What waterproofs

David Bruce 3

Reaction score
Having been soaked through my Ron Thompson two piece (mainly via the back at the elasticated section) I am in the market for a new totally waterproof long jacket (I think I'll keep the RT bib and brace section). My old Bob Church Ventile never failed but is just about finished after 20 years. The RT was to replace it but no such luck. Don't wish to pay silly money but you get what you pay for I guess.
Suggestions please.

mol

Reaction score
You can't beat the stuff from mountaineering shop, there wet weather gear is designed not to fail. It can be expensive but is worth the price.

If you want something cheaper then the army surplus stuff is well worth a look. I bought a pair of goretex pants from Transworld army surplus around 12 years ago, I've still got them and they're still going strong.

A plastic poncho takes alot of beating, they don't look good but they never leak and back away small.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the army gortex jacket and bottoms and they've been great. I prefer them to the bulky jacket, bib n brace outfits from tackle shops. Saying that I think TFgear do some great clothing and their waterproofs do look interesting. I have a few tops/fleeces and a jacket or two of theirs and they really are good quality. I usually get them through Fishtec as their service is second to none, no quibbling over returns, swapping items etc.

bigchub

Reaction score
Get a Trakker Nordic 2 piece suit (3/4 length jacket and bib n brace). Super bit of kit and it only cost me £99 from my local tackle shop which is a big saving. Its also in a nice subdued green color.

chav professor

Reaction score
You can't beat the stuff from mountaineering shop, there wet weather gear is designed not to fail. It can be expensive but is worth the price.

If you want something cheaper then the army surplus stuff is well worth a look. I bought a pair of goretex pants from Transworld army surplus around 12 years ago, I've still got them and they're still going strong.

A plastic poncho takes alot of beating, they don't look good but they never leak and back away small.

I'm with Mol on this one - I have a German army surplus poncho. £15 - never let me down, packs down small. Awesome!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm a fan of jacket over bib & brace and brand/source is irrelevant if it works. Best jacket I ever bought is a lightweight Wychwood now long discontinued [Wildrun ?] that is nobbut a nylon pac-a-mac really but its 100% waterproof and packs away to nowt. Lives permanently in the car & goes everywhere with me. No warmth in it mind as its unlined.

Bluenose

Reaction score
British Army Soldier 95 Goretex jacket. Cost approx £50 in A1/new condition.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to waterproofs you only get what you pay for.

I bought the Preston Dri-fish 1000 two seasons ago and it is truly superb.

Lightweight, breathable and totally waterproof. Storm cuffs and every comfort you can imagine.

Not cheap but then true quality never is.

irfonminnow

Reaction score
As a (mostly) fly fisher I wear waders for much of the time.

The Bison neoprene chest waders from ebay are a great buy (£60 inc postage), and I'm guessing will be comfortable to sit in for longish periods. They are certainly comfortable for a days fishing on the move. They have boots attached. A decent pair of socks and thats the lower bit dry and warm.

Jackets - take your pick. I've found that the breathable jackets are, in the main, expensive and will let water in after a season or two unless properly maintained.
A decent fleece and ex-army goretex is probably the best way to go for the upper body.

And a daft hat of course.
A Tilley (sweat-stained) is de-rigeur in the summer.
Thinsulate woolly hat in the winter.

David Bruce 3

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks everyone.
I tried the ex army gortex but couldn't find one with pockets or that I liked. I already have a poncho in my summer pack especialy when covering ground hunting out swims. Considered the TF range but finally settled on Sudridge Blizzard outfit Jacket and bib and brace - nice and flexible with removable fleece liner. No seams aross the back so no opportunity for leaks. Jacket quite stylish too. Bargain price from Cheshire Fishing mail order but as its not to far from me I was able to go there and try on several different styles and sizes( many makes and styles there, well worth a look if your in the market and near, but check directions as not easy to find) until suited.

Regards David

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I know its a bit late but for other viewers of this thread, particularly those with a MAkro card - they were knocking out Craghopper GORETEX jackets at the bargain price of £39+vat

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
David

I think you've gone with the best - I've been using a Sundridge Igloo and it's absolutely brilliant. And VERY waterproof.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
My blizzard leaked, even after washing it in techwash :(

My sundridge siberian remains water tight though :)

David Bruce 3

Reaction score
Blizzard

Hi PoshPaul, yes it's blue and I hope it does as well for me as it does for you. I could do with some disco action especialy when I'm blanking.
Jimmy, I hope I do better than you with the outfit. Did you try invoking Sundridge's guarantee?
Cheers David

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My sundridge siberian remains water tight though :)

I used to have a siberian and it was an outstanding outfit (worn it twice) but I sold it as I just feel too restricted in the bib n brace and then a bl00dy great coat over that.
Nowadays I prefer to stick to layers with a thinner waterproof coat (army gortex).

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Jimmy, I hope I do better than you with the outfit. Did you try invoking Sundridge's guarantee?
Cheers David

No, I'd had a couple of years by then, and when it went it wasnt just the seams the lot went.

As for the siberian I dont actually put it on until I'm at my peg and set (unless it s tipping it down) because as pointed out its very restrictive. Well warm once you're set though !

shangaa

Reaction score
Have you tried a little T,L,C. on you ron thompson gear like Nikwax to see if it will reproof this option would be the cheapest of all suggestions.