Brilliant Beefy

J

john ledger

Anybody been watching Ian Botham on Sky TV(Botham on the Fly)
The man has been brilliant and has come over as well as anybody,no bull just excellent viewing. Not a fly fisherman myself but i reckon Boths doing a good job in very scenic surroundings with some good guests ie Eric Clapton.
As Beefy said at the end of one programme" Anybody who does not like this does not know what they are missing"

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

You should try a bit of fly fishing John.

Nothing like trying something different.

J

john ledger

Yes Ron i might just have to give it a shot.Would love to fish the Wye around Bakewell

Y

yoggy

Its something i"ve always fancied having a go at,but its the initial cost thats always put me off,and john,i agree beefy made really good viewing,a refreshing change to all the repeats!!.

J

jason fisher

the initial cost aint any worse than coarse fishing really, couple of hundred quid for a good quality outfit that will sort you for years.

J

jason fisher

the pain ful thing is learning to cast, i know i'm trying to learn now.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I can vouch for that! It does get better though, as time goes by

J

john ledger

Think you are right Jason,only problem i would have is finding time to do it when coarse fishing is easier option. Must admit i fancy it ,just dont want to make a fool of myself

F

Feeling tranquil

I think most open minded anglers would like to try something so different as fly fishing. Pole fishing isn't my cup of tea but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand - would certainly try it with some expert tuition we've discussed on a previous thread.

As for Beefy - well he's one of my top three sporting heroes and couldn't get it wrong if he tried!

J

john ledger

Yes Beefy was one of the greats and comes over the same when fishing

Y

yoggy

Jason,i have had a look at setting myself up with a decent fly fishing set up and your right in saying that its no dearer than coarse fishing.But what i found expensive was the actual days fishing!.Most of my coarse fishing is done on club controlled waters[mainly rivers],the most expensive being 35 quid for a season,but with that i can fish as many times i like,when i like.Most of the local fly fishing clubs i enquired about were over 200 quid a year and then i had to be put on a waiting list.My local big stillwaters Rutland and Graffham charge at least 30quid just for one days fishing,,to me thats expensive when i can pay the same to go coarse fishing for the same price for a whole season!!!.Ok i know there is a difference here,but i used to do alot of shooting,but sadly now not so much because of the cost of cardridges and syndicate charges etc.Over the years anything to do with "GAME"[and this includes fish],has just become alot more expensive,so in my view coarse fishing is alot cheaper.Regards.

J

jason fisher

i agree totally yoggy, but you can find the dd place where you can fish for about 15 quid per day.

J

john ledger

Yer a hard man jason but its a hard life you are living.
Surprised no Yorkshireman has been on with
"How Much"

E

Ernest Frith

Hi All.

Fishing the fly dosn't have to be expensive. Why not try the fly for coarse fish? Chub, Dace, Roach, Rudd,Perch, Carp and even Tench will take a fly. If you want the ultimate in fresh water flyfishing (coarse fish) try flyfishing for old Esox; once you have hooked and landed a Pike on the fly you'll be down the road to flyfishing madness.

Tight Lines.
Friter5 (a confirmed fluffchucker)

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
yoggy,got the pc repaired and up and running again today....near me,there is ringstead grange,elinor and eyebrook trout fisheries and all are pretty reasonable and have good fish limits i believe .if you are wanting to fish from a boat for the day,youv`e got to split the cost between 2 or 3 of you then its a darn site cheaper.
there must be an enormous satisfaction in eating a trout caught by yourself and especially if its on a fly tied by yourself as well......