The strangest thing happened!

gentle

Reaction score
So its Sunday morning. SKy is clear and the sun is just breaking above the horizon. Its cold but not freezing and I have my Cpin and trotting rod and a nice pint of maggot. I pull up with my usual suspect fishing buddy at Prebends with the Cathedral at my back. Lovely.

2 Casts later I bank a nice brown trout. I clear off my hook and rebait with 2 white maggot.

5 minutes later the rod hoops round to another smallish trout. I disgorge the trout and find... 3 maggots on the hook 2 white and 1 red. Confused I tell my mate who laughs at me and asks what I put in my coffee.

So with significant bait still present on the hook I decide to re cast with the bait intact. 2 whites and 1 red.

5 minutes later another similar stamp trout is banked and I disgorge it to find.... 4 maggots on the hook 2 white 1 red and one bluish.

So I tell my buddy who goes into fits of laughter and says "pull the other one mate.... why dont you just cast an empty hook and see how much bait you can catch"

Has anyone else ever encountered the increasing bait phenomenon? Ive been fishing for years and have to say this is the first and second time its ever happened to me.

I have my suspicions as to how it could happen but thought Id throw it open to you lot for humourous commentary :p

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have experienced similar problems myself. About ten years ago a very good looking young lady moved into the flat opposite mine, these are maisonette type flats with side entrances, our front doors, kitchens and bathrooms all face one another.

Getting up on auto-pilot early one morning, I ventured into the kitchen to get a glass of water, as the kitchens are quite intimate I had no need to switch on the light . As I was sipping the water the light of the bathroom opposite was switched on and through the frosted glass I could see my neighbour disrobe and enter the shower, now while this may be erotic enough in itself, it was knocked into a cocked hat when her gorgeous cousin, who was staying with her, decided that as the bathroom was occupied, she would have a strip-down wash using the kitchen sink, "Wow", This then became their (and my) usual early morning routine. So frequent did my four thirty a.m. Trips to the kitchen become, that my wife suggested that I get my prostate checked out.

Now while I wouldn't dream of suggesting you are a pervert, it could be that in an erotically induced haze you re baited your hook while your mind was elsewhere. In my own case I often noticed later in the day that I had put on odd socks or drove in the opposite direction for several miles while going on my way work.

You may be experiencing similar difficulties yourself, in which case something in the tea or a cold shower may alleviate the condition..

I hope that this helps, best wishes.

Ray.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
As I was sipping the water the light of the bathroom opposite was switched on and through the frosted glass I could see my neighbour disrobe and enter the shower, now while this may be erotic enough in itself, it was knocked into a cocked hat when her gorgeous cousin, who was staying with her, decided that as the bathroom was occupied, she would have a strip-down wash using the kitchen sink, "Wow", This then became their (and my) usual early morning routine.
Can you not put just a little bit more finer detail on that story, Ray, or did the frosted glass take away some of it?

Tip: stick some some sellotape over the frosted glass and it becomes a lot clearer. Then come back and tell us the results...... I can't wait. :wh :p :cool:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I was fishing maggot once on a waggler, not catching much and was going to change to corn on my next cast. Just to get the ball rolling, I opened my bait box and I thought I'd fire a few grains across around my float. Then the float dibbed just after cataplulting the corn across. No fish, no maggot, but a perfectly hooked grain of sweetcorn. On a size 18 !

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Alas, they have now moved away. The old boiler who has now moved in turns my stomach with her clothes on, Karma I suppose.

Shimmying up the neighbours drain pipe just to have a perv could get you a couple of years in chokey. Plus, the kitchen window wasn't frosted and only about twenty feet away. If I'd thought about it at the time I could have sold tickets.

Ian Morgan

Reaction score
I am currently working in psychiatry, so am posting this with trepidation...

Yes this has happened to me recently! The last time I went river fishing was to try and catch gudgeon for my aquarium (certifiable?). This was before the weather turned. So I deliberately set up with single maggot, size 20 and fished close in, knowing the minnows might be a problem. Only bait I used was red maggot - not a single maggot of another colour.

In fact I was plagued by minnows, but also caught a few dace and small brownies no gudgeon unfortunately) - I tried counting several times and never had to wait more than 10s for a bite. BUT, on at least two and possibly three occasions, I brought in a tiddler with (one) more maggot on the hook than I expected.

Now I came to the obvious conclusion that I had absent mindedly put more maggots on the hook than I remembered. BUT it did occur to me at the time that I couldn't remember this ever happening before and I did wonder at the time if a more unusual explanation might exist...but then dismissed it!

What will make others even more sceptical I imagine...my experience was on the Tyne -I'm guseeing the 'pre-bends before the Cathedral' is on the Wear? Perhaps they've been putting something in the water up here!

Ian

PS. Having just done so...I wonder if there is no story too bizarre (fishing or otherwise) that someone else will say..."actually, that happened to me too!"

theartist

Reaction score
Well hooking another maggot has never happened to me and i ALWAYS use single red maggot. Maybe you chaps should stop fishing in your baitbox!

Joking aside alot of fish 'pouch' maggots in their mouth it could be these that are hooked when the fish takes your bait, either that or youre hooking your feed on the bottom.