why do we fish...

forilion

Reaction score
Hi, I was getting into one of those 3am whisky fuelled conversations about why we fish.. is it all about the catch or is it about enjoying the time away from everyday crap we all have to do and be somewhere chilled with people who love doing the great sport that we do. For me it is all about getting away from work and being somewhere chilled and catching a fish is just a bonus.. but what about everyone else - whats your view?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
you see i'am a lost coarse,people say they go fishing for it gives them pleasure ,but
its goes much deeper for me it's a adictive
compulsion i'am a fishing junkie the need to go fishing is engraved in every fibre of my being,and if i spend any period with
out fishing i start to get with-drawl type
symptoms i become irritable & have mood swings from sulking to downright grumpy,the
only things that help allieviate the gloom
is watching anything remotely associated to
fishing or go online and join in with some
group therapy but these measures only quell
the tremmers & twitching at best reduce my
symptoms temporarily until the urge decends
upon me.the best results come when i actual
experiance "angling in the wild" when i get
my fix and all the symptoms just fade away
and i get that HIT of tranquillity.♥

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi forillion,sorry dont know what your name is,i only fish for barbel now,on the hampshire avon and dorset stour,well why do we go fishing,i must admit that when i was about twelve years old the first few times i went fishing to be honest i thought it was boring when you caught one it was about two inches long,but it was the ones that broke your line and bent the rod that interested me,and since then ive been fishing for big fish.but theres another side to fishing as well,the surroundings that we fish in,the widlife,and at piece with everything,catching a fish is almost a bonus.it can get very hard,when after barbel you think you know where they are and next time theyve all dissapiered,and you have to go and find them again,can involve a lot of walking,after 50years fishing dont think i will stop now,unless i have to.good luck.derek lewis.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The reasons why we go fishing are a lot more complex than getting away from it, or the surroundings, or the wildlife.

It is connected to the deep seated instinct in virtually all of us to hunt.

To get the better of a wild creature meant far more that catching, trapping or shooting it. The ability to do so meant life itself for the hunter. Did those ancient hunters feel exilerated when they finally killed their quarry? Of course they did. And not only that they paraded there quarry in truimph back to their village. And often kept the horns or the head as a trophy.

In modern coarse angling we still set out to hunt or trap our quarry. The difference today is that we don't want the fish we catch. We put them back to fight again.

What we DO want is the pleasure that overcoming the difficulties of catching them gives.

And the trophy is not a dead carcase, but a photograph.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I fish for many reasons, the relaxing atmosphere of the riverbank, the wildlife that no one but the observant patient angler sees. Also the technical aspect of rigs and presentation and of course the thrill of that awsome bend in your rod!

davestocker

Reaction score
As with many areas of human activity, I?d rate the enjoyment that comes with problem solving to be the key to understanding the appeal of activities like angling. The problem is ?How do I catch a fish/a big fish/that big fish/lots of fish here, today, in these conditions??. The pleasure comes largely from achieving something you?ve set out to do.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I fish because i enjoy time to myself to get away from it all although deep down i know its because i need to out smart those fish i need to show that i am masculine i need to show i can provide i can hunt i am the proverbial cave man i can pit my wits against nature and i can succede i can conquor it i am top of the tree i am the number one species.

Deep down thats why we all do it its just we dont all realise it.

E

Eric Hayes

I go along with some of what Ron and the other guys are saying.

It is definitely the hunter-gatherer instinct that drives me and I've been doing it on and off since I was Six, although at six I didn't care about the whys and the wherefores.

The need to be next to the flowing river is something else that I can?t explain. My guess would be that the river thing is about the positive ions that running is water is supposed to gives off but I?m only guessing all I know is I don't get the same buzz from fishing a still water.

And it?s a Christian sport. you know Jesus did have some good friends that where Fishermen.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

To me, a flowing river is far superior to any form of still water, with the possible exception of natural lakes. Although there were never many of these in England. Truly natural lakes in this country are few and are limited to the Lake District, Hornsea Mere in Yorkshire, The Norfolk Broads and the Cheshire Meres.

Although I do not despise artificial still waters. They do provide a lot of anglers with sport as well as myself

But a wild river is the ultimate. To persue a fish in this sort of environment really takes you back to the roots of angling.

To catch a truly natural wild indigenous species such as a river roach or barbel (in the rivers where they belong, not where they have been stocked) is the apex of angling achievement.

A 1 lb river roach is worth very bit as much a a 2 pounder taken from still water. And perhaps more, because you have to be a bit more skilled to catch it.

And that is another reason why certain aspects of angling appeal to me more than others.

A fish caught by using skill, irrespective of the weight of that fish gives you more satisfaction than a huge fish taken by accident, or a fish taken on tactics that require little skill.

Or it should do, if you are a real angler.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

I agree with every word Ron. There's something about a natural river that stirs the blood, In fact I think the first time I stood on the bank of a beautiful wooded section of the Wye with it's clear gravel runs and dark pools I actually got an erection.

john walker 2

Reaction score
the main reason i go fishing is because of my boyhood urge of being down the canal when i was a nipper with me fishing net catching sticklebacks and redthroats and seeing older kids catch a gudgeon or two,
Absolute monsters to me at the time and i had to get one, thus my road to angling began, after that it was a cheap tank ariel rod and a nightmare of a reel and the gudgeon came to me, by this time roach, perch, bream ect came to my attention seeing older lads and men catching them, after much harrassing and pleading me dad bought me a 3 peice rod (whole cane butt and middle & greenheart top) and an intrepid fixed spool reel what was then a good item, it was then that i 1st felt the real struggle of a fish on a rod and what a thrill feeling that rod buck and bend in my hand, that feeling has never left me & every time i hook a fish the feeling is as strong as in my early years,
basically the feel of a fish fighting and the will&want to learn how to increase that
struggle is th main reason i fish, the rest is just side benefits such as surroundings, wildlife, peace ect. the feel of a rod bending with a fish is the main reason of why i fish...j.w

Alex Toze

Reaction score
I have only been fishing for a couple of years now, it started with my dad maybe once a month. Now I go either on my own or my fishing buddy twice a week without fail.

Why......

The joy of knowing that at 3pm you can get the hell out of the office and race on down to the water.

The meditation. My work can be quite stressful so to be able to go somewhere and only think about what is going on in front of me is a god send especially when its very quiet.

The Skill envolved. I have never been very good at any sports, I don't think I am great at fishing but as its usually just me and maybe a couple other now and again who cares?

The rigs, the baits, the methods, the views, the venues, the getting away from the wife, the fact that I would be sat by the water rather then in bed at silly times.

I just love the whole sport and whats envolved, I get excited when I know im going fishing. People who dont fish think its sad but thats only because they dont understand.

Also in the last year I have started fishing the River Exe rather then the few commercial fisheries surrounding me. yes we have some great ones but it can get boring catching carp after carp after carp by using the same methods (wouldnt of said that last year)

The thrill of the river for me is sticking out my feeder and hook bait getting a bite and not knowing whats going to be on the end of it. Last night I caught an Eel, 4 Chub and a nice perch at a beautiful natural location with no one around. Beats a muddy pond full of over fished carp surrounded by holiday makers anyday

Thats me done!!

B

Bob Hornegold

Do we Need to have a reason to Go Fishing ?

I started fishing when I was 9 years of age on a local water in Epping Forest.

Its my Hobby, in the past I have had other interest- Golf, Motor Racing, Cycling, Gardening, even Women.

But fishing has always been there through the Good and Bad Times.

I dont really think its about the surroundings.

If I did not have Fishers Green on my doorstep, I would still be happy casting a line into the local ponds or gravel pits.

For me its always been about getting outside and getting away from the stresses of Real Life.

A kind of escape, which could be the problem with many of todays anglers, who see fishing more as a Job than a Hobby ?

Bob