Reels?

Ryan May 2

Reaction score
Wondering what reels you fellas recommend? Which reels would you not recommend? I've had Shimano 4500B's, LC's and TFG V8 reels.

LC were a bit heavy, 4500 did not have the capacity or capability of long range fishing and the TFG...having used quality reels in the past, you can just tell these are not it.

Price does not matter. If the highest priced reel is indeed the best choice, then so be it. If a mid-range reel performs equally, then why spend the extra? Other than looks of course :)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I would go for one of the following dependant upon the style of fishing you were contemplating.
Small to average size lakes Shimano Ultegra XTB 5500. I like these reels as they are smooth in operation great clutches and spot on gearing comes complete with a spare spool for about £165.00 RRP.

shimano_ultegra_xtb.jpg

For larger lakes or where you need heavier line then the Shimano Poweraero has all the same quality attributes as the XTB but the line capacity is bigger. Price £250.00 RRP i think.

shimano_power_aero_xt.jpg

Top end well then i would go for Diawa ISO's but you really are paying a lot of extra money for just bling.

P1040574Medium.jpg

Good luck

Fred Blake

Reaction score
For small to medium waters where there's not too many snags or weed and you'll be using line of around 12lb bs, the little Daiwa SS2600 is excellent. Same size spool as a 6000 size baitrunner but with a far better clutch than all the rear drag reels, and nowhere near as bulky and heavy as most of the front-drag big-pit reels around. Also double as lovely pike reels. Retail price is around £90, but there are plenty of auction site sellers doing deals on them for as little as £60.

If you're contemplating fishing larger waters, or snaggy waters, or ones holding really big carp (upwards of thirty five pounds or so) you'll need a reel that can hold enough 15lb line to minimise loss of casting range. There are plenty about; one of the most established and widely used examples is the Daiwa Tournament 5000T, which has been around for years. Retail price is £200+, but you can pick them up cheaper if you shop around, and of course there are plenty for sale second hand on the carp forums or auction sites for a lot less.

Ryan May 2

Reaction score
I should have been a little more specific. I will be using them with my 3.25lb rods. One of our local rivers has fish over 40lbs. Most recent is a 42 back in September. I do not need distance at this body of water, but it would be handy at others.

I was considering Biomaster XTA's, Daiwa 6000T, Super Ultegra, possibly a couple others.

I would use these on the St. Lawrence. Big river with big fish. Plenty of snags and distance is sometimes needed.

Appreciate the help!