Hook pulls

B

Bob Shuttleworth

I've been using Drennan barbless specimen hooks for ages with no probs, but have suffered a spate of hook pulls lately, specifically whilst float fishing for carp with sweetcorn or banded pellet on a size 14.
Any hook recommendations?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bob,
if by hook pulls you mean the hook dropping out, I get the same now and again, Drennan 12 specimen hooks.
I think it is more to do with the actual strike not setting the hook propely. I get the fish in, but the hook can drop out at the net. Or the hook could be blunt, or even the way the hook is tied on and not being set at the correct angle if you see what I mean.

B

Bob Shuttleworth

It seems to happen when a fish has bolted (ie I haven't had to strike to set the hook) and its a good fish (6lb+) that I've played for a while.
Maybe they are foul hooked or very lightly hooked, so its a problem that could happen with any pattern or it could be the old barbless hook working loose after a long fight problem.
Preston hooks seem to get mentioned in the press quite regularly, anyone using them?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is when I have expierienced it most Bob, when the fish has bolted. Maybe a tickle up with a sharpening stone/file would help?

B

Bob Shuttleworth

Thanks Baz. I'm not usually fickle, but I think I'll have to try a different pattern to remove that nagging doubt in the back of my mind!