear all your definitions.

malc

Reaction score
The best I can achieve, each time I go. If this happens to be a blank, then so be it, for there is always something to be learned, no matter what! Thats the only PB I ever have planned!

M

madpiker

personal best doesn`t mean the best fish that i have caught,i call the heaviest of each species that i have caught personal bests,in weight terms,not looks or condition etc.in my opinion,far too many anglers rate fish by their weight rather than size,looks or condition.
the angling press must take some of the the blame for this,for example,if someone ever caught a pike from a trout water that was heavier than the present record,they would be saying that it was the "biggest" pike ever caught from britain,it would probably be around 45 inches in length and very fat with a small head.neville ficklings thurne record of 41lbs was,i believe,49 inches in length with a head to match,it weighed less because it was carrying a lot less fat ,that to me is a bigger fish,even though it weighs less.

M

madpiker

given the opportunity,i would rather catch a fish the size and weight of nevilles than break the record with an obese pike from a trout reservoir.that doesn`t stop me from fishing trout ressies,i just put things into perspective.

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi all,out of these three, 31lbs carp,7lbs 6ozs chub,10lbs 13ozs barbel,would have to be the chub,as it was caught from a club stretch of the dorset stour{not throop}the barbel,although not huge gave me the hardest fight,the bait for the chub was caught on a very tiny piece of chipolata sausage.cheers derek.