help please !

ryan.b

Reaction score
hi, i'm about to start match fishing soon, and wondered if any 1 had any tips. and also does any1 know if leeda has a website ???? can't find 1 and i am currently waiting for a section to be returned for my leed blue diamond 16m pole. its section no. 1 does anybody have an idea as to how much it will cost if i have to pay for it?? hopefully i wont though because the section was faulty
thanks, ryan

Edward Keen 2

Reaction score
I have a tip i am starting match fishing soom to for my county and my top tip is to make sure your seat box is all et out so you can be quick in a match eg as soon as u open a draw on your box you can take out what you need straight away without moving things match is alll about speed!

Do you have anu tips for me

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
These days Ryan with so many different venues to chose from thebest tip I could offer would be:

1. Concentrate on 2 (local) venues if you want to be regularly successful.

2. Go and watch a few matches on each venue and work out what the winning methods and baits are. After a match most match anglers are more than happy to tell you how they fished it and with which baits.

3. Have a practice session or two on different pegs and make up enough rigs to cope with the match, and then make a few more just in case.

4. Prepare well for your first match, have all of your kit clean and in good repair, your baits as fresh as possible and if using groundbait make sure it is riddled well to avoid lumps.

5. Keep an accurate record (write it down straight after the match) of how you fished, what you did right, and wrong, and learn from both for the next match. Make the necessary changes to your match plan for the next event, if necessary.

6. Write down your match plan and re-read it before you kick off.

7. Give yourself as much time as possible to rig up and try to make sure that you have a few minutes spare before the 'all in' to reflect on what you have learned.

8. Have everything neatly to hand including spare top 3's or 4's as required. Ease and economy of movement are great time savers.

9. You catch 'nowt with your hook in the air' so make sure that you retrieve and re-bait and re-cast as swiftly as possible.

10. Feed to your bites but keep the feed going in. If the bites are slow to come then reduce the amount of fed but NOT the regularity of your feeding.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edward Keen 2

Reaction score
thank you ever so much i apprecieate your reply very much can youm recommend and cheap 16m poles

ed

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ed,

What sort of pole are you looking for, one for silver fish or a carp pole?

Also, what do you consider as 'cheap' better yet, what is your budget for the pole?

Edward Keen 2

Reaction score
thanks for emailing back i am looking for a pole that would catch bigish carp for match lakes

my budget is 0 to 600 pounds

What pole do you use

Edward Keen 2

Reaction score
im will tell how my matches are getting on as soonas they startmy first one is on the river can you suggest any roach groundbait

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ed,

For Carp on the pole I still use my Milo Odissea at 14.5m. But for silver fish I have a Milo 10-10 at 16m which is probably the best pole I have ever bought. Rigid and lightness combined.

If you really need a 16m Carp pole then Preston Innovations Diatex Power Carp Pole is a good buy at around ?650. If you look around you can probably get it cheaper.
It has a good wall thickness, decent balance and is reasonably stiff as well.

Edward Keen 2

Reaction score
cheers do you fish for pike at any time?
i got a horrid fishin story to tell ye if you want?

ed

Beecy

Reaction score
Best advise I can give newcommers to match fishing is not to fall into the trap (as I did) of over complicating things. Pick one or two methods that suit the venue and that you have confidence in and stick to them. Dont try to fish 5 or 6 different methods, chopping and changing all day as you just end up confusing yourself.

kingfisher

Reaction score
hi i began match fishing about a year ago,i started off well with two nice barbel,that put me in the frame.since then i have struggled every match to win a match you need about 8lb of roach dace perch i finsh with about 3lb if im lucky, but i enjoy the day,and that the main thing can any fisherman on the forum help thank you

kingfisher

Reaction score
Hi i have just got back from fishing enjoyed it but it was hard work to get two and half pounds of small fish,I used the stick. and feeder method chop worm and maggot not had much luck at the moment and losing confidence fast can any one advise thank you

stikflote

Reaction score
RYAN B

you said you are waiting for a number one section, you can fish with out that section,most anglers take it out unless in a match top kit YOUdo know that the number one section is the thinest piece poles are number from tip down so your butt section the thickest is your number 9 section if its a nine section pole ,which i think your blue diamond is P,S most number ones can be made to fit they are usually telescopic