Is there a rule of thumb

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Off the top of my head I would think that

Bream size 12-14
Skimmers size 16-18
Carp size 12+
Tench size 14+

Is this making sense. I mean, I am off fishing for bream later today so I will be fishing 2 red maggot on a 14 hook with cage feeder.
I think a 14 will be best just from what I think. am I right.

Can you see what im getting at?

As the tench I fish for are generally quite small I would think not to use a hook any bigger then a 14 when fishing with particles but speaking to a chap at a local association pond he reccomended I use a 12 (not that I caught any on either.

what rules do you have in your head?

hope this makes sense

Alex

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alex,
I would recommend you match the hook size to the bait and not the fish. For bream you can use a size 22 up to a 10 depending on the bait and if you don't mind catching small fish like ?oz roach and perch on single pinkie, to avoid them step up the baitsize and the hook size, corn, pellet, bread and meat on a size 10 will see smaller fish struggle but if they are really having it an even bigger hook could be used I would probably use size 14 - 10 with the larger baits mentioned though.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tend to use a small a hook as possible nowadays, as long as my hook bait does not smother it. Come to think of it, smaller baits aswell.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I am opposite to you Baz in most cases. I use the biggest hook I can get away with. I can bury a caster in a 16 fine wire hook.

For most of my barbel fishing I tend to use 8s and 10s. When I fish meat in floods I use 4s. For chub on flake or crust a 4 is ideal.

The smallest hook I have ever used in my life is a 20. I don't think I have ever used anything smaller.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Idiot Clay

I should say I can bury a 16 fine wire hook in a caster.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your not too oposite me Ron. I use a 4 for bread fleak and a 12 for pellet, rather than a size 8 or six as a lot do. And I catch more, as long as the pellet is tight to the hook and can not fall about.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
thanks guys, will sleep on this.

went fishing this evening (different venue then planned) was using a 14 to catch what I could with double white maggot. Caught a few gudgeon a chublett a lb ish roach and some other species of fish smaller then my skinny little finger (they were dark and had a thick dark line running down either side from head to tail, trout?)

Thanks again

M

madpiker

they sound like minnows the way that you described them alex

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Minnow's got to love them.

Yes Baz I was over the moon!!

Biggest Roach I have ever caught

Thanks everyone

Clive Kershaw

Reaction score
hi can you tell me if im usein the right size hooks i fish at a pond wear their is mixt fish not carp thour i have been usein size 12 and 18 whats the problem is im catchin more eles than bream or roach is my hook size to small or my bait