You helped me out with alarms

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Which is the best medium sized bait runner or bait feeder reel on the market. I am looking for reels that will take a minimum of say 200 yards of 15lb line.

Price does not come into it. In the long term, as we all know, the best is often the cheapest.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Shimano super aero 10000XTE.

And Leslies have them in Ron!

malc

Reaction score
Wol. Isn't the XTE the double handled jobby?

If you prefer the single handle Ron, take a look at the Shimano Big Baitrunner M. Nicknamed "The Big Blues".

These are superbly engineered reels Ron and bit bigger than most baitrunners (Long Casts aside) with good line capacity.

Leslies also sell these.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yes double handle which i would prefer.

Taken from Leslies.........

The 10K as popular bankside jargon dubs this magnificent reel, has 30% extra spool capacity over the current 6000 & 8000 size Baitrunners. Line is thus wound over a bigger diameter, placing it under less tension. The upshot is longer casts, unimpaired by embedding or whiplash. Add the attributes of Shimano's technology plus 11 ball bearing equivalent performance for a genuine stand alone ball bearing equivalent performance for a genuine stand alone big fish reel. Spare polished aluminium spool supplied.
Line Capacity: 10000XTE 12lb-380m

D

Deecy

Don't be fooled Ron, Shimano 3500B Baitrunner is the one to have,proper fishing reel colour too.Marine gearing for the American Tarpon and other coastal fishing.Ask Tim Ridge he uses them on the Trent ,never heard of one fallng apart.Shimano Baitrunner 3500B 4.6:1 300/8lb, 250/12lb Shimano Baitrunner Reels Features:
waterproof, heat dissipating front drag with non-centering bail
aluminum spool
anti-reverse switch
three stainless steel ball bearings
stainless steel spool shaft
collapsible handle

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Ron I'd say the best reel worth their sort is the shimano technium 10k, but that aint gonna suit your requirement matey. Go with Wol, for medium (as per your requirement) then spot on. Although the 8000's will do the same job for your need detailed above.

B

Big Rik

I've got both.
The 10k XTE's are superbly engineered and either those or the 8000 would suit Ron best for the Trent, IMO, although the 3500, or Seaspins are absoluely unbelievable and tough, but would probably out-last Ron, as mine are probably close on 20 odd years old and Ron will probably only need a reel that lasts 5 years max.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

OK I think I am seeing which way to go.

Another question - honestly, what do you really think of Okumas?

The way I see it if I spend my money on a top reel I want some sort of serviceabilty from the manufacturer and Okuma is nothing like as good as Shimano.

I have had a Shimano Stradic 4000 GTM now for nearly ten years and have used it for all sorts of fishing. It has never let me down.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I've had 2 Okuma 050 dyna drags for five years and have had no problem with them. Obviously they are no where near the spec or quality of the Shimano's. However they only cost me ?19.99 each and came with 2 spools and have done what I wanted them to do.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
No offence Richard but how much fishing are you doing these days, the reason I ask is that Ron's out ALL the time. Would the Okuma's serve the time re: lifespan and heavy use?

Ron, I've had many reels, from ABUS' through to Daiwa and no matter what you rely on to make your decision you've got to pay attention to service and those guys in Wales are simply second to none on price and speed of return. Shimano all the way when it comes to Reels!

Even when the ginger spanner collapsed in a mess pi55ed out of his head and broke the handle of my Techniums, Shimano stated they'd never seen a break like it but still done the business and turned them round to me in no time.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Not wanting to contradict anything stated above as I totally agree with whats been said, I have a pair of sporteras which I won and even though I have only used them for a short time I think they are a decent reel and have a good solid feel to them.

JC

Reaction score
Shimano through and through for me too. Got a pair of 5000RE's for me tenching and 4 6010s for piking and carping.

The 6010s are getting on for 10 years old and I have never had any trouble at all with them, despite carrying my gear in a quiver all that time. They've been chucked in the car, dropped in water, mud, cowpats and been used very heavily in all weathers known to man, and are still as smooth as the day I opened the box!

The 5000s are 2 years old and get treated the same, again without any hassle.

When the time comes to replace them I will have no hesitation going for Shimano again.

Guy Baxendale 2

Reaction score
Ron - have a look at the unfashionable Shimano 3500b or even 4500b. Tough as nuts and an incredibly smooth drag. Leslie's do them, I have a pair for my barbel fishing on the Thames and would not be without them now.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I've made up my mind and ordered them. 8000 GTEs which will also be used for my fenland pike fishing.

Got them for ?84.99 each

Thanks for all the advice guys

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Ron you can also fit 6000 GTEs spools to them reels as the reel bodys are identical its just the depth of spool that is different.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That's one of the reasons I went for them Byron.

I phoned an old mate of mine and he told me they are just the ticket for barbelling and general piking.

I've decided to use my 4000 Stradic GTMs for lighter work. The 6:1 gear ratio is just a little too much for the Tidal with 4 oz on the end.