Rain

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Graham informs me that the Dove and the Upper Trent look terrible.

It truly is time for heavy rains, and I do not mean those sudden tropical downpours which cause flash floods.

What we want is a month of cool weather plus day and night soft soaking rain. This is to get our aquifers flowing again.

I will scream blue murder the next time I see a weather forcaster on TV calling rainy weather bad weather.

Let's have reports if you get any decent rain in your area.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Very true Ron, I dread to think what my favourite river Wye looks like, I won't go because its almost certainly like tap water and way below normal summer level. Its been over three weeks since we had any rain in the west Gloucestershire area and even the lakes are looking very sorry for themselves.

It will all come at once I daresay as per normal, heavy downpours and localised flooding then nothing again, but they (the soothsayers) did warn us it was going to be a hot dry summer didn't they?

Bill Ling

Reaction score
I'm going on holiday to Devon on Friday, so fear not rain is on its way - well for the South West anyway.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Don't worry - the Ashes series starts tomorrow - if that doesn't make it rain, we're a' doomed!
Where can I get some peyote cactus for a globally warmed veggy patch?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry,
I'm sure there will be those amongst us that will try to convince us that fishing in low water levels is perfectly safe.

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I was on the Ribble at the weekend and was astonished at what I was faced with. There were great sections of bedrock stuck out of the water with narrow channels of river flowing between the odd section. In other parts the water was stagnant and barely moving. It really is down to its bare bones at the moment and in desperate need of increased water levels/flow. However, whilst it is in this condition it is the perfect opportunity to study the characteristics of the river bed, it has certainly opened up my eyes.

W

Welsh Goff

We had a bit of rain through the night and most of this morning, so i will be looking up our local river early tomorrow morning.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Can anyone give a report on the Dorset Stour water levels?

Cheddar Res' is about ten feet down in four weeks!

Amazingly, the Bristol Avon is still moving! I don't know where the water is coming from! But we definately need rain!

Just as long it's not on the week of the 6th August, camping at Croyde Bay.

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
Yep Mole,Wandle,Kennett look bloody awful.

I am thinking of putting the rods away until it improves.

Baz spot on mate.Rain due down here for the weekend,but not alot.

2 old dears live each side of me,one 79 the other 81,out with the hose every evening.Have tried but they are both "Mutton" to my concern

Jason

M

madpiker

apparently there may be some decent rain for most of the country by the end of the weekend,let`s hope that it`s not too heavy too soon and just runs off causing damage.
no doubt the drought will continue until the autumn and then we`ll get the monsoon rains and everyone will be moaning about flooding!
i can never understand why forecasters call wet days bad weather,the way things are at present,hot dry weather is bad,for us,the water table,wildlife,farmers and gardeners.
a national hose pipe ban is needed now and should be permanent,there is no justification in my opinion for wasting water keeping ornamental gardens looking nice and lawns green.the only water that i use for watering plants is my washing up water.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
DogBiscuit,

The Dorset Stour is getting low. Throop weir has the side aprons dry now for at least past 10 days. level has dropped about 3 inches in last week. Fishing is OK but as the weed starts to die back next month the level will drop very quickly (it never had anything to do with frost!) by late August it will be gravel bars out of the water I'm afraid.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, fingers crossed for some rain then. We've got a week on the Stour on the 3rd of September, we are really looking forward to it.
Can you tell me which stretches you would favour (barbel, chub, roach and bream), we are staying in Christchurch.

Thanks Mark.

Steve

J

jason fisher

i wish you lot would stop whingeing about soddin rain, it was at it again last night and this morning

B

Big Swordsy :O)

Plenty forcast for sun mon tues!

I am off and on the Trent Weds Thurs!!!

Fingers crossed