Fishing Platforms

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do we really need fishing platforms on rivers?
I have seen a few people mention them, but are they really needed? The rivers I know of certainly wouldn?t take to them. I don?t think disabled anglers come into it either, as the access down to most rivers is hard going in the first place.
Do you prefer a natural bank, or do you prefer a peg made of scaffolding poles and planks? Even some still waters are ruined by over enthusiastic peg makers. And don't forget, the ones who make the platforms in the first place, could well be sighting them too close to a good swim, or block it off all together.
What are your views?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I don't like platforms period. They look so bloody un-natural and you can't stick your idleback in them.

They are however necessary on very steep banks. Some sections of The Don would be unfishable without platforms.

What I hate to see are those horrid muddy puddles surrounded with platforms. What an eyesore.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hmmm, as I said about my Dad with his poor eyesight. The banks of the lower Avon are very steep, even the most agile angler is challenged to get down them, never mind a 63year old with bad eyes!

Puddles don't NEED them, proper bankside management is NEEDED on puddles.

Rivers with high, steep banks yes, but in moderation!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I see your point Steve.
But on a tidal river it wouldn't be much good would it.
Even on stillwaters they can be worse than useless, with the water levels up and down as they have been the last few years.
My club built some crackers, they were scaffolding poles with planks and a good solid job. The problem was that the water level dropped, which left the platforms stuck about three foot above water level and one bloke fell off one. It could have been a costly do.
Now they have to be pulled out and re-built, just above water level. This time a box with an infill of stone. The chances are the lake will flood and then they will be underwater.
You can't win.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
This part of the lower Avon is tidal, it used to have platforms for the match anglers (well built, solid jobs) but they have gone, along with the match anglers!
Years of neglect by the controlling club ( I've already named them, so get back to me Mr.P, if you can lower yourself to my level), about twenty, so far, if my memory is correct.
Many anglers are missing out on some quality fishing because the banks are inaccessible, what more can I say?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think most clubs are loathe to build substantial pegs on rivers anyway, because they only lease the fishing rights. They could spend hundreds if not thousands on a project like this and then lose it to a syndicate or something the following year.

Which incidentally is the way I think rivers will eventually go, especialy where barbel are concerned. The farmers and land owners will see the oppertunity sooner or later.
And who will it be that has given them the idea? No prizes for guessing correctly.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yeh I can see that Baz, but I think the writing is on the wall when the head bailif is boasting about the lakes on the card and how much money they are spending on them!

W

Wolfman Woody

Building any structure (platforms or levees) within 5 metres of a river required planning consent from the Environment Agency. Failure to comply could result in a hefty fine on the club's trustees.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would that include 'digging' the banks out aswell, to make it more accessible?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One of the problems of river pegs is the need to constantly dig them out and this causes a lot of damage to the banks, this is especially so where you have high banks and where the flow is forced into the bank by bends. You look at the banks of what was once the heavily fished match stretches of the Severn and Avon, there is considerable damage even now and any boat owner will tell you it is one of the ugliest sights on the river.

A great deal of the Warks Avon stretches now has platforms and it is soon concealed by foliage and doesn't llok bad at all, but I could imagine it costs a lot of money and certainly a lot of time in repair.

One of the more serious problems of platforms on rivers occurs after a flood when the platform is covered in silt and it becomes a skating rink and very very dangerous.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Too right Graham, we have to be carefull because of possible injury claims.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"any boat owner will tell you it is one of the ugliest sights on the river."

How many boat owners would admit to exceeding the river speed limit? Which also causes huge damage to high banked rivers.

How many boat owners are aware there is a speed limit? Not many on my local!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Would that include 'digging' the banks out aswell, to make it more accessible?"

Certainly. Any works whatsoever.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Woody, I wasn't sure but will keep an eye open for it in the future, as I saw one peg absolutely ruined last year, because somebody decided to dig the bank away for easier access with a pole.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
surely any fishery with platforms you have to fish from are leaving themselves open to all sorts of legal claims,should someone injure themselves on a poorly maintained one???
i have actually witnessed one of my brothers in laws falling in a lake due to a platform breaking under his feet.
a good laugh at the time but looking back it could have turned out nasty.....

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only the power of my catapult for fireing maggots at them mate.

I agree with you there Nick. one day the personal injury claims will start comeing in.
But I am not sure if there is not some kind of clause in the insurance policys or not. It will be worth finding out though.